Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Some Basic questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 12:56
Hi all!

Yesterday I tried DBp and really liked it, since it`s very powerful and easy-to-use. I downloaded almost all the examples and tuts I could find, read lots of topics and so on... Here are some questions, that popped up:

1) Is the Sparky`s collision the best for now? I want to start working on third person game, so I need bounding box collision( static or dynamic) and sliding at the same time, not sphere collision, which workf just great, but will give bad results in 3person game.

2) How can I find my character`s hand bone, to attach weapon?

3) Any ideas of edge hang and edge climb scripts?

4) Do you know better example for a TPG? The best I may find now is the one in the Sparky`s example with the small spheres purchasing you.

5) Any ideas of realtime bone rotation? To get for example the result of TR2 style looking around

6) Sure I`ll have more questions, but I think that`s enough for now... 0=)
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 15:26
Welcome!

1.) That's mostly opinion but I think most people favor Sparky's for that kind of stuff. There's also Newton, though.

2.) There are no bones in DBPro. Instead there are limbs. You can find out which limb is the hand by using this code to load your object and looking at the limb names it displays:

3.) In programming, you'll find that there are many, many entirely different ways to get the program to do a certain thing. I would say you should use TDK's code for a cube in which each side is a seperate limb (below). You can scale it using SCALE OBJECT if you need a different size platform. Then you can easily check to see if the character is touching the limbs on the sides or the limbs on the top and bottom.

Then you can use GLUE OBJECT TO LIMB to attach a weapon to the hand limb.

4.)What's that?

5.)Again, there are no bones in DarkBASIC. However, you can use the app above to find out which limb is the head, for example. Then you can easily use the head's limb number to rotate it around with ROTATE LIMB and similar commands.

6.) Ok...that's why we're here

the nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 21:53
He-he...

Thanks, buddy...

in 4) I was talking about better example for a Third Person Game. The best one I could find was the one I already mentioned.

Any further questions will be using the same post, `cause I don`t want to fill the community with my endless questions.

I`M A MEMBER OF THE "WHY-WHY?" FAMILY....
the nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 01:10
Well, well...

1)
My second day with DB. Actually about the 5-th hour dealing with it. I started using Newton. Now I have to cast a ray, poitning downwards and depending on his return value to keep the Newton bounding box at particular distance from ground, so to be able to climb stairs and slopes without stopping the character. Finding the normal of the surface will be really cool too, because I want to check if it`s above a predefined value to slide down the character( like in Sparky`s, but in Newton).

I`m using this code, but the value it returns is kinda weird:

Actually this function works only if its content is placed in the MAIN LOOP. Where should I put the function call to use the new function(which I hope you`ll write down) only when I want to (outside of the MAIN LOOP-as a function, as it should be)?

2)
I want to be able to rotate(pan) my character using the left and right buttons without changing its position. Currently I`m using this:

Yeah, I know that these scripts are just copied from the samples, but I`m still in my early DB childhood. =)))
Anyway, this script is not satisfying. I need something like torque to add, so the character to stand still while turning.

3)
Now I`m using a Newton Box for character collision. I tried adding capsule or cylinder, but they`re not standing "tall", but rotated over the "Z" plane. How can I make them "stand up". He-he- I tried shouting at them really badly, but they`re pretending being deaf or someting...How can I achieve this? Using Joints?!

Thanks in advance...
the nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 13:10
Anyone?
the nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 11:20
Nevermind. I did almost everything by myself...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:21:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:21:14