Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Just starting out

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've known about Dark Basic for a couple years now but have never messed around with it as I didn't know anything in regards to programming. Lately I've been taking some classes in Visual Basic and I aspire to one day make games professionally (granted I will get into other languages, VB is my first). I've started looking back into Dark Basic but I am just wondering about one thing. I know there are different packages available to purchase that will give you different resources (3D modeling, etc. etc.) but I am just wondering if the initial Dark Basic Classic software has everything with it you need to make games. I mainly want to make 2D platform games and before I drop the money to buy DB Classic, I just need someone to clear that up for me. Thank you.
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 20:28
There are 2 Versions of dark basic DBP Dark basic pro and DBC dark basic classical just to clear that up anyways both versions of dark basic can deal with 3d and 2d but if you mainly want 2d you would be best off with play basic and I don't really know much about play basic but maybe you should drop by the 2d chat board and ask about that.

Windows Is better than everything
Dingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I'll drop by there to see if PlayBasic would be recommended over it. I'm downloading the trial version of DBC right now so I may just stick with that as long as it does include all the tools I need to make a game without having to download the expansions and add-ons.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 21:00
Well, DBP (DarkBasic Professional) also features a lot more than DBC (DarkBasic Classic). In both commands as performance.
This is also due to DBC using a lower version of DirectX while DBP is following the DirectX 9.x series. (Not DirectX 10)

As Ed222 said, DBP and DBC are best used for 3D games, and there might be better alternatives for plain 2D games.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 05:37
i seem to have no trouble at all making 2d games in darkbasic pro. i think i would go ahead and get dbpro so you can go into 3d games or 2d games. just my opinion.

thanks, pirate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:32:51