Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Requesting some advice.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello DarkGDK community,

I'm looking for some help and advice, I hope you can assist me.

I'm working on this project that allows a user to 'walk' through a building. I already made this model in 3D Studio Max, but I'm having some problems with it. I have decided to use the Game Level project, that ships with the DarkDGK, as my application that will load the model.

Each time I load my model.x file into the application, my model get rotated by 90 degrees, I am not sure it this is related to the .X exporter (Pandasoft's X Exporter) that I use with 3D Studio Max. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Secondly, I've just had a look at the project called 'World', which also ships with the DarkGDK. I noticed that it uses a .BSP file to load. Is there a way I can create a .BSP file, without re-creating my model and which program would you recommend me to use?

Thanks,
-Arch
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2008 11:46 Edited at: 7th Feb 2008 11:47
I would imagine that it is a problem with the exporter, or maybe a convert angles box has not been ticked (I've never used pandasoft exporter so I'm just guessing). But, to remedy this you could just use dbRotateObject( ObjectNum, 0.0f, 90.0f, 0.0); or dbRotateObject( ObjectNum, 0.0f, -90.0f, 0.0); depending on which way around you need to rotate (right or left). There is also a function which will lock this rotation dbFixObjectPivot( ObjectNum );, which will make your model behave as though it's new angle is the default orientation.

As for the BSP, stay clear! The only advantage of using BSP is the fact that it has collisions and portal occlusion built-in so to speak, but it is an old format and implementing portal occlusion yourself is not that difficult. Just stick with the DirectX format(.X), and use a physics or raycasting system to perform collision detection.

Projects Started: 20
Projects Completed: 0
xArchx
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your reply, that's just the thing I needed

-Arch

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 13:29:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 13:29:18