Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 23:52 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 00:49
Im rather new to Dark Basic, most of programming experience has been in c++, and some c#. Currently learning assembly in school. My main goal is to put a stupid game idea a reality. This requires me on me learning how to make a fps. i got a lot of the 3d stuff figured out, playing around with the different commands. I figured for the most part,how to follow the contour of a randomly generated matrix "bumpy" ground/floor. I plan on making some really basic "prototype" of games. First probably being a walking gallery of pictures. like a museum just as a project.

My question. Is it worth the experience of trying to Code the 3d objects. Is it a learning experience i should do, Or should i spend that time to struggle with a 3d map making software. If you recommend software, please recommendations (free is nice) and possibly a link or book as a tutorial to help shave off a tad of the learning curve.

as i get more into it, i am sure it be useless to reinvent the wheel, so i was wondering what add ons if any i should eventually get/learn for darkbasic pro.

Any Tips to make life easy in the long run is nice. I don't mind doing things the hard way at first, but i don't know if it is worth it in darkbasic pro.

Thank you!
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 03:44
from my experience coding all your objects is a very time consuming process. if you want to use custom models in your games you need to learn to model. blender is a free modeler, but it does have a learning curve for a beginner. darkbasic pro is the best basic language ever made. it is worth every penny and you can keep adding to it. dbpro is only going to get better and better. dark gdk is free now and it uses c++. a lot of its commands are similar to dbpro. if you are looking for free then it would be the best choice out there.i just completed a new tutorial in dbpro for making a first person shooter. it comes with all media but does require that you have dbpro to run it. i have a web site just for people like you that want to get started in making games. you could also download the new tutorial and look it over and see if this is what you would like to try.
visit my site and see what you think...http://www.jandscreations.com

thanks, pirate
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 04:23
I agree with pirate, use a 3D modeling program.

There are lots out there. Unfortunately I only have experience with Anim8or and Blender.

Animator is very easy to learn and use, but it often has problems exporting textures and other effects. Also, it can only export to 3ds, which takes forever to load.

Blender is the best one in my opinion, though it does have a huge learning curve. However, this Wiki Tutorial on Blender's website that is VERY helpful and informative and can teach you the basics in an hour or two. So, I recommend Blender. (www.blender.org)