Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / .x model animation not working.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 19:47
Ok, I've got a model that I loaded into Milkshape. The animations look fine in Milkshape. I export to .X using the DirectX(JT) exporter. Basically I stuck with the default options in the exporter.

I've loaded the file in the DirectX file viewer, but the animations look weird. For example the dying animation should be the character falling backwards, but it looks more like the torso falls, then one of the legs breaks off, a foot goes a totally different direction, and it just looks weird.

So I go ahead and try to get some kind of movement in DBPro. I've tried various SET OBJECT FRAME, PLAY OBJECT, LOOP OBJECT settings, but the model just stands there in the original position.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong in this process?

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 20:21
In the past when I have had this issue, I have found that it is due to an extremely large number of frames - i.e. somewhere around 10000 frames. So the animation is working, but so slowly that you can't notice it. Try using the command to get the total number of frames for your object and that should give you a better idea.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 20:53
Um, yeah that was it.

Over 107,000 frames..

There's a setting in the exporter called "Animation Time Factor". It's default is set to 210. It's used as a multiplier for something about DirectX8. I changed that to 2 and got the frames down to just over 1,000. It's playing.

The animations are still messed up though. Body parts fly in all different directions. Very strange..

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 21:01 Edited at: 14th Mar 2008 21:06
If the first frame is correct, then the transform matrix for the animation frames is wrong, that's why the thing flies apart.

Cash Curtis II knows the answer to your problem...let me find it for you.

EDIT: Here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116309&b=1
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 21:26
Ok, that seemed to help. Thanks.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 21:53
No problem. I like to see MilkShape working in the DBPro toolchain. I don't have it anymore, but it is a great tool, imo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:12