Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Play Mapper Mini (cont)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 14:29 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:15
Play Mapper Mini (cont) (PlayBASIC Mapping Tool)

Many, many moons ago we decided to replace the original Play Mapper tool. So after suffering through a few failed 3rd party attempts, we decided to throw a tool together ourselves. So of course this falls into my hands. Which is ok, but it's not like have loads of free time to be producing 'free' add on tools.

Having written a few editors in my time, my objective in creating this one, was to keep it simple as possible and try and give the user some subtle flexibilities when mapping.

If you've ever mapped out levels before, you'll be familiar with just how tedious a lot of these tools can be. By that i mean, we load in our block image and then are then forced to manually move the tiles from the block palette individually. To make this worse, often the block palette doesn't retain it's original shape. Which is a form of water torture i'm sure.

So to counter this I wanted the user to be able select individual blocks or rects of blocks directly from the block palette. For example, if the artist draws a tree that used say a 6*4 block area, then we should be able to grab this region directly and plonk it directly upon the level as the current tile brush. Rather than having to grab each fragment of the tree shape individually.

Moreover, for more complex shapes you can grab regions from the level as brushes. You've and unlimited supply of these can cycle through them at will while editing. What this means is that you can make sets of prefabs basically, then run though and and paste these brushes through out the level. Brushes are saved with the map project, so you can come back to it later.

Anyway, that's about it for the moment. Will post a few ALPHA's later. Really need some Artistic or design people to make a few maps.

Download

PlayMapper & other free tools

Related Source Code Examples
Loading Exported Play Mapper Mini Levels

Old Work In Progress Thread
PlayMapper Mini

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2008 06:32 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:16
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 18:30 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:17
Play Mapper V0.29 (Alpha)

Here's the current warts 'n' all public alpha of Play Mapper Mini. This version is a little cleaner than the previous alpha and has the project load/saving fleshed out some more and a new block properties dialog, This dialog lets you change the block width / block height and block maskcolour (which it can also guess for you) outside of the 'new project' dialog.

The next dialog addition will allow the user to edit project info in a re-loaded project. Currently once you set that stuff, there's no way to change it. That will give the tool a functional base. Far from perfect, but functional.

Control wise the editor functions completely from the mouse. Left button select, right button de-select/abort

Included Stuff
* Basic tools (Tile,Line,Box,Circle,Brush)
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Context driven pop up menus (right click)
* Load/Save Format (hunk based.)
* Undo support (100 or so levels)

To Do List (only if there's demand)

* Map Preview / Overview
* Animation Support
* Shift/optimize layers
* Import Layer/brush
* Export Blocks/layers
etc etc

Download

Play Mapper

Note

Maps saved in this version should be ok to import into future editions. So feel free to have go at laying out some test maps. You never know when this will be updated again.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 05:38 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:18
Play Mapper V0.31 (Alpha)

Here's the current warts 'n' all public alpha of Play Mapper Mini. This version includes some important bugs fixes as well as all the basic required dialogs. So project names etc can be changed after it's been saved.

PlayMapper keeps track of the creation date/last update date and revision number of the map for you. You can't change those, even though they appear as input boxes. PlayMapper will update revision stuff for you.

I've also added a layer shifting tool, so you can scroll the layers around and are working on implementing the Map overview/preview window. The preview window is currently threaded into the programs update. I'd done this to avoid the app stalling completely when building a preview (Since it's not quick). You can test the preview window by hitting the ENTER key. Be WARNED THOUGH, once you enable it, you can't disable it at the moment.

I'm still tinkering with it. What i'll probably do add and extra over window and use it for quick navigation as well around bigger maps. (If there's time)

Unfortunately this round of updates will have to conclude this Sunday, so whatever state it's in then will be it for the time being. What I'm hoping to get done is the overview window and some import/export stuff.

Control wise the editor functions completely from the mouse. Left button select, right button de-select/abort

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Layer Tools (Resize/Scrolling)
* Brushes

* Map Preview / Overview (TESTING IN THIS VERSION)

To Do List

* Mini Map Preview window
* Import Layer/brush
* Add some future proofing for PB1.7x map libraries

Future (only if there's demand)

* Animation Support
* optimize layers
* Block Export (combine, stream/optimize)

Download
Play Mapper

Note

Maps saved in this version should be ok to import into future editions. So feel free to have go at laying out some test maps. You never know when this will be updated again.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 20:20 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:18
Mini Map Example V0.32

Here's a bit of picture of the progress on mini map feature. The mini map is show through a flexi window, so you can re-size the view while it refreshes. The refresh is threaded, so it's not instant, but it's ok for what it is. Still got a few issues left to iron out, mostly with maps with more than one layer. Although I'm not too sure they're worth worrying about. Anyway, here's a piccy.

Attachments

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 21:37
It looks great Multiple layers shouldn't be that difficult. My map editor that I made has 3 layers and it only took me about an hour for each layer. The editor hasn't been released to the public yet, though.

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 03:47 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:19
yeah, It already supports multiple layers.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 07:30 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:19
Play Mapper V0.33 (Alpha)

Here's the current warts 'n' all public alpha of Play Mapper Mini. This version adds support for the MiniMap overview as well brush pack loading / saving.

Brush Packs are PlayMappers internal brush format and can be loaded from either a PlayMapper Bush pack file, or imported from other PlayMapper projects/maps.

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Mini Map Preview / Overview

To Do List

* Import Level as Layer/Brush

* Animation Support
* optimize layers

Download
Play Mapper

Note

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 05:27 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:20
Play Mapper V0.35 (Alpha)

Here's the current WIP alpha of Play Mapper Mini. This version corrects some bugs with the previous edition, and includes some importing features, auto backup (on save project), more dialogs (brush info/naming) and helper messages or the user. Making this version about 95% fully functional (Apart from from cosmetic/design things ). There are some black holes (missing features) but it's now is pretty useful state. I've only got one thing more to add which is the Level import to layer feature. Which will hopefully be added later on today. Then it's up to you guys to Beta test it.

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Import Level (packs) as Brushes

To Do List

* Import Level as Layer

* Animation Support
* optimize layers

Download
Play Mapper

Note

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 17:13 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:21
Play Mapper V0.37 (Alpha)

Here's the current WIP alpha of Play Mapper. This version corrects some bugs (delete layer + incorrect map sizes issues) from the previous edition, and includes the more importing features, such as Import Level As Layer. Which means V0.37 includes the core functionality I was aiming for in this update The main thing missing really is a good tweak of the cosmetics, .

Note: While functional, it hasn't really been tested in real world scenarios. So I'd expect some bugs (big & small) , but we won't know until you get road testing it ! - If you don't, we'll never know !

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Import Level (packs) as Layers

* Animation Support
* optimize layers

Download
Play Mapper

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 19:09 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:21
Play Mapper V0.38 (WIP)

So after a some 4 months break from the this project, I'm back tinkering away at it. My first priority is to add some animation support, since it's missing from the last alpha. Beyond that, I'm hoping to get some collision, entity and possibly paths support implemented if there's time. But we'll see.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 20:01 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:22
Play Mapper V0.38 (Animation WIP)

Animation is the first port of call. While adding it shouldn't be difficult, the worry at this point it's more about fleshing out the functionality to make it the end result easy on the user. Thus far, all I've got is a few new windows and bunch of drawings on paper. The current idea is to add a second tile palette for animations. You'll be able to select tiles from either. Given that tiles are individual, this means that multiple selection won't be viable from the animation palette. But there's nothing stopping you from dropping any combination you want onto the map, then grabbing it as brush.

The main drama is going to building the animations i think. So we'll need a special window to let the user manage each animations tile sequence, as well as speed and anim type. Given that the tile palette supports multiple tiles, then in theory the user could simply grab the selection area over the animation sequence (assuming the tiles are drawn in order ) then drop it on the Animation editing window. Making creating an animation almost a one click affair. Would still need some tools to manage insertion & deletion though.

Previously I mentioned adding entities support. What's that ? - An Entity is an object or character descriptor within the games world. So users will be able to define (hopefully) a list of entities, then place them through out each map. What this means is that you can initialize character starting positions at design time. This information will either be housed inside the map or externally. The map loading frame work will take care of loading it. All you need to do is run through the object list and initialize your game objects. Turning PlayMapper into a crude one stop game design tool.

Play Mapper

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 15:51
Hmm this looks awesome Reminds me of those FFVII 2.5d maps.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 22:46 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:24
Play Mapper V0.40 (Animation WIP)

Finally solved the mysterious animation resetting bug mentioned in the PB dev blog. Turned out to be the result of a lazy bit of cut and paste, as always - Bellow we see the editing window working. So now you and create an animation, add frames, insert and delete frames. As well as naming it, setting the animation mode and speed. All that remains is to tweak the Window Init and resize code. Which is the slowest thing about adding new controls. But ya get that...

To manage the frame list, you click on point you have to insert at, then hit insert <> or - to delete. The inserts the current tile section from the tile palette init the anim sequence. Ideally if the animations are set out upon the original block picture in a linear order. Then adding most animations will be a one click affair. The only time you'll have to manage the frames is of course if the frames are not drawn in sequence. Even so, it's only going to be a few clicks to set up an anim. It might not look it, but it's pretty painless.

Play Mapper

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 15:03 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:23
Play Mapper V0.43b (Alpha)

This version officially includes basic Animation Support. Not only can you build animations & render animated blocks from the Anim palette you can save/reload the maps files also. Meaning you can now actually test it.

Be forewarned however, this is an pretty early Alpha. There's bound to be bugs with the animation stuff. So take it easy initially, If you notice some sequence of events that's causes an error with Anims (or the program), then make sure you mention it bellow!

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Layer Tools (Resize / Scrolling)
* Brushes
* Animation Support

* optimize layers

Download
Download from UW.com forum

Play Mapper V0.44 (Map Conversion)

Map conversion is another one those little tidbits that's been on the to-do list for ages, but getting around to adding it is another thing. Anyway, it's here now. What this new feature does, is it lets you import a map created with the original PlayMapperClassic tool into it's replacement PlayMapper. So far it it seems to work ok, although it doesn't support importing animations (now that i think of it)..

Bellow you'll see the good old standard soccer field map that comes with PlayMapperClassic, imported and ready to rock in PM... Too easy.

See Screen Shot

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 02:20 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:25
Play Mapper V0.46 (Alpha)

This version corrects the layer properties problem when importing levels in previous. It also includes a very basic 'WIP' backdrop/game prop's window which is currently titled GameScene properties. It's only about %10 implemented, so it preview only.. (i.e. naff) But the rest is firing.

Be forewarned however, this is an pretty early Alpha. There's bound to be bugs with the animation stuff. So take it easy initially, If you notice some sequence of events thats causes an error with Anims, then make sure you mention it bellow!

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Animation Support
* Map Conversion

* optimize layers

Download

Play Mapper

Play Mapper Reload Library

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2008 05:44
HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!!! Your that guy that made that Pong Game aren't you!? (not the original obviously )My friend and I really messed around with that game. We made that glitch into... A strategy.

I urge you to watch the film "Who killed the electric car". Support electric cars! Did you know their used to be more electric cars then gassoline cars?
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2008 08:10 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:25
Quote: "
HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!!! Your that guy that made that Pong Game aren't you!? (not the original obviously )My friend and I really messed around with that game. We made that glitch into... A strategy.
"

Sorry, but I don't have clue what you're talking about!

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2008 04:38

This was on the internet. This isn't you?

I urge you to watch the film "Who killed the electric car". Support electric cars! Did you know their used to be more electric cars then gassoline cars?
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 04:03 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:26
Apparently, but you're talking about one tidbit I wrote some 6 years ago.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:29:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:29:40