Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / last collision / basic question from me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 21:15
hey all,

the root of my question has been created because of all these plugins im coming accross (namely sparkys plugin, newton wrapper.. ) to name but a few.

question: is darkbasicpro powerful enough to program a game, with decent collision detection, without the need of a plugin, - OR would it be hours and hours of work for not such a great result? (if so then i will use the plugins i suppose).

and a sub-part to this question would be:
question: darkbasicpro multiplayer functions, are these also best left to a plugin?

i'd be interested to see what different people say about the plugins, what experiences they have had with the native commands and so on, and of course what you personally recommend?

sorry for the long thread, but i need to understand the limits of the native commands. bearing in mind im not a c++ programmer or anything of that calibre.

-my experience so far (not to sound offensive again):
collision detection native to dbp is poor enless you spend a long time on it?

anyway cheers for reading,
Paul
Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 00:23

and does anyone have any idea why i cant get the camera to follow my object?
thanks
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 03:58
I am a fan I admit - but Sparky's is the one plug in that just needs to be in your tool box. It simply works faster than the native ones to start - plus has Ray Casting! Worth a day to learn - then its your best friend.

I personally never use STOCK "Do this for Me" Camera functions... I Personally do things like just move the camera to the player, set camera orientation to object, move came -10 (for example ...behind player) then pitch camera up 90, move came say 5, then point camera at player object...

And other frowned upon, yet easy to do, successful tricks to get the job done!

Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 09:31
Ok, but thats what i am trying to do with my camera in the above code? i thought just taking say 10 off the players current position in the loop would keep the cameras position always -10 off my player, this is not so..

ive looked in the codebase, but all the examples are using a very complex function (no good for a newbie) - i just want the camera to do what i tell it to, but alas inside the loop its not moving?

cheers
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 20:52 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 22:12
working to some degree now.
although now im having an odd issue.
code is here:

sorry still some un-needed code in there.
but problem is, camera follows object around the y axis, but if you keep "spinning" then the camera stays where it is for a moment (almost confused) and then latches back onto the y after a while..

[edit-] should i point out my object is quite big - i dont know if its normal as its a big object and the camera might be becoming lazy? //

thanks
Paul
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 22:24
Saw your message before posted where people could see it - SO - I Say to your issue this:

Camera Follow is great - sometimes I'm sure. There may be a bug in your code - or not.

I'd write My Own Camera Follow routine so I knew EXACTLY what was going on and that way I'm in control more. Keep At it.

Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 22:29
@ TDK -
if you change your camera code in your tutorial so as it uses keys:

then it has the same problem as my code, the cube will turn ok, the camera will follow for a while, but then all of a sudden the cube will just spin on the spot - nasty bug or poor code?

cheers
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 07:42
Not a bug - probably just a difference in the way that DBPro commands work maybe...

The following is the snippet from the tutorial adapted to use the keyboard instead of the mouse. (Speed adjusted for and tested OK in DBPro):

TDK_Man

Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 10:29
this must be an issue with the speed then - not a problem as before it was too fast but interesting effect it creates!
cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 10:26:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 10:26:54