Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / apples "g5" a 64 bit pc ownage monster

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 03:31
huh? i've never watched Disney Channel in my life, i haven't a f**king clue what your on about.

my name come from it actually being my Real Life nickname, and there is a reason behind it not that i'd tell you.
and Indi is right it has alot to do with the Black Bird of the same name.

your really begining to piss me off today, someone only just allow your internet access back or something - having to post so much crap in so many posts at one time.

I pride myself that i don't kill... well not without a good reason
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 08:10
This coming from you?!

Have you seen the complaints against you?!

Quid pro quo.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 08:29
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 10:06
i've seen complains, and i've seen just as many kudos ... i just bring out strong reactions in people - like human Marmite

Quote: "Quid pro quo."

i'm gonna be laughing about that for a while, just when you think that someone is dense enough ... they decide to open up a whole new level to being an idiot.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 19:11
Indi's right.

It's time to let this go.

I'm just happy that you got the chance to be on the receiving end of the kind of frustration you deal to others.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 07:16
arguments are healthy and debate is the only way we will discover ourselves and others around us.

I dont see a problem with a discussion and ignorance is a polite word instead of saying "you dont know what your talking about" I find the long winded way a bit more harsh.

theres nothing wrong with being ignorant. Being ignorant of the word "ignorant" tho is not good

Im ignorant about Quaternoin maths and the cartesian system as well as identifying a node in a bsp tree.
It doesnt matter its normal to be so in some situations.

anyway I need a huge mac for work related jobs, but ill wait till after I have moved north.
I thought you guys would of liked to see the hardware I was buying but some of you cant see past a 486 when it comes to discussions about computers.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:05
Its a good machine if you can afford it - as I said before...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 18:34
Quote: "Im ignorant about Quaternoin maths and the cartesian system as well as identifying a node in a bsp tree.
It doesnt matter its normal to be so in some situations."

ignorance is one thing... going off on a longwinded tangent about something you obviously don't know about and then going onto something else you also don't have a clue about ...
that goes past pure ignorance and right to being a fool

as for the hardware, it is good... cept it just seems silly to buy a mac nowadays with the lackluster support and minimum of things actually available for it, if you needed a powerful workstation i'd of suggested an IBM, HP or SGI workstation can get them for around the same price with similar speed especially the newer ones with Wildcat cards. plus the Alpha processor is widely supported.
just think its sad that Macs are only really useful now to diehard fans and how do mac repay you for being fans - by overcharging you.
Seems like a backhanded thankyou to me

Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
>hahaa (^_^) 1Ghz FSB, what a waste of time when the Ram is limited
>to 400Mhz

Except that Apple is actually using a dual channel architecture, giving it a bandwidth of 6.4GB.

>>You say that apple will switch over to the end of the x86
>>architecture. I find that impoosibly hard to believe.
>>You will find x86 architecture is way past its use by date, I think
>>you will see a change the other way.
>
>So is PowerPC, it was designed and still is designed with dependancy
>upon the 68k processor (check the lastest designed you'll not find
>they build it into the core itself)

This is so wrong! PowerPC is based on the IBM Power architecture. In fact, the first PowerMac mainboards had the entire Power chipset(2 chips) from IBM, with a Motorola logo painted on.

What you are misunderstanding is that even after the introduction of the PowerMac, MacOS was not ported completely to the PowerRISC architecture, so Apple built in a M68K software emulator that some parts of the OS actually ran on, while the rest of the OS were compiled to native PPC.

This worked so well in fact, that you could use instructions from both instruction-sets in an application.

>Though this G5 64Bit Processor is impressive, just goto the Intel >and AMD sites, checkout thier Itainium & Optiron speeds against
>thier own processor ... they make this processor look like Chicken
>feed. They have greater support, and even beside thier more complex
>architecture they also are alot simpler to program for - i mean
>although they have like 250 opcodes each one does do something you
>want and you can combine them in sequences rather than the other
>processors which require alot more care and thought.

X86 easier to code for than PPC RISC?
Please explain!

>the 68k processor was awesome in its day, personally i hope that
>sometime soon they get back to redeveloping a chip based on that
>rather than PPC. If you ever look at the older Amgia's you'd
>probably understand why too.

Could you please explain what you mean by that... I am serious! This statement is really interesting on so many levels!

Which 68K would you 'redevelop'?

Andy

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:43
That's a nice Mac.

(Don't you just love posts that don't have any relation to the string of replies following and branching off from the original topic)

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
>ignorance is one thing... going off on a longwinded tangent about
>something you obviously don't know about and then going onto
>something else you also don't have a clue about ...
>that goes past pure ignorance and right to being a fool

But Raven, you do that yourself!

Aircraft:
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=6522&b=2

Computer history and processors:
Various threads where I posted to correct you misinformation and then you maintained that you were right, citing people in the know and conspiracy theories...

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=12480&b=2

It is very clear that you have a very incomplete knowledge of computer history and hardware, and when someone corrects you, you get defensive and maintain your story.

Amiga:
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=12614&b=2

The problem when you comment on historical or hardware related subjects, is that you present your views with an air of selfconfidence that could be misinterpreted as if you actually know what you are talking about.

I am sure that you are well-versed in your field, but you certainly aren't in mine(Hardware related). I am not trying to knock you, but you opened the door to this yourself when you complained about ignorance.

Andy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:33:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:33:53