Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bizar Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 03:46 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 06:49
BIZAR ENGINE
Programed in Dark Basic Classic
(and to eventually be converted to Dark Basic Professional)

Keeping with the trend, here is the Bizar Engine. This has been a side project since long before most of the projects in the wip area were posted, including the current Dream thread. Only recently though have I spent serious time on it, and it's gotten to a point where I feel I have to show it to people who really appreciate this kind of development stage.

Anyways, click the link to see

VID LINK

THE 1ST BIZAR ENGINE DOCUMENTATRY VID THINGY

Edit: I may be wrong about the most advanced platformer thing, Teh Coder Had some pretty impressive stuff and without all the features I'll add with Sparky's, he might hold that title still.

When I say introduce a lot of new things to gaming, I mean that I’ve never seen them used before or implemented as such. I don’t mean to say that everything here is new, I just mean I personally think it’s impressive, especially since realistically I’m certain I can do all of it.

So what are the core components I think are so amazing?

The first two were covered in the video:
1) Advanced Mouse Control System-
The entire game is controlled through the mouse, with only secondary buttons that do not effect the gameplay being mapped elsewhere. You hold down the right mouse button and drag the cursor in the direction you want to go. Your distance from the character determines the speed. Releasing the button brings you to a halt and resets the pointer to the characters position. That however is an understatement of how much work goes into making a mouse movement system in something as fast paced and hectic as a platformer, where you're exploring in all three dimensions. The ultimate goal is for the character to be smart enough that you're more guiding him with the mouse than actually controlling him, and I'm well over halfway there. The reason I said this was the most advanced DB platformer to date is because of all the things you didn't see in the vid, which made going around the platformers with such a lose control scheme so tight and easy to use. I might at some point put his movement into the asimov AI system mentioned below, to give dynamically changing movement systems, to fit even better with the current situation. With the first demo release, you'll fully understand.

2) Advanced Smart(it's getting there) Camera System-
Basically a camera that not only can use any camera I throw at it, but is easy to code for and can adjust itself in realtime to work with the environment to keep the best and most artistic view of the player. I currently have everything but the realtime or "smart" part in place. The "smart" part of the camera will run on a modded version of the asimov AI system that I mention below, and will probably be the first thing to use it, as I consider camera AI simpler than Character AI, seeing how easy the camera is to work with at this point.

3) Realtime Music-
As in music that is generated as you play based on what's happening on screen, in a fluid song. This is mapped out and I understand the theory behind it even more than I did when I started items 1 and 2.

4) Scripting system with Cause and Effect-
An advanced version of what I already have in Dream, though with the ability to have a script that is affected by any cause and effect relationship I give it. The ultimate goal is to script an entire scene that can have as many outcomes as choices.

5) FLCL Style Battle System-
Three buttons, Attack & Block, Jump, and Dodge. Each picking the best fit move you know given your position and the situation. This is also planned out to the extreme, and I'll go into detail when I start coding it.

6) Realtime Animation-
The character will essential animate themselves, given boundaries I set. This one is hard to explain properly, as it’s going to start as nothing more than hard coded animations and evolve from there, the way the camera did.

7) Level Editor-
You’ll see- what I have down currently is specifically for Old School. I’ll keep this one under wraps for now, as I’m still working out how the different parts of it will work.

8) Asimov Style AI-
If you don't know, then there's no reason to explain. Anyways I'll go into detail when I get to it; just know I consider it the least impressive part of the project, as I'm an AI newb and it is only impressive in theory. I expect it to take two full games for me to get it right on anything other than the camera and the character, as I already know how to code the parts the AI would control for it. After that I can assure you it will be impressive.

9) Basic Physics-
I almost forgot!! It's not impressive by itself, seeing as this is going to pale in comparison to something like Dark Physics or any of the other big physics programs. Really, the only interesting thing about this is that it will be entirely adjustable in the code and will effect movement and AI in a lot of cool ways. Basic things included will be Gravity (check), Buoyancy, Traction, Bounce, and Momentum. Please tell me if I'm forgetting something crucial.

10) Character Interaction-
I'm adding this because I realized most people probably think this is a strait up platformer engine. Not so! This engine will handle pretty much all the future games I make (and what ever it doesn't do I'll add), and I'm not one to make a game because of it's genre. This stuff is really simple and is mostly part of the AI, but you'll be able to carry on conversations in text bubble like those from Dream, only with the type of interaction of a Bioware RPG (as in you have multiple ways you can respond when you talk).

Again, THIS IS NOT A STRAIT UP PLATFORMER ENGINE, MY MAIN FOCUS RIGHT NOW JUST HAPPENS TO BE MOVEMENT, WHICH I CONSIDER ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE ENGINE, AND I LOVE PLATFORMING.

All the other parts of the Engine can be classified in the listed categories, and more than that, I want to have a few surprises up my sleeve.

Graphics are outside the engine entirely, because I consider them separate. So don't expect anything really pretty until I start making Old School Specifically.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:03
peety cooles

- The Tru Idiot

alus.portbb.com go there.
Quote: A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes -zenicanin14 the 2nd stupidest user in the world
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:30
Well, Mr. Bizar Guy, I'm pretty much impressed. I was wondering, do you move your character around by clicking? The controls seem pretty unique and the sound of this whole thing is appealing.

I'm really worried Dream might suffer under it, though. A lot of people get too motivated on something else to bite through those last days of development...

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:35 Edited at: 28th Jan 2008 04:41
Oh, this is how I'm coping with the last few bits of Dream dev. I don't think I could keep myself coding Dream anymore without this. As I said in the Dream thread, please hold me to a end of Feb/ mid-March completion date. That's not the release date, that's when the game itself is supposed to be finished.

You move the character around by holding down the right mouse button and dragging the mouse in the direction you want to go. The distance from the character determines the speed. Letting go of the mouse button stops you from moving and resets the pointer to the characters position.

Edit: youtube says 0 views. Did neither of you watch the vid? Because that's the main attraction of the thread as of now.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:40
I watched it, actually. I liked the ending, and I'd love to support your viral hype .

Prolly just Youtube having maintenance, it has been having so on and off this night.

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 05:19
Well, it's seem an interesting engine you're making. I am particulary curious about the script system with cause and effect. This seems to be going well, and I'll look forward to see the engine in use in the next games you'll make. Kepp at it!

Windows Vista, Q6600 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram 800mhz - low latency, 8800 GTS 512 mb
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 07:07
Haha! Welcome to engine dev you too
Looks great and has your style for sure!

Click For Details!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 07:08
His style would be Bizar.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Your video blew me away! It looks really great, tons of things I haven't seen in any db game yet, looks really loose to. Keep working on this!

Zachaboo
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 17:27 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 01:41
[quote]Advanced Smart(it's getting there) Camera System"

When you mean all camera angles in the engine does that mean arial view the type of view you see on fpsc, because it would be cool and don't get pissed at me like you did at the dream forums please.

Im about to create my first game soon so wait please
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 00:04 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 00:06
@tha_rami, veiws are back, and feel free to support my viralization as much as you want.

@sett, so you know, I have little knowlage of scripting systems (which is why I need to make a full one and learn), but the cause and effect idea is that the outcome to each event will have a variable, and depending on what the variable is for any one, the script will have different sections it will point to in any event where that cause and effect would change something. I have it more planned out how it will work when it translates into code. I think though, that like the Camera, as I learn more it will become smarter and more versatile.

@Roxas, isn't wierd? I haven't even done anything but color boxes and it already has my style. Hmm, maybe the way my code works has a sort of style, like how I program the cameras and make the character move... I never even thought about it.
I also thought it would be good for the Wip board if people saw a lot of different and interesting engines all being made. I originally was going to wait until Dream was finished and just post an Old School thread and talk about the engine there, but I desided after seeing so many different engines, it would benefit everyone if I posted.

@Satchmo, Thanks!

@Zachaboo, ...Have we met (here's hint, don't answer that)? Anyways, as I said in the video, the camera system can handle any possible camera view you could think of, with any possible variations of camera delay ranging from infinite to none, and all different on each axis or orientation. So yes, I could do the editor camera from fpsc, or even a plain old boring fp veiw. And btw, you forgot to close your quote.

@All, don't expect a ton of updates until Dream is finished, or else tha_rami will have my balls. Next thing to expect is the addition of sparky's collision, and once that's in place, I'll make a collision map of the box level, with some more interesting angles. I'll also list most of the character's movement tricks that make the engine playable. So you can expect that probably by sunday (or sometime the week after, or the sunday after that... changing collisions is HARD). We'll see. I have towmarrow and thusday entirely free, but I intend to use that for Dream and No More Heroes.

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 00:08
well, sounds really good for a first attempt at script. But how will you implement this into a platformer game? I mean, which cause and effects could a platformer game have. Or maybe you are talking of, for example, if you activate switch #1, then open door to lever, etc...?

Windows Vista, Q6600 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram 800mhz - low latency, 8800 GTS 512 mb
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 04:51
Wow.......

just wow.

So much like mario platformers, which is GREAT.
Awesome controls for a computer, which is GREAT.
Without animations it looks a bit wierd, but so cool.
Nice background music, btw.

Cannot wait to see where this goes.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 16:33 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 16:33
Quote: "the most advanced platformer"

I'm planning to fight you for that title.....soon.....ish.....

The engine looks amazing. Can't wait for more updates.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 19:09
It looks really good, I especially like what you´ve done with the camera.

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 01:34
amazing as always

Come see the WIP!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 17:56
Pretty cool, I've never seen a platformer where you control your character using the mouse.

I would suggest that you give objects actual textures though, as solid colours look a bit bland. Proper animation for the character would be cool too, I think when those are done it'll give it a much better feel.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 18:58
In light of recent comments, I've added a few things to the first post to make this easier to understand.

Quote: "well, sounds really good for a first attempt at script. But how will you implement this into a platformer game? I mean, which cause and effects could a platformer game have. Or maybe you are talking of, for example, if you activate switch #1, then open door to lever, etc...?"

hmm, I guess then this engine does a bit more than strait up platforming. I've edited the first post.

@Dr Manette, thanks, though you should understand that this feels quite different than a mario platformer, or for than matter any platformer to come before it. The moves set I'm using is determined by what I think is the most fun and easy way to explore the world, using mouse controls. I've gone through a ton of different types of moves so far, and have gotten something pretty easy to understand. I'll be adding more as the world design evolves. The last thing I want is specific things in the environment that your character have to use in a certain way, like a swinging device. Something like a ladder would be necessary, but in general I want the moves to work anywhere the environment is shaped right.

Quote: "I'm planning to fight you for that title.....soon.....ish....."

Feel free to try, but understand this isn't even close to the end result. You'll have to work pretty hard to fight me for it, though I strongly encourage you to.

@zzz, thanks. You of all people seem to always notice the camera work.

@DB newbie, tanks.

Quote: "Pretty cool, I've never seen a platformer where you control your character using the mouse."

I hadn't either, which is why I'm so exited to be making it.

Quote: "I would suggest that you give objects actual textures though, as solid colours look a bit bland. Proper animation for the character would be cool too, I think when those are done it'll give it a much better feel."

I've added it to the first post, but this engine does not deal with graphics at all. I'll be doing animations, because they're incorporated into the actual engine on a number of levels, but the way I'm planning out added graphics to the engine, it's basically its own separate set of code, that basically drapes over the engine. Even the environment loading (which will be realtime) is separate and the graphics just plug into it. Like skinning a humanoid robot. All you see is the outside, but it's the inside that makes it work.

That aside though, once sparky's is in place I'll have a more interesting environment, even if it's just colored.

Been busy with Dream (stuff not worthy of updating form though) and more so classwork and GOW and NMH, but on the Bizar front, I'm optimizing the camera code, adding camera sets to it for the future AI, and working on the realtime aspect. I'll go into camera sets later, when I've got something worth showing a video of or the equivalent. I've also fixed some issues with the camera delay and the distance from character speed, so the character no longer jitters if you try and make him move extremely slowly, and now if you jump away from the camera and he jumps above the mouse, he wont stop moving. Ie: the move speed is determined from where the character would be on screen if there was no camera delay. Yeah, I'm not working on sparky's, but after an attempt or two, I decided that I need to get a decent amount of time and try and do most of it at once.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 23:21
Quote: "though you should understand that this feels quite different than a mario platformer"

Of course, I was referring to the wall jumps and such. The feel is everything, too. Glad to see some real innovation when we usually see lots of FPSs and the likes.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 03:04
Quote: "Feel free to try, but understand this isn't even close to the end result. You'll have to work pretty hard to fight me for it, though I strongly encourage you to."

I've got a couple things to finish up before I can seriosly get to working on it again, but you've got Dream to finish so its pretty fair. I have an awesome fighting system and jump system that I'm working on that will give you some good competition.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting. I haven't posted much lately and I'm trying to find excuses to post.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 12:22
Now that is cool! I remember seeing this in early stages quite a while back. Leaps and bounds I tells ya! Awesome stuff, look forward to seeing where this goes!

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 04:49
can you let me in on the theory behind the code for the mouse movement.

support THE FUGHTHRITS!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 22:18
sorry for lack of progress, you know, with Dream and all...

@aluseus GOD, it's extremely complicated, though the core is pretty simple. Basically the character tries to move in the direction of an object positioned around it based on where the mouse is on screen. I also take into account where the character is on screen, the rotation of the camera, and the distance of the mouse and the object. If you can produce something similar, please do. It really is an excellent control scheme.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 00:49 Edited at: 17th Feb 2008 00:55
Bizar, I was thinking, would it be better if you positioned the camera higher? So that you had a top-down view?
I think I read somewhere that you´ve played phantom hourglass, something similar to that is what I´m meaning.
Just a suggestion.

Edit: But then your beautiful camera system will be useless?

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks rather amazing, its the most innovative control scheme I've ever seen in any DB language game (or indie game for that matter).

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 04:31
@zzz, a camera that high would defeat the purpose of the control scheme, insofar as that it would simply not be as fun to do. I'm making is very easy to use at any camera angles as well- my controls are a good deal more complex than the ones in Phantom Hourglass in the movement.

@Natflash Games, Thank you.

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 15:39
i don't quite understan bizar

support THE FUGHTHRITS!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 18:43
Then you need to figure it out for yourself, because I'm not releasing the source code, as least not for a long time.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 19:35 Edited at: 17th Feb 2008 19:36
gimme teh codez!

Nah, just joking.
You really should try to get this to work with a wiimote, don´t you just have to use glovepie or something like that?

That´s just another suggestion though, I´m full of them!

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 22:02
your releasing the source code? Quote: Inconcievable!

it's ok bizar, ill see if ic an figure it out myself...

support THE FUGHTHRITS!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 00:31
Quote: "your releasing the source code? Quote: Inconcievable!"

LOL! I dont think so..
[quote]

Click For Details!
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 02:01
May I ask, why did you quote your sig? lol

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 02:14
Cuz im retard

No..
Not really.

Click For Details!
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 16:46
dont steal my line roxas...

are you going to charge money for this bizar?

support THE FUGHTHRITS!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 23:44
Charge for what? The engine? I'm only making it for me. Charge for Old School? Yes. However, I'm making a lot of games with this. I imagine a few will be free.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 15:13
Are you going to finish Old school? Wohoo!

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 18:13
I guess I'm not the only one salivating over this engine, then. Thank goodness.

Now to go into cryogenic sleep till Bizar Guy releases his games...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 18:49
Quote: "Are you going to finish Old school? Wohoo!"

In a sense.

Quote: "Now to go into cryogenic sleep till Bizar Guy releases his games... "

Obviously,

I've had some time to spare from Dream and College to work on this, and I've fixed some bugs in the camera where it wasn't reading half the camera AI I had recently added. I also have some theories on the camera sets in action now, and the camera is feeling really awesome overall. I'm taking a psychology class this semester, and it's given me a ton of ideas, and helped me understand better how I can make the engine feel even more like you can do anything. I think I've got the exploration theory down well enough now that the player will get a real sense of a accomplishment and excitement from going places. I'm already at the point where most people have fun just running around the world, which is pretty good.

So, has anyone guessed what that bar at the top of the screen is?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 20:06
I was guessing Stamina, judging from the video...

Give me an ounce of Puyo, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination.
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 18:23
Yea, Stamina seems likely.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 22:32 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 22:48
Close enough.

I call it endurance, but basically it's the amount of energy your character has available. The less there is, the less you can do, the lower it is, the more exhausted you are. There is a second variable then which was recently added, called Stamina. Stamina is your total amount of energy, as in the energy you get from sleeping and eating.
Think of it this way: In real life you could lift weights until your arms were so tired you just couldn't do it anymore. Wait an hour, and you'll be able to lift them again, but not for as long, because there's already strain on them that hasn't gone away. And then say you haven't eaten since yesterday or slept. Obviously you're not going to be able to do as much at once, and it will take longer for you to be able to do it again. So in the engine, the amount of Stamina you have effects the speed your endurance increases (which is not only when you're not losing endurance, but the force that counteracts amounts of endurance you're losing that are less than the rate of recharge).
The Endurance-Stamina system makes you actually think about what you're doing. Say you want to jump up the waterfall. From full Stamina and Endurance, you can only fail it 2-3 times before you don't have enough stamina left. So then, this is where one of the most ridiculous things in gaming is made sensible. Running forever in most game excusable, and usually necessary. Heck, in the standard configuration, the Bizar Engine will let you run forever if your endurance-Stamina ratio is above a certain point. But Why does eating food make your health go up? Come on. eating food and drinking liquid will eventually replenish nutrients your body needs to heal, but not instantly. So what food (or whatever the variable is called), increase the rate your stamina goes up a LOT for a certain amount of time. And not only does stamina effect the rate Endurance increases, it also effects how fast you heal. So that way food helps you heal, in a way much closer to how it actually might.
This system isn't trying to make the game into reality, it's in place to make exploring a very active experience. You can't just fly around a level you've memorised because you're just that good, you have to make sure you take time and let yourself catch your breath, as it might be said.

Stamina and Endurance, as I mentioned a relation to health, are part of the most advanced set of real time character stats in any game ever, to my knowledge. The health system I'll reveal when I add it, which I think will really turn the battles and exploring into a thrilling experience, that makes you think on the fly, but makes enough sense you can just look at what's happening on screen and manage it. If you think of stamina and endurance alone, you can get that a fight will be decided in a set amount of time, and that neither you or your enemies will be be button mashing ever. I'll go into more detail once the entire system is in place, and explain how ever attribute effects the others.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 22:39 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 22:39
That's rather intricate. But, say I've "completed" an area for now, and have to leave via this waterfall (or other tiring obstacle). I screw it up three times, and haven't the strength to get back up. What do I do now? It seems I'd have to mope around for a minute while my endurance replenishes itself. Isn't that something of a conceptual flaw, or is there stuff that rights this that I've skipped over?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 22:41
That's a darn good reason not to fail three times, or to have food with you when you try something like that.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 23:00 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 23:53
tha_rami is right. There's a lot of incentive to do something right, and a lot of risk involved. It makes it much more exciting and rewarding doing it right. There are in fact worse things that could happen if you failed to make it up a very high waterfall the first time, which I'll go into later.

The answer is you can sit down. Sitting down increases the speed you replenish endurance, food increases the rate you replenish Stamina.

But then if you've seriously lowered your stamina, your endurance wont replenish fast enough to make it up the waterfall regardless. Then you'd have to eat some food on you, and in a few seconds you'd have enough stamina to do it. If you're out of food, you can go buy some more or perhaps sleep for a bit (I'm thinking this would make you wake up at a point when your stamina was full in the day cycle, blacking out for a second or two as a transition, or waking you up if something happened while you were asleep, giving reason to find somewhere safe to sleep), and if you want to save your food you could look for a path that doesn't require so much energy, because wall jump up a waterfall takes a lot out of you, as you might imagine.

So you see, you have to think about how to do this, and be able to judge your own limits. And more so, jumping up a waterfall is just a timing game, and is very easy at full stamina, and would not be presented as a challenge until later in any game, when you knew how the system worked and played to preserve your energies. You'll be seeing very different level designs than you have before, and you'll find yourself being much more careful with your character. If you play smartly, you can explore for a REALLY long time losing hardly any stamina.

Edit: If you read the sleep thing, you can imagine what dangers there might be in an open ended game. You might be robbed, attacked, hit by a natural disaster, and so on. So even if you're exhausted, you wouldn't want to sleep right in the open. But that gets into more game related issues (and less engine ones), and farther away from the simple aspect of the character stats system, which allows you to fall asleep as a method of replenishing stamina.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 02:54
...Hit by a natural disaster... heh...

"You fell asleep".
"You got hit by a meteor shower."
"Game over."

*Crap! Not again!*

I like all those ideas!

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 05:19
I think I'm a bit skeptical like Monocoder, but I see where you're going with this. Part of me almost says "woa, complicated equals bad!" but if done right the stamina-endurance method could work very very well.

Sounds like you're meshing RPG with Platforming to me, not that I'm complaining. I like where this Engine is going. Dare I assume you'll have a day-night cycle and even apply the same methods of stamina and endurance with health to the eventual AI? Hmm... bizar...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 21:18
@ tha_rami, http://www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/archive.php?id=300

To make it clear, Endurance replenishes fast, Stamina would take longer that anyone would be willing to wait to replenish if it's low. I'm guessing 30 minutes from near zero, because at zero you faint and wake up when it's full. And though this seems complex, it works exactly the way you expect it to. You know how games are made fun of because your character never runs out of energy? This fixes it in a way that just makes sense. It's easy to manage because it's all controlled by your movement, and what you expect to happen will happen. The only micromanagement you have to do is sit down (which you'll do a lot once your stamina isn't near the top), which is currently mapped to the middle mouse button because it's actively important. Eating food and sleeping are just pushing a button. This isn't like trying to manage some abstract numbers, you have two bars on the screen which effect each other, and you've got you common sense which tells you your guy can't move forever. More than anything, it feels like the character you're directing is a real person, and not just a figure on the screen.

And yes, the Bizar Engine is contained in no one genre. The movement is that of a platformer, the attributes are designed like an RPG, the fighting is made like- well, like FLCL, and so on. Day and night cycle is easy, at least in timing everything by it. It would just have to be a variable that counted the passage of time. However, I also wouldn't have to use it. It would just be important for the engine to be able to handle such a thing. The Bizar Engine is not being made to cover everything in Old School, but for the game coming after it.

The AI will have stamina and endurance, assuming it is human. That's the plan anyways.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 06:37 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 16:50
Alright, I know I said no graphic work would be done, but I just can back from three hours of computer art class after learning a ton about light. I mean we've been discussing light since day one as every color on the computer is made from light and that effects how you perceive it, and I got it the whole time. But suddenly today something in my head clicked, and I realized how I could create a graphic style shading using different colors of diffuse and ambience. Recently in my art I've been working with extreme contrast (in both ink and charcoal), and it all just fit. I realized the best place to test it would be in the current Bizar Engine, as I plan to do this in later games and wanted see how it effected the ease of movement and worked with the dynamic camera.

The results are amazing.

Here's before:

And here's after:

And it looks better in motion. Just wanted to share this, to show how much a difference lighting can make. I also have most of the different aspects of doing this sort of intence lighting in DBC 1.2 worked out to the full (including going in and out of shadow), but this part is the easiest and more important.

Edit: also, this is just a test. To improove, I need to adjust the diffuse for different materials, as the water should be reflecting a bit more blue, and such.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 03:23
It made the engine look ten times better in my opinion, and even more so when you get the kinks fixed.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 21:00 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 21:01
I dunno. First one looks retro and fitting, the second one looks pseudo-modern and cheap. Also a bit too dark in places.

Of course, early days, static shot, so can't say for sure.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:25:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:25:22