Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Suggestions for 2D Fighter

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 01:42
A while back(mar. 23) I started a thread concerning making a fighting game. Well after seeing the suggestion post for ED, I thought it would be a good idea if I did the same also.

(here's that old link.
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=7758&b=9

I'm currently following through on that fighting game, although some of the concepts will be changed.
Currently the game is in concept design, and many of the characters, level backrounds, features have been noted, but I figure I should ask for suggestions now, before I get much more further in production.The inspiration for this project mainly goes for the fact that, there are almost 0 fighting games for the PC right now.

So what would you like to see in a fighting game?
2D or 3D(I'm more set on 2D right now, but if legitimate reasons are given I may change my mind.)

character concepts

levels

and anything else you can think of.

Thanks for your time

2D Fighting game in Progress
England 5 Germany 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 04:05
I prefer the isometric [I think their called that] fighting games such as Streets of Rage to the completely 2-d fighting games such as street fighter. Thus I would suggest making an isometric fighting game since you can still use 2-d sprites(if that was the reason why you wanted to make a 2-d game in the first place).
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 05:33
I used to REALLY enjoy the 2D fighting games like Capcom vs SNK, or Fatal Fury, Street Fighter, to todays Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the PS2. Heck, Guilty Gear is a testement to the fact that 2D is still alive and kickin' high. If you have the artistic still then I say go for it.
However, some of the Fatal Fury games were slightly isometric (ie the characters could sidestep to a different z-plane, making for some interesting attack combos).
However, I will admit that a game of this type will have to stress some innovation to be successful in order to bring out a different dimension in 2D. One Must Fall did this by having the characters fight as robots in 1994. Mortal Kombat introduced fatalities. Fatal Fury introduced the 2+ planes of fighting. Killer Instinct developed interesting fighters that were modeled in 3D before being converted to animation files. Such innovations is what kept this type of game alive.
Just my 2 cents.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 05:35
I'm pretty much set on a locked 2D view, just to keep things more simplistic.

Overall I could probebly code the backbone of the game in about
15-20 hours, but doing all the animations,adding those in,and then debugging, is gonna be about a 60 hour total of coding I figure.
And that's only if all works out.

Those are guesstimates also, so it could be a longshot if I decide to add more features in.

Right now I'm studying other 2D fighting such as street fighter, and mortal kombat, etc.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 05:39
So for this game to be successful, I would have to put something original to make it, well original and worth checking out.Hmmm, yea I'll really have to find something good. I was gonna put in a storyline, but it got really corny, and I wanted to keep this game as simple as possible, and make it fun more than anything. So I guess I should look into making some kind of unique gameplay system.hmmmmmmmmm, I'll definitly have to think about this.

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 05:56 Edited at: 28th Jun 2003 05:56
Yes, fun holds just as much as innovation in this balance of creativity. One thing though, what kind of combo system did you plan on developing. Killer Instict went waaaaay too gun-ho on ULTRAs (20+ hits in a verrrry long string). If a good button masher faced me I would sometimes think about putting my controler down while my character got helplessly pounded by a 40 hit combo. Don't get me wrong, combos are good, just in moderation. The same goes for projectiles; they are good, but Street Fighter made them way too much of a backbone. Perhaps projectiles should require hit combos to become activated again - hmmmmmm.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 06:02
I plan on making the special moves very simplistic, but you must build your way up to them.

ex.
Beat up the guy, fill your special meter bar(or whatever)perform a simple combo,or button mash, and activiate your special move.If I can do a good job on the visuals, I think I'll be able to get people coming back for more.

Only thing is I gotta keep this, so not just anyone can perform these special moves on there first play at the game.Also, I wanna avoid 1 hit kills, unless I make the move very complicated.

The overall goal of the game is to deliver fast paced action, some nice special effects,maybe even energy struggles(almost like dbz), and to make it fun, so you don't have to think about
"well this game could've been better if it had a story mode."

It'll be a tough task, but that's why I'm posting here for suggestions on how to help accomplish some of these goals.

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 06:51
What kind of characters did you have in mind? Martial Art masters, street thugs and martial artists, cyborgs, clansmen fighting for immortality, what??? Will the game feature monster-like characters like the transformations in Bloody Roar? Or are you still brainstorming?

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 23:10
Mainly I'm still brainstorming, but I'd like to have mainly martial artists, and then maybe give a fighter or 2 the power to morph into another animal/person/form or something.

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 23:44
Be VEERRRRY VERY careful that you aren't copy-cat-ing Bloody Roar. All the characters in that game morph into animal/beast counterparts.
Just a helpful comment there...

How do you wish the martial arts styles to be represented. Do you want there to be "named", identifiable styles in the game like:
"Kung Fu/Wushu styles"
"Muay Thai"
"Tae Kwon Do"
"Capeoria" - this would be an interesting one
"JuiJutsu"
"Japanese Arts/Karate/Ninjutsu"
"JKD"
etc.
If so, do you want to emulate genuine movements and give them an "powerfight" twist. I'm a bit picky about how styles are represented in these games since I have studied and actually practiced a few.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:46:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:46:01