Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bizar Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 02:23 Edited at: 28th Feb 2008 04:05
Quote: "I dunno. First one looks retro and fitting, the second one looks pseudo-modern and cheap. Also a bit too dark in places. "

Please read the top of the post first. I pointed out why the lighting was so extreme to begin with.
...And none of this is retro... How could retro possibly be fitting to a completely non traditional engine?? I did absolutely nothing but put colored boxes in with the default lighting the first time around. Please explain this, as I'd love to know what gave that impression.
And as I said, the lighting was made extreme just now, and will mimic a graphic novel style when it's done. It's Supposed to be too dark in places. The dark sides of objects are nearly black. And how is it cheap? What I've done is alter the lighting to make it have extreme brights and darks, with the bights being warm and the darks being cool. Most games don't take into account warm and dark colors. When they do, you can really tell.

I don't get why people think the games made in the Bizar Engine are going to look like colored boxes with Kel running around them. In fact, next thing I'll do is replace him with the darn stickman bone model to make that perfectly clear. I'm not pointing to you specificaly, I pointing at every single person whos seen the engine. The people on my floor thought I was making a sequle to Dream.

I can't even begin to imagine why having overdone lighting would be cheap. Doesn't that make it harder, because you have to still make everything clearly visible and definable??

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
Corey
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh my... a sensitive artist

I was gonna say good job and stuff and compliment your cartoony style but now I'm afraid haha. To be perfectly honest, is monocoder not allowed to post an opinion? I have a feeling you took it more combatively than it was supposed to be.

I'll go out on a limb however and say good job. The new lighting kind of reminds me of runescape Have a beer
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 03:19 Edited at: 28th Feb 2008 04:21
Edit2: If you don't want to read this post, don't. It's all about how I get mad that the worst game makers get all the best criticism

It's sad though 'cause it's true. PLEASE no one ever think that you aren't qualified to criticize something. Just be clear about it and make sure you've got the right information about what you're criticising; it might already be addressed or might be intentional, in which case, you should criticize it as though it were addressed or intentional.

If you read that paragraph, you know what this post is about.

But anyways...
I've edited my post to better get at what I was thinking. I know how it sounds, and I know most people just wont get that I'm not mad about being criticized, I'm mad about how I'm being criticised for what. And as for opinion's I'm as entitled as anyone to be mad at someones opinion as they are to be mad at mine and my outbursts. I do try to make it clear that it's my fault usually though.

Here's my problem, compliments are a dime a dozen, but really get people motivated. Most people get criticisms that don't help them and just ignore it. Often though, when given a really well thought out criticism, they actually listen to it. I really appreciate that monocoder is giving me some sort of criticism, and I was really happy when he posted skepticism about the stamina system. It was a good possible scenario, that gave me a chance to even better describe the system. If there was a complaint about something I described, then I could see if it was an issue and re-evaluate. I'm really annoyed though when a criticism that is vague enough that nothing can be learned from it. This is where more detailed criticisms are needed. Even if the poster thinks it obvious, I want an actual description of what they think I should do differently, otherwise I'm bound to get the wrong impression, and even if I know I got the wrong impression, I'm still mad that less care was put into it.

Edit: and to the argument I'm asking to much time be put into the posters here, if you have a criticism, it means you want to help. I love help. But help that doesn't help isn't helpful, if you get what I mean.
Because I'm one of the best artist in my class (sorry for not being modest), I get the most criticism, because people have the highest expectations of me. That's what I love, and I listen to it. That's not how it used to be. I used to just get "wow" and "dude, I could never do that". And it was boring and useless.

Take that to here, and you can realize that a positive post means to the game maker that they did something right, and a negative means they need to do better. So, when told that when I was doing less I was better (and that's it), I get mad. I CAN'T fix that, I can't do anything with it but guess that I'm being told my contrast it too high. And the thing is, it's supposed to be too high. Next examine the major words in the criticism "Retro" and "fitting". That's opinion, which is fine. It baffles me that this engine would be considered retro in any way, and worries me. But that's no big deal. In fact, It's good that I know that impression was being given. I could inquire into that and expand the idea. I'd really like to know why retro would be fitting, so I can address the issue, or work it into the design.

But being told what I've done is worse than nothing hurts. I took it that way because the shading was called cheap. I'm not sure what I could compare it with, but to any artist of any medium out there, you know that one of the last things you want to hear when you're really set on something artistically is that it's cheap.

Of course I shouldn't get so mad at that kind of post. But now you know why, to as close as I can get it with the given time. Hopefully someone of the perhaps six people who read this post will remember it and realize what ticks me off and understand why I seem to randomly burst out at not-so-offencive seeming posts, in my threads and others. Because you see, it seems to baffle people every time, and I just wish we all had goggle so we could see though each others eyes. There'd be so much less misunderstandings.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:44
I don't want goggles to be like you. I'd suddenly be creative and good at creating games.

In any case, I'd like to see a screenie with the fixed diffuse and stuff. Its evolving pretty nicely. Maybe put in a cube instead of Kel?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
when is estimated release for Dream?

Is the Apple Mac(intosh) waterproof? (Mac users test. Go on, I dare you
Do fishes get thirsty?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 15:14 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2008 15:18
PLEASE IGNORE THOSE LAST TWO POSTS I MADE.
I just plain regret them now.

Quote: "In any case, I'd like to see a screenie with the fixed diffuse and stuff. Its evolving pretty nicely. Maybe put in a cube instead of Kel?"

nah, a box is annoying because you can't tell which way is forwards. I have to set up the animation system eventually, so it couldn't hurt to put in the first step now. And as for fixing the diffuse, It doesn't make much of a difference yet. I don't think the lighting will really make sense until I have a real test environment designed, which will happen a bit after I add sparkys. At that point I'll rebuild all the cameras to the new level, using the camera sets I've added, and see how fast it is. I'll also make them activate with collision boxes instead of positioning, for code speed. And that way I can edit camera detections in an editor.

Quote: "when is estimated release for Dream?"

the completion date is estimated the 19th of this month, release is estimated in late April. These are estimations though.

And on that note, expect no more work on Bizar Engine until Dream is done, as I've got to go into hardcore mode now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:29:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:29:21