Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / program crash when trying to load .bsp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi,
i am trying to load a bsp file but i keep getting this crash error

First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in Project Movian.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.
Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in Project Movian.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.

there is a new.bsp in the debug folder, aswell as all the extracted texture files used aswell

any help is apriciated.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 22:08
Try moving it into the project directory. Although your executable is in the DEBUG directory...I think the project directory is the current working directory when the program lights off. You might also try checking to see if the file exists before handing it off to the GDK code.

Also, make sure that the textures are in supported formats.
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
moved the .bmp textures to the project folder along with new.bsp and the error still ocurs.

the bsp is allso a simple box room made with hammer editor. so there are no enteties or anythign in there ...
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 22:33
put it in a pk3. this solved the problem for me. (I got other problems that I still haven't fixed though).
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
pk3's are just renamed zips if i remember correctly from quake 3 arn;t they ?
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 00:15 Edited at: 16th Mar 2008 00:19
Yes, that is correct. You should also make sure that the textures are in the correct format in the bsp, which would be easy to verify in your map editor. I have forgotten that before, but in DBPro, it just fails to load textures that it can't find, or support.

Maps can have holes in them, even simple ones. Quark won't let you save a map with a hole in it, the compiler won't touch it.
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 15:03 Edited at: 16th Mar 2008 18:11
ok now i get a break when the program tries to load the map.
and i get the option to either break or continue
if i break it says that the issue is with dbLoadBSP
however if i select continue
the screne goes completly green.
i have attached the pk3 file i am using.

The error i recieve is as follows

and no i did not press f12

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 19:23
yep i'm getting exaclty the same error. it does it with all BSPs, except the one used in the BSP sample. that loads fine
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
what bsp sample ?
the game level that is provided is a dbo
:S

i really need to get this working guys or i am going to have to wait and buy a program that can make dbo files. which i can't afford at the moment (as i just paid for a developer cd with source code for a part of the project i am working on!)
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 18:09
The pk3 that you provided references a WAD file. Are you making a QII bsp? Also, two of the textures have characters prepended to them that I do not know what they mean...'{' and '!'.

At any rate, the .WAD file is not in your pk3.

GDK has the same bsp file that comes with DBPro, but it is not contained in a pk3, its just the bsp file.

Try using QIII format, I don't think it uses WAD files, or the WAL or PCX formats, which DBPro does not support.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 19:48 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 01:01
I have found a similar issue, but I'm not sure if it is related. I updated my DBPro, and am working on a project that uses bsps.

When I tried to load the bsp as usual, it crashed with an error that looks alot like yours, which appears to be related to a NULL pointer issue. I decided to chop up my load cycle a little by inserting message boxes that would tell me where the code was at in the load process. I wanted to be sure it was not at the load bsp statement. My code loads the bsp, then sets bsp collision for the player and the camera only.

That fixed the crash, I assume by allowing a thread to complete its task, or allow a message to be processed. I saw a similar problem someone recently had when deleting an image.

I am looking into it some more, but I would suggest that you install some delays, at least...to see if it completes the load cycle in time for the rest of your code to work with it.

Okay, I think I've found the issue with my code, at least. In my case, I needed to call set display mode because I was reloading assets, and I don't think the DX device remained valid.

It makes me think that perhaps you are loading the bsp too soon in your startup. Could you move to later in the code?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 09:30
Quote: "what bsp sample ?"

in Samles/Visual Studio 9/World

and i move the loadbsp to right before the main loop, but i still get the error.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 09:36
Did you try using set display mode before loading it?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 11:27
I think so. I'm at the wrong computer to check,but I used something to set it to 800x600, and that may have been it
Movian
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "what bsp sample ?"
in Samles/Visual Studio 9/World

and i move the loadbsp to right before the main loop, but i still get the error."

Thanks!

i only found the examples under the tutorials. this section helps alot! and i think i can get up and running using this bsp example. thanks for the help guys!
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 20:04
I doubt it, but good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 03:51:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 03:51:05