Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 16:41
I've been trying to understand how matrixes work. But, I am baffled. Can anyone try to give me a short explanation involving words of no more than two syllables?

Also, assume that you are talking to someone of, say, the average intelligence level of about an 11 year old and I'll understand your explanation! LOL!

Thanks guys. Appreciated, as always.

Philip
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 17:23
Hmm, words of no more than two syllables... (that gets rid of 'matrices', and 'syllables', incidentally)

A matrix is a set of numbers, arranged in a grid. You can use them to solve... (damn, I'll have to use more than two syllables) equations, and they are frequently used in the drawing of 3D objects. However, to program in Dark Basic you don't actually need to know anything about matrices, all the object drawing is completely built in, you just need to position the objects and the camera, DB will draw it for you. The place I've found them most useful while programming is solving simultaneous equations during collision detection, but most of that is built in as well.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 18:35
I see. So in other words, they are like a 3d grid, i.e. a cube of numbers?

At the risk of asking a stoopid question, how is that different from a 3 level array, i.e.

dim threedimension(3,3,3)

?

Cheers

Phil

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2003 21:21
Matrices are usually only 2D. They are almost exactly the same as a 2D array, except you can perform mathematical operations on matrices, adding them, multiplying them together etc which you can't do with arrays. Plus you can find the inverse of a matrix and use that to solve simultaneous equations.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:19:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:19:14