Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Krizon Level Layout designs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 09:08
Hello, guys, I'd like to know what you'll think of my level layouts for my game so far. This is level 1 and level 2 of the game, so you'll have any suggestions bout placement of enemies, weapons, health...pacing. I've been tweaking stuff and came down to this, I'm working on the 3rd one right now.

Thanks.

P4 3.2GHZ | 512MB ram | Geforce 5200 256MB | WinXP
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 11:07
Looks really good, but sometimes ingame is different to theory. but it's always a good thing to make some plans. at last if you work in a team or even for yourself, so you always keep up your way and don't lose it in "how should it look" situations. keep it up!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 03:12
questions:

1) why would you post the same thread twice under 2 different user names within 5 minutes of eachother?

2) this makes your 5th/6th WIP thread for Krizon... ?

3) do you expect real feedback on your level design without real info about the game itself? or is "they look good" all you're hoping for?

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 07:30
Okay, first off, I forgot I was logged in as a different user name, didnt wanna post under that name. Didnt mean to post same thing twice! I've had a few old threads where i put my design doc which had plenty of information bout the game. In this post i wasnt trying to post all the info bout the game or else i would have. I only wanted feedback on what you'll saw, but ok heres the game treatment doc to read. I dont see why you can give feedback on the design layouts, but whatever.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 13:08
ok, your level maps are pretty standard stuff. the bridge challenge sounds interesting but the rest appears to be basic "find the key" or "close the valve" routines.

the reason i asked about some background to the game is because:

level 1 appears to be a standard structure while level 2 seems to spread out unnecessarily. i was hoping to find a reason for it in whatever storyline you have.

also, on level 1, the back wall in room "c" is "stepped" and i'm curious as to why.

regarding the creature encounters, are they (the creatures) stationary or do they patrol/what is their AI?

all in all they're standard maps and i guess i'm just dense but while i would have liked to help, i fail to see how we can have enough infomation from what you've provided here to honestly evaluate them. you ask about health and creature placement but omit information about both. do the health packs replentish 100% or 20%? are the creatures "one shot = 1 kill"? do they have line-of-sight or simple range triggers? are there stealth aspects to your game?

maybe i'm reading too much into this so i'll just say "they look good" & leave it at that. <shrugs>

Virtual Nomad
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 06:59
Okay I see what your getting at. The game isnt broken down into levels as the player would see, but from a design stand point I have broken it down. There is 3 big structures that are part of this Krizon facility. Level one and level two as you see there wont apear to be seperate to the player. Structure 2 which your looking at there is made up of say 4 major areas, that I've called levels. I define this game as being an action-adventure game. Influenced some what of resident elements also. Dark weird atmosphere in which the player will be confronted with some easy challenges, but they will be doing some thinking right. The enemies there will be stationary until the player reaches a detectable distance from the specific creature.

Then they will of course go after the player and attack them, there not suppose to be all that smart, well some of them later on in the game will be. They wont really be patrolling more of like doom, they run up on you kind of. In that room where gameplay element c happens, hmmm Im suppose to represent how the walls come around it goes into this computer work station back there?

I've attached the gameplay diagrams for level 1, that explain in full depth how each of those gameplay challenges(A,B,C...)play out, check them out and see what you think. Here is the current design doc i have still in the works, alot of info there in depth stuff. First time I've showed anyone it, so I'm curious to know what people think.

Thanks, for the feedback, sorry for the lack of info provided.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 07:17 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 07:18
ok, i read through all of that pretty quickly and i'm terribly impressed with your documentation. that's pretty thorough stuff!

i will say that, given the statement regarding steam causing rapid health loss, you should consider providing health to the player a little sooner that after the valve challenge and, as i count it, 8 enemy encounters. this is also an early opportunity to let the player know whether or not health packs will be scarce, or plentiful, in your game. i'll assume "scarce" to maintain a decent level of difficulty, so how about dropping a health pack in room A or B (or anywhere, really) on level 1. this way, if the player gets beat up before entering the existing health areas on level 2, they can backtrack and replentish. if they do it too soon, they'll still have the valve challenge and/or the remaining baddies to contend with and will quickly realize "i should have saved that health pack!". see my point?

again, this is all relative. if the early encounters are "weak", then they don't need the health early on. if they're a decent challenge, then i'd give the player a chance to decide how they want to ration out their future replentishing opportunities.

i hope all that makes sense and helps some

Virtual Nomad
Anthony 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 20:14
Thats meakes sense, I must have overlooked that if the player could mess up in the steam valve challenge and loose a huge amount of health. The first available health is kind of far, and there is enemies in the way. The enemies in the beginning arent that heard to take then, it will take 4 hits with the stantard weapon configuration they start with. They have a health of 20, and the weapon has a hit of 5. I'm thinking of putting health in the room with C or in the big area before you get to the access bridge, or what if I put it after the steam valve challenge, how would that effect you say if you was playing.

what do you think of some of the concepts I've created, I was trying to be original as could be with a little influence from past games. Like with the sylotron and sylos, narvital pills for health with that slight after effect, the commadact...sound like a game you'd play?

Thanks.

Shadow Designs Development Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:23:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:23:38