Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making DBPro work with VISTA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally set up DBPro to work with Vista. In part I did so by going here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=104612&b=1
and following the directions. Partly I did so by using my Windows Explorer utility to open C:\Windows\System32\ and seeing if d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_32.dll were listed [and neither one was!]

So I got online, entered those Directx upgrades in my search engine and then downloaded them and then transfered them to C:\Windows\System32\

Now here's where it gets tricky, the instructions at:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=104612&b=1

tell you to click on Start>All Programs>The Game Creators [if you DBPro application doesn't function properly] and right click on the DarkBASIC Professional icon [which is all very well and good except that my computer put that icon one level lower inside a DarBASIC Professionals Online folder - so be aware of that eventuality], and so once you have right clicked on the icon you Click on Advanced and then place a tick mark in the Run as Administrator box, and then click OK and then OK again.

I did this and IT STILL DID NOT RUN PROPERLY. I also followed several other several other sage suggestions in that list of directions, to no avail, and was about to permanently remove DBPro as a hopeless fouled up and useless waste of time and money and then KA-ZAM!!! It hit me that I should maybe ALSO right click on the desktop icon shortcut and examine it for intelligent signs of life.

Well what do you know but that there is ALSO an Administrators box there that ALSO has to receive an independent tick mark!

Sigh!

Well, this I did and guess what? By golly DBPro works just fine for me now! I apologize for everything evil that I was thinking about this great product!

Oh yeah, weeks ago I purchased Jonathan S Harbour's and Joshua R. Smith's DarkBASIC Pro Game Programming, Second Edition; and I heartily recommend it to any other bewildered newbies trying to get a handle on the application. My only lament is that it took about four weeks for it to get to my house via Amazon.com. I just got it yesterday in fact.

Oh yeah, I used to be a regular member of these forums several years ago, but left due to circumstances beyond my control - my old computer system went up in smoke [literally the hard drive smoked] and afterwards I just had too many other things to do; but now I'm back and this time I hope to be able to learn enough about DBPro to do something really nifty with it.

Opus

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 19:58 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 19:59
Quote: "So I got online, entered those Directx upgrades in my search engine and then downloaded them and then transfered them to C:WindowsSystem32"

That's a bit worrying. When you install DirectX, you do not 'transfer' anything to any specific folders, it does it for you. It sounds like perhaps you just downloaded the DLLs and didn't do a proper install. If this is the case, I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
It worked in Vista with no trouble for me, ran it exactly like I did in XP (double-click the Desktop shortcut) and it was fine.

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Um . . . but it does work. This is because DirectX IS already installed on my system, just those two DLLs were missing.

Hey,I'm so far from being a computer guru that it's not even funny, but I'll definitely keep what you wrote in mind in case anything in the future doesn't work the way it is supposed to. Thanks for the information!

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:04
DirectX 9 is installed on your system, yet DLLs are missing? That's impossible. You need to do a proper DX9 install, and then it has a better chance of working.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah Veron, I think the problem was that I started out with on old 2005 copy of DBPro and then upgraded it to the latest version and something somewhere along the upgrading process wasn't really happy with the way I did things. I did uninstall and try fresh, clean installs of everything many, many times, but until I did the things described above nothing worked for me.

I could kick up DBPro, yes, but it wouldn't compile and run even the simplest lines of code. So I'm guessing it was installing the old DBPro and then immediately going to the latest upgrade that caused the problem.

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:12 Edited at: 15th Jan 2008 20:13
Benjamin, I just opened your link and did what you said to do. A complete install. Everything is still working fine, and I thank you very much.

Whoops! I just rediscovered the Edit Post feature!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:16
Glad you got it working.

Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
It was good advice, and I do appreciate it. Have a great day!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:27:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:27:29