Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / .X Exporter issue. (With 3D Studio Max 7)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again DarkGDK community,

It seems I'm having trouble with the Pandasoft .X exporter for 3D Studio Max 7. I have also used 3D Studio Max 8 with the kW X-port plugin, which failed as well. I was hoping maybe someone here could help me overcome this obstacle.

Each time I export my model with the materials, my model fails to load in the directX viewer and if I use the application 'Game Level' that comes with DarkGDK, i get the same effect.

-I'll try to explain my issue as detailed as I can .
For the ones that did not read my previous post, I'm supposed to create a building, a part of the second floor to be precise. And I'm supposed to use the DarkGDK to create an application that will allow a user to 'walk' through the building's second floor.

At first I the second floor. Then, in every time a different file, I made the chairs, desks, LCD-screens and such. I also assigned materials/textures to them, in those separate files. I then merges all of these files into the second_floor.max file, cloned some of these merged objects (Desks, etc..) a couple of times. After placing them in the exact location I clicked on the second floor itself and attached all the merged objects to it. It them showed me a pop-up window. This is the option I selected.

After that I exported the model, to a .X file using the Pandasoft .X exporter for 3D Studio Max 7.. Only to find out my model failed to load. It works fine when I export without any materials.. So the problem lies with 3D Studio Max and the materials..

Thanks,
-Arch
MrSnowman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 06:59
All my models exported in Max 8 using panda work great in Dark GDK.

1. make sure you're using these export settings:
http://www.fpscreator.com/characterstudio.html

2. Make sure all the texture files in the .max are in the same directory as the model (so it's easy for the model to find them.)

3. How did you attach the objects together? In my experience, using the default options in editable poly and attaching many objects (using many different materials) works just fine. Editable mesh, however, always messes things up.

4. Many inexperienced - semi-inexperienced modelers create models which can be full of weird crap (many errors in the geometry- errors being: Double faces, overlapping edges, that kind of thing). To fix this (if it is indeed the case), throw the stl check modifier on the model and check for all errors. Post again saying how many errors you have in what and I'll decide if that's the problem. This might be the most probable reason to your dilemma.

5. Check how big it is relative to how it's used in Dark GDK. Try scaling the object bigger and see if it doesn't cause errors anymore! Then, try scaling the object smaller if it's unmeasurable big.

Good luck!
xArchx
Years of Service
User Offline
MrSnowman,

First of, thanks for helping me.

I tried everything you suggested, without success. As to #3 I used editable poly and attached my objects.

As to #4.. Wow.. 6009799 errors? Is there any way you can help me fix these errors? It seems like most of them come from the separate models ..

-Arch
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 12:10
How do you afford such high dollar software?

I wish I could afford it, and I work a job that pays good.

pirate?? it??
xArchx
Years of Service
User Offline
It's software that my school provided.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 18:26
Have you tried just exporting one of the objects on its own?
It sounds like you're trying something that is very data heavy and pandax can't cope or perhaps you are "referencing" the files? Maybe panda x doesn't read them? (Not used it for a long time.)

Perservere! All game art pipelines are fraught with problems until you learn how to avoid them! Start small and increase the complexity of the scene until you come across a problem.

Check out The Grand Machines! & Black Mesa: Source <- vote @ www.moddb.com
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 20:06
Im using Panda X for 3dsmax 9 and have had no issues exporting textures, animations, objects etc.

and before you ask, David W:... No. I just make lots of money coding professionally.

[href]mod2software[/href]
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 22:12
@cattleRustler must be nice. But I still have a point and U can't deny this.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 23:46
I didnt deny it. I know what you mean.
but back on topic

[href]mod2software[/href]
MrSnowman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 02:46
xArchx,

That is a massive amount of errors. What is the total polycount for this model? And it is important to specify the cause of each number of errors.

BTW: If your high school competes in the First Autodesk Robotics competition (http://firstbase.autodesk.com/), you can get 3ds max for free (payment included in the robotics signup).
xArchx
Years of Service
User Offline
MrSnowman,

It seems I have been able to fix the problem.
I redid most of my models and made sure that I addressed all of the errors that the STL-check showed me.
I've also stopped attaching my separate models to the Second floor..

Now I can successfully export my X file and import it into the application.

-Arch

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 13:33:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 13:33:27