Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to compile??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there everyone. i'm new to dbpro and i found this code that is said in the gamecreators website but can't seem to compile it. can someone compile this for me and tell me why i can't compile this??

here's the code:

tnx in advance and kindly email me the output of the file thnx..
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 14:48
Why? Just because you have the code, doesn't mean you can run it - there's tons of media generated and required for an FPSC game to even start, let alone run.

Grifter
Years of Service
User Offline
i really don't know it is said to generate the code for your fpsc game . and i have the fps creator installed and i want to try to modify it using dbpro. pls. help me out. tnx.
Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
DbPro is just like any other advanced applications system. You have to learn how to crawl with it before you can run the four minute mile. As IanM said you have to know how to include and use all the extra material that is included in the process of coding a game but that doesn't actually exist inside the body of the code itself.

It's like you telephoning a friend. Just because you are then having a conversation with your friend, doesn't mean that this friend is actually in the room with you. It's the same with loading code that someone else has written. Even if they have included the media extras that go with that code this does not mean that YOU don't have to download it separately and place it inside the same directory as the code that you are using.

You would probably be better off starting with some of the excellent tutorials for DBPro and gradually working your way up the knowledge base.

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 20:10
@Grifter,
If you have FPSC and DBPro and the correct plug-ins, then you'll be able to compile the code just fine. I suspect that you don't have the plug-ins and that is why it won't compile.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 21:29
Quote: "If you have FPSC and DBPro and the correct plug-ins"

Just to expand on what Ian said:

DBPro is flexible in that you can write your own 'modules' (called plug-ins) and 'bolt' them on - making them available to your own programs.

Although you may have the source code (and possibly any required media), you won't have all the required modules to compile it.

When you think about it, it would be silly of TGC to release them as people would be able to produce FPSC for free or sell modified versions and they wouldn't be able to sell it.

The purpose of releasing the source was for educational purposes only - not as compilable source.

TDK_Man

Grifter
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the replies guys.. well taken. I suppose i really have to go through it after all. I'm just excited to see what the game would look like if it were edited in dbpro that's why i was so eager to post the codes here. thanks again..
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 06:48
Quote: "The purpose of releasing the source was for educational purposes only - not as compilable source."

The source is compilable, i've done it. The pugins needed come with one of the dbpro upgrades, I think it was 6.2. Its not the source code for the editor it just the source for the FPSC-Game.exe that runs the scripts outputed by the editor, you still must own FPSC for it to be of any use, thats why they can still sell it.

If it was illegal to be stupid we'd run out of room.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:21:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:21:53