Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Packaging a Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello All,
I have a question, So when I get done I have a game a huge folder full of .x files and graphics files varing from PNG to JPEG. but when i distribute my game I need a way to protect those files from stealing. .x is great for loading into darkgdk but when distributing a game this doesnt make the best sence. How can I encode the files for protected distribution. one Idea I had was to compress all the data into a protected zip file with a different extention to hid it is a zip file then on program load extract out the resources into a temp folder but that would slow game load time. is there a better way. I even though maye if I could use a zip stream and load the data from a zip stream into darkgdk it would be cool but I dont have that low a level of access. How is everyone else doing it.

Thanks,
Terry
Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
that would protect anything they run teh game find the temp folder while the game is running and theres all the content. ( the renamed zip method ) also alot of people would try and load any packed file in Winrar and it would open fine as your method ( i know id try it )

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 19:50
Basically what you will find is, if there is a way to protect it, there's someone out there that will find a way to crack it.

In the end you have to resign yourself to the fact that the textures and models that you are placing in the game will be at risk of being extracted from the game and used for something else.

There are many AAA titles out there that you can get into their models rather easily.

You just have to be prepared for what you plan to do if the situation arises where you find that someone has release a work containing your models or textures. Do you sue them? Do you have your lawyer write them a nasty-gram? (otherwise known as a cease and desist letter) or do you let it go if they've altered the model or texture from your original design, and if they did, would you even be able to tell?

It's a complex subject, and I haven't really seen a good solution yet.

It's a big universe, and they are out there somewhere.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 20:27
Here is my plan... but because I tell you know, I have to kill you

just kidding:

When the game starts then unpack only the files you need right now. If your game is in several levels then wait with next level media until the player come to cut-scene.

Dont unpack in the gamefolder, but make a temp folder anywhere on the computer. Control where you can quickly save files and make a temp folder there, unpack the media, load in game and delete it again with folder.

For packing the files search for a zip-lib. Change it if you can and maybe put in some "keywords". But anyway... if people wants to steal your media they can.... Im sitting and looking on Blizzards media to see how they made it.

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Monitoring File extraction to folders can be done to find what hidden temp folder they were extracted to. Albeit not by most casual people who would be looking for a quick way to rip model's

Blizzards media is also crackable theres a few model viewers and .Mpq Extractors out there ( i also turned to them for inspiration on the same subject and was dissapointed with the ease you could get them out )

the only true fire way your going to make those models useless to anyone but yourself is to code your own model loading system and filetype . Ie they can extract them but there useless after without the code to use them or render them,

Password encrypted packages may work provided the game client has a way of using said password to open them.

and is probally the easiest workaround for a "mostly" secure package.

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 21:55
WRONG!!!!!

Make a Utility To Load all your MEDIA, Encrypt, save. Period.

Models? Load, Scramble Verts, Save as DBO

Sound? Same thing - some wav formats give ya grief when you try to do memblock stuff (like encrypt/decrypt)

This way your media is RIGHT IN THEIR FACES! but its useless! LOL

My Friend Used to over think things, he spontaneously combusted LOL

Epipfany Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Jason I like that Idea.

Thanks,
Terry

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 03:49:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 03:49:50