Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Show me your best stuff!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 05:24 Edited at: 29th Jun 2003 05:29
Hi,

I've just downloaded the DBPro demo and so far I've been fairly impressed with what I've been able pick up and understand in the half hour or so I've been using it.

Only rotating and texturing cubes etc, but its a start!

Anyway, can you point me to any complete games, tech demos etc that show off DBPro at its best? I'm particularly interested in its particle system and realtime shadows. I'd also take a look at anything else you lot tell me is worth looking at.

I've looked at most of the 13 demos on the downloads page, but they're pretty old and I don't think they're really 'selling' DBPro as well as they could be.

Cheers in advance!

PS Why are some topics in bold text and some.... er... not?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 10:52
Welcome

I agree, the DB tech demos don't show DB's full potential .

There ~95 games in the retro competion, some of the are excelent considering they probably didn't have enough time to add everying they wanted.

I just look around the forums and click on peoples website links, which usually show off their games and stuff. Ironically, don't click on mine coz there isn't anything at the moment.

The topics in bold are the topics or posts you haven't read yet...I think .

Hope that helps :-Y
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2003 14:26
If you want to see some raw examples, the help file examples are fine.

The particles showcase and basic3d showcase (with shadows + shaders) are adequate to show what can be done.

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
GFK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 02:23 Edited at: 30th Jun 2003 02:24
Particle Showcase??

Basic3D Showcase?????

May I enquire where I may find these technological delights?

(drunk, sorry).

:-s

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 02:34
Just hit F1 within editor and then click on Examples. Maybe you don't get them in demo version though.

Must agree Oliver on retro games though. I have downloaded ALL of them and most have source code which you can learn a lot from.

Don't do drugs kids. There is a time and place for everything. It's called college.
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 03:34
No, you don't get them in the demo. It's a shame really, because it's left me a bit puzzled over some of the new commands (since classic), but I guess it's to keep download sizes down.

Anyway, although it's only made in DBClassic, you could take a look at my Sherman 2 game (now rated #49 at freewarefiles.com!). Doesn't really show off a lot, but it's a nice and complete game nonetheless!

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
GFK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 05:08
no wait! you misunderstand!

I'm not so concerned about understanding Dark Basic! I've been programming in one language or another for 17 years, so grasping a new language isn't really the issue.

I just want to see what its *really* capable of in the right hands.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 20:09
To get the particles example (if you can't find it in the main menu of help) type in "make particles" into ther editor. Select it, press F1 then at the bottom there should be a link.

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
GFK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 01:53
David,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it appears there are no examples included with the demo version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:51:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:51:58