Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 20:02 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 21:40
@whisper: ah...
@Satchmo: If you were playing parallel games (ie. two players at the same time, but still only playing seperate games as opposed to versus), Player 2 can lose, but they'll just start over while you carry on.
If you want to actually play against them, follow that map in my top post to the screen with the large buttons that say "Parallel" and "Sync", and choose sync.

Thanks for the feedback; more very much welcome!

edit: strewth, this topic has been set alight!

Give me an ounce of Puyo, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination.
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 17:54 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2008 18:09

Alternate Download

The Alpha at MegaUpload

Now, since we're either not really liking Speedyshare, or we're not able to get on to Speedyshare, I've taken the liberty of uploading a second copy to MegaUpload. And damn, do I feel dirty. I'm not sure if it's the copious amounts of garish flash BS or the so-called "MegaFlirt" being advertised on the download page.

I'd recommend sticking with Speedyshare if it works for you. And like I've said, I'd upload it direct to the forum if it'd let me. If anyone else wants to download the zip, then try uploading it for me, that'd be grand. If you still can't reach it and for some reason desperately want it, email me, let me know who you are, and I'll send you the zip personally.

I'll try making better arrangements for next release.

---
Now, regarding the game. I've been quite well-informed by a friend that the menus, for all their simple brash boldness, are difficult to interpret. I directed him to the manual; he told me nobody wants to read the manual. Fair game then. Although it was already on my to-do list, it's now of utmost importance to get a little text into the images for direction. So, expect that a release or two from now, depending how it goes.

If you want to just jump in and trial the game- skipping the options- just press the green buttons on the menus. The large one will send you onto a single player exercise game.

Enjoy...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 14:39
The big green button? The one that says "Play now"?

Lovely! Utterly addicting and destroyer of all social life. I's love it!

Dum-die-dum-die-dum Inspector Gadget...

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 02:08 Edited at: 29th Mar 2008 02:09
Ta.

Redoing all the menus; gasp and such. Starting with the set players menu, I'll be doing something like one or two each release. Here's a little anim of the current menu, a quick mockup, and a vectored mockup with the new art. Beneath it, the current menu with some of the new images ready to begin work. Beside that, the new crosses in the create game menu, shown here for no real reason.

The new set of menus will generally be smarter looking, and be animated during the course of the menu instead of just sitting there. They should, above all, be much easier to understand while still staying relatively simple.

this post has ended.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 15:46 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 15:54
S'update.

Alpha 2 Video 1

Been working on stuff. Only one menu's been changed, and at that I've paused for thoughts as it's bloating things up fast. So in the meantime, I've taken the liberty of working on aspects of the game. Namely, the HUD. Plus other bits. Here's a list of stuff I've done since last.

New player setup menu.
Game speed now changeable.
New score counter.
New chain score counter.
New next-pair display.
New games won counter.
New puyo chained counter.
New level counter.
New level-up mechanism.
New in-development speed-up mechanism.
Anti-clockwise rotation now possible.
Updated puyo graphics.
Improved, less slippery control.
Player 2 grid no longer off-centre.
Partially tweaked animation speeds (refugee falling, etc).

That's it so far. Stuff yet to do for Alpha 2:

Finished player setup menu; by what means I know not yet.
Finished speed-up mechanism.
Level-up sound.
Combo sound in 2P versus.
Finished controls.
Hitting top of column allowing a moment to move off it.
Simple pause menu.

And much more in the future. Alpha 3, or Beta 1 - I'm making it up as I go - will see the introduction of scenario mode.

Until next time...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 17:38
Well, now, that looks like a lot of fun. I love the different field sizes and settings (the time where you had to connect - I think it was - 5 Puyo's). Seems like this game will end up looking very complete and professional .

Jeez, did I just waste 9:47 minutes of my life looking at falling, colored, circular faces that disappear when linked up?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 23:32 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 23:49
Another Update.

Alpha 3 Video 1

More-or-less done speed up mechanism (read: I changed next to nought).
Level-up sound in.
More polished controls.
Leeway time when landing.
Simple pause system (syncs in 2P matches).
Opponent's avatar animation system thingy. It works too.

Don't check this out.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 01:33
WOW. That is really starting to look very, very clean and polished!

And, sorry, I checked it out. Dirty reverse psychology exploiter.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 13:57 Edited at: 16th Apr 2008 14:30
(takes a bow)

I'm back, whoring out my fecking menus again! But lo, they are but completely different.

Alpha 3 Video 2

Long row of buttons demonstrate new toggle groups system, replacing the manual brute-force approach from before. They run through special conditions (taking tips from diggsey's event tutoring of times past) when toggling: here, they are togglable only on the right of the screen, with their index in the series less than nine.

Also, all media assets are no longer loaded en massé on startup, but are divided into shared and menu-specific media. So you know.

So, same menu "engine", new menus. Easier to make and use, swifter, simpler, text integrated, and all-round damn nice. Better; all that green empty space is holding place while nifty art awaits. I predict good times are in the pipeline.

In other news, thread interest reaches all-time low. Remedy plz.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 23:51
I liked the old style better, or rather, the previous style. Seemed to fit the mood much better. But that's just me.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 16:03
If you round off the grey parts and make them all funny and stuff, it'll work out I think.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 02:16
While the old style looked vaguely appealing, it was still fairly poor, and was planned to be a placeholder for new art or layouts when such an opportunity arrived. More to the point, feedback from a couple of people on the practicality of the menus was also poor. The style was supposed to be simple and straightforward, but it proved to be confusing.

In addition to this, making the menus was incredibly awkward. Some degree of animation was to be part of each menu, but since this is all hard-coded, it quickly bloated into a grave mess with just one menu.

So, as a result I deleted all the menu actions code and started anew, and took the opportunity to improve the system itself in the process. Now I'm churning out a menu or two a day, everything's a lot easier, and I don't regret giving up the old stylistic elements at all.

Like I said above, the art is still early. The panes in the menu have been rounded off at the corners and given a darker ending (adjusted a few times due to obscene implications ), and most buttons will get images in them.

I've now nearly finished 6 out of 9 freeplay menus. There's also a new type of refugee, and plans forming for more thanks to some ideas from a friend who has also provided me with my first scenario character.

New menu vid, maybe tomorrow. Fair evening to all.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 03:34
In that case, forget what I said. You made the right choice. Also, don't give up on this project if you feel like people have lost interest. I'm still very much interested in this game, not to mention how strong and flowing your coding is.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 01:08 Edited at: 20th Apr 2008 01:08
Ta. While progress might slump over the exam period, this project's not stopping any time soon.

Okay, churning another out:

Alpha 3 Video 3

Pretty much finished freeplay menus, layout and functionality wise. Changes later will include updated art, unlockables appropriately locked, and some polish here and there.

Minor To-Do's:

Header text in the left of every pane.
Red "Puyo Disabled" sign shrunk and moved to corner.
"Refugee Disabled" signs.
Disabling Refugee strength settings when not adjusting Strong Refugee.
Tab-like region around Puyo/Refugees to better see the one selected.
Change error message format to a header and description beneath.
All file (save/load) related menus and functions.
Background colour different for title and main menu, with fade transition (cover-up for short pause when loading menu).

And Scenario, Exercise, Options, Quickplay, etc. But one thing at a time.

...!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 02:44
Good, good. Progressing ever so steadily .

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:03
Fla-bump.

Project not dead and all, but the month-long gap has seen very little happen. Main cause of this delay has been my pondering upon the implementation of the new refugees mentioned a few posts up, and more recently, some actual attempts at coding them in. Only today has some good progress been made. It's nothing spectacular by any means, but yeah. Video to follow down the line, but only when I'm happy with the way they work.

and stuff.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2008 00:43
And now a miserable abortion of a video. I'll actually watch it before uploading it next time.

Alpha 4 Video 1

Skip to 5:40 for a quick summation of the current build.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2008 06:04
Whoa. That was... annoying. The 5:40+ part looked good, though, so for now, I'll forgive you.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 13:15
I love the style.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 00:04
Update

All refugees are now implemented and functioning. In the interest of generating interest, the last refugee shall remain secret. My next port of call will be tweaking speed changes between levels, and making levels selectable during setup.

Following that, I will begin working on Scenario Mode.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 02:02
Oh dear

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2008 02:18
Forgive me, it's late, but if we could keep posts at least halfway critical and of reasonable length...

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 23:29 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 18:20
The Miser's Back

Yo ho, computer's been out for a few weeks. Updates: Nothing has changed since before.

I'm presently drawing up Scenario Mode. I have arbitrarily set the number of stages at 18. If you want you, your character, anything to proclaim battle of the wit with the player in Scenario Mode, do tell. All I'd need is an image and a summation of their intended style of play, gimmick, etc. to start. Credit bestowed only upon you.

I could probably come up with about 8-10 stages worth of decent characters in time, so any contribution is a good one.

Edit: 16 Characters named, 16 drawn, 16 finished designs, 0 scanned and coloured. I'm leaning towards some kind of simple cel shading. I'm also having two simple storylines. One is more-or-less done.

Request: Hai mods, could you rename this thread "Puyo". The current title's long and irritating, but I've yet to call it anything other than Puyo. Puyo Plus? Puyo Peril? I think not.
Edit: Power-thanks to IanM.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:37:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:37:15