Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Character animations, which was to proceed?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I am just looking for a bit of advice here. I am only new to DBPro, but absolutely love it. My plan is to make some games that I can use my VR hardware with. So far so good, I have managed to connect to my VR tracker server and get the tracker data, and use that to change my camera view, rotate my torso etc. I am just not sure how to proceed with my character and its animations. At the moment I am a sphere on top of a cube with a gun poking out

What I need my character to do it the usual walk, run, jump, crouch etc. But independent to all of that I need the head to 'look around' and I need my hands to point in different directions as well. I will have one tracker on my body that will determine the direction the character faces. I will have another tracker on my head to change the pitch roll and yaw of the characters head. I have a head mounted display so this will simulate me looking around. And I will have another tracker on my right hand (also with pitch, roll and yaw) which will allow me to aim a weapon in a different direction to where I am looking.

Initially I was thinking I would need to have a headless, armless body animated for the walking, running etc and that I would have my head and arm as separate objects that I can rotate and position according to the tracker data. But then I was reading about the Enhanced Animations plug-in and notice it allows separate lower body animations to upper body animations. I am not sure if it allows separate animations to the head, arm etc. Eventually I will have bend sensors on some gloves so I will also want to animate the hands to match my own hands too. I can imagine this turning into many thousands of frames.

Can anyone advise me on what would be the best place to start?
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 14:31
Well, in this kind of case, I wouldn't use any animation at all for the head and hands, and only use the DBP limb commands for that.

It's pretty much impossible to do this only with animations.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:38