Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Running on other computers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to run the compiled exe on another computer. I got amessage saying d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Is it possible to run games created on other computers and if so how?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 03:23
Yes, get them to download the latest version of DirectX 9.0c.

kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you sure? That's great if it is! Has anyone else tried to run the exe on computers without the dark gdk, or any components of it, at all?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 13:58
You Could take the redist files that (should) come with the sdk - and make as part of your install script.

Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
The Redist are an option choice upon install of the SDK, Unles they selected that option via the installer for the SDK they wont have them, This is the case with version i downloaded anyway i had to manually select to install them, its the only option not done as default.

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, jason p sage
how exactly would you make the redist files part of the install script?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 22:17
First - I've had bad luck with the "Visual Studio" deployment Wizard - Project thingy. (Boy - Visual Basic - Pre .net had the BEST installer creation Wizard EVER!)

Any ways - I would take a open source installer like the one I attached - that's free - and doesn't require you to do any unwanted banners or anything - yeah its a pain to learn - but the one I'm giving you - like MANY others - allow you to ask a user if they wish to install various components... via a script command or two.

In this case - if they choose to install the Redist - you literally just copy the file to the destination dir - or some sub dir of it - then at install completetion - if the file exists - or you have a flag to test to check "Yeah - we just installed it" - I'd simply launch the Redist setup.exe or whatever.. and upon its completetion (required reboot would dampen my spirits here a little) delete the redist installer after its run.

You asked how I would do it - there it is.

This open source installer + script + creation toolkit - I got from sourceforge - but then it wasn't available at a later date - so I don't know the status of the project - but its a decent FREE installer creation package.

See Attached! Good Luck

(I know it's an EXE but its good and safe)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
wait, it just has to be in the directory?

can't the .dll be included in the .exe?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 06:12
I'm not an expert here - but I thought directX makes some registry entries - (registers the dll's). The redist I THOUGHT was a install of its own. Has been in the past - It's impossible to keep up with everything - um - yeah - install the thing would be my method - but hey - if you can get things going with only a few copied DLL's that's great. But I the registry stuff was important so that when an app looks for the DirectX lib - the correct one gets loaded - avoiding multiple copies of the same stuff ont he end user's machne - meaning they install the DirectX versions they need/use - and the games just pretty much seek out the version they are linked against or fail to run. Dunno.

kevinsbro
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh by the way, were do I find that dll file?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 22:29
Come on Kev - its in START->Search

Google the DirectX stuff on MSDN - all the info for DLL file names and stuff is there too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:40:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:40:16