Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Files Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 21:57 Edited at: 1st Mar 2008 21:57
EDIT:Sorry forgot to put that I'm using DBPro

Ok, I've started a 2d rpg, as some of you know, and I intend to finish it, maybe not soon...but I won't give up on it like most I've seen around here. Anyway my question is, how many source code files should I have for my 2d rpg? like what i mean is a seperate source file for battles, a seperate one for world generation (placing sprites on the world map when traveling), a seperate one for the main menu...yadda yadda yadda...how many files should i have these sperated into? one for each one?

Another question is say I only have a start menu and a battle system and the main code. So I have a start menu source file, a battle system source file, and a main source file...in seperate dba's or dbpro's files...how would I get it to start with the menu, then determine where to go, then go to the main, then if you get into a battle then goto the battle...how do I make it do the priorities (such as new game, loading, help, settings etc.) go first, then execute the next one.

Please tell me if im not making sense...and thanks for all the help in advance.

do you love video games a lot ¿¿¿ then comeon down too game zone252 @ http://www.freewebs.com/gamezone252/
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 02:25
Quote: "EDIT:Sorry forgot to put that I'm using DBPro"

Erm... That would be why you've posted on a DBPro board yes?

Quote: "Anyway my question is, how many source code files should I have for my 2d rpg?"

1, 2, 4.. or as many as you like. As they are all compiled into a single file for compiling it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. It's entirely up to you.

Personally I would have just one dba file with each task in a separate procedure or function, but at the end of the day it's whatever you want.

Quote: "how do I make it do the priorities (such as new game, loading, help, settings etc.) go first, then execute the next one."

If they are external files they are functions. When compiled they are all combined into one piece of source code and passed to the compiler. So you call them as if they were in a single file... which is exactly the same as if you had separate procedures or functions in a single .dba file in the first place.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:18:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:18:22