Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK - Mixing with managed code (.NET)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 23:10
Hi There,

I would like to wrap the DarkGDK functions into a .NET dll using the .NET extensions for C++. My goal is to create an OO framework around GDK and expose it via .NET for my use. I have done work like this in the past so I'm hoping to do the same here. Right now I'm having a linker issue I was hoping someone could help me with. Here is the error:

2>core.lib(DBDLLCore.obj) : error LNK2005: _DllMain@12 already defined in MSVCRTD.lib(dllmain.obj)

Here is my simple object I created to test compilation:

I'm assuming DarkGDK defines an entry point somewhere that is conflicting with my DLLs entry point? I was hoping someone might have an idea about how to fix this.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 23:53
its already been done, its called DGDK.NET
re-releasing soon

[href]mod2software[/href]
jjg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 00:10
Yes, I'm aware of GDK.NET. However, I would like to resolve these linker errors so I can move forward with my project. I'm not writing a general purpose OO wrapper. This is unique to my project.

Do you have any suggestions about how to get around the linker errors?
jjg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 01:45
I fixed the compilation issue but now there are other issues.

Is it even possible to call DarkGDK from a win32 dll? Forget .NET for now, I just want to seperate my client code from my engine code. For example, i would like the engine code in a dll (.NET or Win32) and my client code in a Win32 application. However, it looks like the LoopGDK requires a WinMain method, which kills using a dll. Is there a way around this? Does anyone have any suggestions on makeing calls to the engine from a dll rather than using main from a console app?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 14:32
I think you will have issues here because 1: DarkGDK is deigned to not allow you to turn the lib into a DLL - it needs the DarkGDK main integrated or no go.

.Net has a different "deploy-no-hack" paradigm... so - back to Cattle Rustler's comment - he's dead on due to reasons like this.

Now Calling .Net code from with DarkGDK - that's another story. Personally - I try to keep my technology thunking to a minimum - KISS principle - if I'm writing DarkGDK stuff - I use C++ only. If I was to use DarkGDK.net - then I'd be in C# heaven 100% - THUNKING usually means loss of efficiency and speed bro.

Look up Thunking DLL via Google to see why I use this word - it has many meanings but in short - means to FORCE 2 incompatible systems to work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:32:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:32:32