Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is there a CD version of DBP? What extras does it have?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 17:53
I notice that the online store (http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/) has two options on the "Purchase" menu: "DarkBasic Professional" and "DarkBasic Professional On-Line".

Clicking on both takes me to the same thing, though: a buy-to-download copy of DBP.

Which leaves me four questions (I number them because I know that otherwise people will only answer a random one of them

1) Is there a CD version?

2) If there isn't a CD version, why the two links?

3) If there is, is there a list of exactly what extras it has, over the downloadable version? No point paying extra for a thousand raygun, spaceship and alien resources if I'm making a fantasy game.

4) And where can I buy it?

Yet another game programmer
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 18:25
1) There was, I don't know if there still is

2) It may be historic, or it may be that when you buy the CD version, you get to download too.

3) It has a handful of models and a manual. The manual is now outdated due to the many updates, the models are probably not suitable for a specific project, just for playing.

4) This site if it's stil available!

I think you should mail support for definitive answers
Dewi Morgan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 01:31
Ah soddit - can't find the Cd version anywhere, can't be bothered to wait for an email reply. Getting the downloadable version.

Yet another game programmer
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 04:28 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 04:30
i bought cd version a couple years ago. came with dark matter 1, and 2 games Starwraith, Riftspace. no manual have seen places selling (cd version) still. discussions about it on geek forum here.

on amazon.com = "by Enteractive". i believe i've seen mention of them as "authorized" resellers. shows "IN STOCK". neither description nor box shows mention of Dark Matter, Starwraith, Riftspace.

on amazon.co.uk = "by Fasttrak". DOES mention inclusion of Dark Matter 1 and the 2 games Starwraith, Riftspace (also shows on Box art), but shows "NOT IN STOCK".

dark matter is a decent collection. at the least, models, etc, are good for playtesting/experimenting. unless you build a game around them (which some do), you won't use them tho. for the $15 extra, it's up to you if it's worth it (it is to me, plus i like keeping hard versions/cd's of software incase i need to reinstall, etc). the games, well, you might like them but not my cup o tea.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 08:06
Mine came with Riftspace, Starwraith and DarkMatter 1. I also got the manual.

The only thing I use is DBP though.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 14:47
Basically, instead of a 10 MB or 100 MB install or whatever the sizes are, the only install size is 400 MB. It comes with lots of models, sounds and textures that you'll probably never use.

You activate from the CD using the start menu shortcut instead of whatever the process is for the downloadable version. And certainly mine was version 5.8 or something like that when 6.2 was already available for download, and had been for some time.

I think the huge benefit of it is the activation, I've had to re-activate several times. I don't know the process for activating the downloadable version, but I presume it's not as easy as activating from disc... That said, with version 6.6 it keeps telling me to upgrade from a trial version...
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 16:16 Edited at: 10th Feb 2008 16:17
Quoted form the Game Creators web site and reinforcing what you have already been told.
Quote: "
There are two versions of DarkBASIC Professional On-line. One is 11 MB and the other is 90 MB in size. When you order you will be given download links to BOTH versions - it is up to you to decide which one you prefer. So if you currently use a modem at home then you can start with the 11MB one, but should you upgrade to broadband then you can login to your account at any time and download the 90MB version too. There are no restrictions on this.

What doesn't the On-line version contain?

Mostly media. All of the help files are intact, but in the 11MB version especially most of the showcase examples have been removed to save space in the archive. This means when you view a help page and click "Load showcase example" most of the time you will not have that example to view. The 90MB version includes a lot more of these example files, but still not the full amount included with the boxed CD version. "

I did not find anywhere where the online version was included with the CD purchase, like other software does, but it may still be possible.

[Edit] forgot the link to the online page
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_online

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:28:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:28:25