Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Explosions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I need a way to make explosions in 3d such as blowing up a 3d ship. I thought about using particles but I must be doing something wrong because all I can get is the particles to grow I tried to make them expand out. But They really dont seem to do that.
any ideas are apriciated.

Also if any one knows how I can blowup a modle with out having to create an animation that would be very helpfull I have made my ships for my game but breaking up the model and fragmenting it is some thing that could be very helpfull to be able to do in code.

Thanks,
Terry
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 14:40
Your goal is honorable - but I'm not sure there is a decent algorythm out there as yet to dice up your model.

I have read many posts .. for example using Dark Physics and building tree's in "chunks" so they can "come apart" later when hit or something....

I think you will need to make diced up versions of your model yourself.

also I think trying to get code to do it for you would not be good in game - and if you can do it - I'd personally make a "utility" program to load the model - dice it into pieces, and save the pieces for loading and using in game.

There are resons for this - and one of them is you don't want your final game loading/creating deleting objects to much cause there is a bug lurking that will bite you during gameplay. Better to hide/exclude then delete - and Vertex manipulation OFTEN means needing to create a mesh from a source object, delete the source object, create a new object from the modified mesh etc... this is not a good thing... nor is tons of creation and deleting of any sort in game.

Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Being far lazier than Jason I did make a couple of exploding objects using the cloth routines of Dark Physics I set the material properties to achieve a brittle characteristic. The objects were a pane of glass and a Chest. They were feasible due to the flat nature of the objects the chest consisted of 6 rectangles. This is not a very practicle approach for more complex shapes.

If the make object from cloth feature of DP gets fixed that may work for you.

All the best

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 19:25

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:39:36
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:39:36