Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 21:28
for all intents and purposes, im working on an ancient computer.

800mhz
19gb hard drive
8mb video memory (god help me)

i did upgrade my ram tho to 1 gig. its a 7 year old compaq and i hate it but its all i have.

My question is is it possible to make an *awesome* 2d game, with coding skill a non-issue, without any 3d whatsoever? My computer dies with 3d coding, and I noticed alot of stuff (background scolling) uses texture scolling alot on a 3d plane. so can I make a full "good" 2d game without any 3d whatsoever.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - please limit your signature to 600x120
Paul08
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:43 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 22:44
yes, have a little faith in your abilities! positive mental attitude!

(i dont know much about you financial situation but have you considered looking at eBay? i guessing a dual core processor entire computer wouldnt be much more than £400/$750? (i dont know USD)

Paul
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 23:16
See how my game 'Splat' works on your pc. It is all 2D with no 3D whatsoever. Just lots of pasted images. Go to my website to download it. It's under 1 megabyte so will download quick.

Boo!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 20:50
Of course you can make good games with 2D
Most of my stuff doesn't even use sprites!
This is kind of old now but it's fun Sand!

Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:16
wow that is impressive, thanks for the info guys, good to know i do have a hope.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - please limit your signature to 600x120
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 04:54
And PlayBasic is another option BTW - If I understand correctly - its sold here - has a free trial - and was actually DESIGNED primarily around 2d gfx. I think Kevin Picone wrote it - and he frequents these forums ... perhaps he'll chime in.

However - you are strapped PC wise etc... so try not to load any 3d or make object - because I THINK once DB goes 3d it doesn't go back.

try loading some images and making them into sprites and moving them around the screen etc... and see how your PC does.

Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 17:10
ive used sprites, which i know create the 3d envirment, its only the display of 3d models that give me a huge drop in framerate/processor speed.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 17:27
That's cool - I didn't think sprites turned on the "3d engine" but I'm definately learning all the time like you are I'm sure

Have you done any tests ... tried to make a 2d game?

One thing I know is that sometimes its better to develop on a slow machine - because you can't afford to have SLOP so you try to do things in a manner that executes and performs as fast and smooth as possible. (Don't forget to learn/use timer based movement though!) Like I don't have a great 3d card and I wrote this code that is special in that it tries REALLY hard to efficiently only render things in the camera view - and EXCLUDES 3d Objects from the scene that "wouldn't be on screen" ... this sounds silly but it made my Frame Rates go WAY UP.... Now when someone plays my stuff on a newer PC - it just PURRS.... they just see snappy and smooth.

Alot of times when people make games on fast systems... Like that Racing game that made a newsletter a bit ago - some go cart thing - it was SLOW Slow on my PC - it was unbearable - note that my PC plays the FPS game FarCry no problem - but this little go cart (cartoony) thing was AWFUL! Likely it was made on a fast machine where speed wasn't a factor to be concerned with. (This is why Microsoft has so much software bloat - they may figure it'll be fine - EVERYONE has a 5000$ PC on their desk ...RIGHT?)

anyway - to answer your original question for this THREAD...

WHO KNOWS?!?!? Will you PC do it? Only one way to find OUT!

Start making your game bro!

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 18:21
Quote: "I didn't think sprites turned on the "3d engine""

Sprites are actually 3D plains in DBPro - which apparently allows you to use effects on them which are normally only available to 3D objects.

TDK_Man

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 19:57
WOW - Really? Then - are they "Locked" Objects then? (To the screen - like someone might do to a 3d GUN for a FPS)?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 21:34
Sorry - I'm not a big DBPro user so I don't know the technical side of things. It's just what I've read here on the forums.

TDK_Man

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 16:45
Yeah sprites=3d objects wich allows stuff like rotate and scale but means loss of pixel perfect collision.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
David A
Years of Service
User Offline
I learned something as well.
Vesper103
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 23:04
i see, how hard would it be to make a function to draw "sprites" without using the 3d model. like load a image, use memblocks to split it into how many frames (specified by function parameters) then use an array to control the image id frame rate. kinda a cheap way of doing it but would that work/elimnate the 3d/make pixel perfect easier/be fast eneough?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 17:14
As far as I can see, if you don't use any command which has the word 'Sprite' or 'Bob' in it - only pasting images, then I would think that the DirectX 3D viewport would never be initialised.

I know others - like WindowsKiller have been working on pixel perfect collision, but I don't know if this has been using their own simulated sprites using images - or DB's sprite commands.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:22:53