Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Opprobrium

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 06:53 Edited at: 14th Mar 2008 00:57
old thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124804&b=8

I'v been working on this for quite some time and i think it's ready for the wip board. it was originally going to be a 3D peasant quest type game (if you've never heard of it you just walk around and type things) but i decided to make it a Zelda type game when i actually got it set up

Plot
plot is finished. you have woken up in a storm and don't know who you are. you realize you are in a small quarantined town, one of many throughout the land. outside the city walls are many savage monsters every where. your job is to to find the source of this evil and destroy it. you don't know what it is or where it is, but you do know it is called, the opprobrium (look it up, or not, it means disgrace rising form shameful conduct or cause of disgrace) which is now the title of the game Opprobrium

finished:
killing
talking
collision
simple models
story
basic AI
working on:
new terrain
trees
peasants
Have not started:
bosses
water,swimming,drowning,ect
so much more

screeny

another screeny

and another

youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APPRsqW8AzI

Just a few Updates since the last thread, i changed the thread name because i made a name, a sword has been successfully put in, along with one of Crazy's and Cory's monsters, which you can kill.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 22:35
Heehee, that looks pretty fun. The models look a bit on the primitive side but I think it gives the game a nice style. One thing you might want to do is look at the music: the tune is good, but I thought it was a bit... piercing?

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking fun. Will keep an eye on this.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 01:15 Edited at: 17th Mar 2008 01:15
Sorry about the music, i forgot i even still had it. i always play with the music off. i'll find somthin else.

Update: added a new monster in, another one of Crazy and corys models, with i small retexture, so it looks like a demon. it is slower than the crab but harder to kill and when i get the character health working right it will do more damage, and send you flying back, but im still working on that.

screeny

Attachments

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 06:03
Haha, that crab was funny how it died...

I'm impressed, reminds me a little of Diablo, the whole hack and slash top down kind of game. Awesome style, I say stick with it. Too many games go for complete realism in my opinion. I suggest you hot key those menu buttons. That would make playing easier for people. Plus you could free up the mouse for point and click movement and clicking to attack.

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 06:56
lol, the crab will eventually blow up in a big gory mess after spinning when im finished with him.

i already hotkeyed the attack, its shift. just wondering, would you all prefer wsad movement or arrow keys or both?

never played diablo before but i might consider getting it.

oh, and about the mouse clicking, i may consider it, but i dont like the whole 3d mouse thing. to complicated for me

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 21:28
Quote: "never played diablo before but i might consider getting it."

It'd be worth your time to buy the diablo battlechest, which has diablo I and II and the expansion and a strategy guide.

People are always willing to help, and there are tons of examples. I just think it'd be better that wasd movement.

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 23:44 Edited at: 17th Mar 2008 23:49
Quote: "It'd be worth your time to buy the diablo battlechest, which has diablo I and II and the expansion and a strategy guide. "

ill look into it, but right now im broke, and im trying to find 3 more quarters so i have the money to buy battlefield 2 (which is 10$). i realy need to find a job

i know about all the many examples around the forum, but mouse movement just wasn't what i was looking for. im trying to avoid my game being similar to runescape (they use mouse movement) because every rpg game i have ever made some one has compared to runescape. "hey these people look like their from rune scape" or "wow this is just like runescape because you chop down trees and start fires and cook food, kill monsters, ect" and even a "this is like runescape, which is bad, because i hate runescape" im not saying that mouse movement is bad, im just a little afraid of my game being compared to runescape again

i will add in wsad movement in a few seconds
[Edit] wsad movement working, as well as arrow keys

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
The sword looks HUGE!

That's awesome! BUt wouldn't it mean maybe a 'future' glitch where you can hit through thin walls? I've seen this happen before, so I'm just asking and wondering.

Grrrr you ALL!
A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 02:09 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 02:16
yes, the sword is huge, mostly because the first weapon i made was a dagger and the screen resolution was so low you could not see it, it was it looked like 8 pixels squashed together. but i dont use the collisions on the sword, my modeling program makes a big box around it and calls that the object collision (Dont know why, and if this is a noob mistake please tell me) i use a small invisible box for sword collision, which could go through walls but ill make sure that the walls are thick enough so that does not happen. later i might make the sword stop when it hits the wall but that is for another time

screeny is of unhidden sword collision

[edit] my brother told me the color of the rain is off, could i get some feedback on my raindrop?

Attachments

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 03:15 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 03:16
The color is too saturated for a raindrop... I've "processed" the screenshot of your raindrop to look closer to what a drop of water should probably look like. Just trying to give you a bit of a nudge in the right direction for color. And of course it's only my impression. I think this one still has a bit too much saturation, but it's closer.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 05:53
thanks lucy! I also use these rain drops at night, so i would need a darker rain drop. I don't want to be rude but, could you help me out? i would do it my self but im color blind...

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 06:05 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 06:09
I thought you might be colorblind. I work with an artist who is colorblind with issues regarding blue, and it looked like a mistake she might make. I just didn't say anything

Not sure how exactly I could help you... How are you doing this? The image looks like it's coming from a composite of multiple particles being emitted... My suggestion would be mainly to just stick with shades of grey for rain drops. You can't go wrong with grey. To be honest, I've rarely seen colored rain in video games unless it was like bright green or something. Although the real world sometimes has red rain... I like red rain... It freaks people out when it happens

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 06:39
Quote: "Although the real world sometimes has red rain... I like red rain... It freaks people out when it happens"

umm.. ok, so ill stick with shades of grey. that will be easy. thanks for the help

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 07:46
Quote: "thanks for the help"

Not a problem. Sorry if my words have been odd or harsh... Social skills escape me

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep the big sword. It is cool .

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 23:24 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 23:51
Quote: "Keep the big sword. It is cool"

thanks, thats what i was thinking too.

[edit] what the cheese? my siggys gone!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 01:27 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 01:28
Quote: "what the cheese? my siggys gone!"

My guess is that either the file size or the pixel size was too large on the signature.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 02:03
haha, yeh, use my sig as a guide...your was just 26 pixels too tall i'm afraid.

looks like a pretty awesome start, i'll be keeping an eye on it!

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 23:17 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 23:27
Fixed. 26 is not alot, ive used that sig for like, 2 months. thanks for the comments.

[edit] awwwwww shoot!!! my parents are being but holes and said that i can only use the computer and tv on weekends because i "need to do more extra curricular stuff" i was kicked of the track team and my parents are all like MEH! if you cant do sports you cant do anything! your cousin is the 27th fastest runner in the country! be for like him! play foot ball like your brother! if you life is not sports, you don't get special privileges like your brothers. and if you find another sport to play we are going to keep it this way so you don't piss off the coaches and get yourself kicked of the team again, because you wont have anything to do when you get home.

right now im writing this while they are gone, and since im busy on the weekends, im never gona get a chance to program again, or really visit these forums. so progress on this is gona stop, sorry.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 00:18 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 00:20
Your parents are .

They could say "take the bike for an ride for at last half an hour before you sit down with the computer" instead.

Seriusly, I understand their intentions, and excercise is only good, but if it will be in the way for your interests it is bad. They and you should sit down and talk about it until you find an solution that gets you excercice and time to program.

I mean, look at my brother. He studies full time (I think), have two jobs and still have time for the gym. So you should be able to find some kind of compromise or an different type of solution.

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 22:51
found that compromise, if i get a job then i can come home and use the computer, im getting a part time job at Micky D's because they are the only people that hire kids my age. next year ill try working Einstein's bagels but this is good enough for now. minimum wage! at least i get paid (a little) for something i hate. ok, back to programming...

Pet A Mizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol grats, you can program Wewt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe i'll make you make me a big mac... Mwuahahhahahaha. xD

Grrrr you ALL!
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Good that you solved it . Want to see more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:44