Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. I'm CeeKay, and I'm a total newbie.

I don't know jack about programming, but I can kinda run 3DS Max...

I've had some game ideas kicking around in my head for years, but never had the knowledge to get them moving. That's all changed now.

So, I'm currently trying to learn programming in hopes that one day, I'll get one of my ideas up and running... Until then, expect to see tons of idiot newbie questions.

- CK

-This Space for Rent-
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 18:12 Edited at: 19th Jan 2008 18:14
Welcome! I have only one tip: read this before you start coding. Those should get you started on the forums and on programming fairly quickly.

Edit: After you read that, don't bother with the tutorials there. They're all broken links for some reason. Look at this thread to get you started on coding.

[i]"Grow food in dirt? Save time — eat dirt."[i]
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 04:29 Edited at: 20th Jan 2008 04:30
Or these here which everyone on the DBP boards forget are there, (they start off assuming you've never written a line of programming in your life)...

The tutorials that is!

TDK_Man

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 04:33 Edited at: 20th Jan 2008 04:36
Newcomer?
As a newcomer to the TGC forums there are many obstacles,flamers,and trolls. But in the end those flamers and obstacles are out to teach the best way to program in DB. Many people (such as me) have learned from these obstacles and flamers.

Good Start Tutorials
Tutorials Thread by Zotoaster
Forum Rules and Newcomer FAQ's by JohnH
The Developer Network Tutorials (DBC/DBP)
How to: Present a Game idea, WIP, Team Requests or Program Announcement and handle comments, flamers and moderators. By: tha_rami

The Tips
(1). Don't act like Serjo Adjo.
(2). Please start out with pong, I had to learn this the hard way.
(3). Don't attempt an MMORPG or any other MMO.
(4). Don't start out the way I did (i.e. This Thread)
(5). Enjoy the forums and stick to one project at a time, I learned that the hard way as well.
(6). Use proper grammar please! Don't talk like this, (hallo! i wnt 2 make n ubr mmorpg. can some1 gizme teh codez?
(7). Don't ever make a religious or love life thread in Geek Culture. (I learned that the hard way).
(8). Always read the tutorials and stickies, sometimes they can have a load of information about 2D and 3D games as well.
(9). Need some help? Use the search button before asking questions.
(10). Want to play around or use code for your game, search in the Code Snippets or the Codebase.

These tips should get you to a normal TGC member. If you break one these tips you should be okay (as long is the tip isn't the one about me or Serjo).

Formerely Cool Guy Jordan
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 04:46
Zeus:

Why do you keep posting this? There are already two perfectly adequate posts (both stickied) which explain all that you put and a whole lot more besides:

One on the DBP board here and one on the DBC board here.

The whole idea of them was for forum users to just paste a link to the above threads instead of clogging up the forum with the same large posts time after time!

Please stop.

TDK_Man

CeeKay
Years of Service
User Offline
It's understandable. I can see how people come in here wanting to build the next World of Warcraft... Hell, I have my own MMO ideas sketched out on paper, but at least I know I don't stand a snowball's chance in Baghdad of scripting even the most basic of parts for an MMO. It'll all come together in time, though. First things first, I need to learn how to use a programming language. Then I can program a few simple games and get them up and running... So by the time WoW is a "classic" like UO is today, I'll maybe be able to build an MMO... :p

Actually, I want to start simple. There are a few simple applications I want to build for Windows as a start... First, I want to make a screen lock program. I fooled around with Mandrake when I was younger (9.1), and really really liked the screen lock function. I'd like to have that on XP. So, since I'm already trying to learn programming, why don't I try building it?

As for proper grammar:

As a grammar nazi myself, I try my best to use proper grammar. People who use n00bspeak (i wnt 2 go 2 th mall) irritate me to no end. :\ Also, I'm guilty of using way WAY too many smilies in my posts. :p

Thanks for the welcoming, guys!
- CK

-This Space for Rent-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:29:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:29:06