Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Cherokee Level Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 01:36 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 23:16
This editor is open source, freely usable for commercial purposes. I don't care if you even resell it, as long as my name is in the credits somewhere. This project is being done to make it easy for non artists to throw together something at least presentable for a level.

It's NOT intended to be a modeler but rather a useful, all purpose level editor and eventually physics sandbox.

The basic idea is to be able quickly put together levels by using textured primitives and loaded models.

As I'm developing this, it's being done with the Zero Defects Methodology. Which means "fix the bugs now, add new features later". Anything I release on the forums here is going to be extremely stable and have very few bugs. The source code is included incase you'd like to help with the development or make use of the tool itself. The only thing I ask if you release a game using code from this tool is to have either my name under an appropriate section of the credits file or "Cherokee Level Editing Tool" somewhere in the credits file for the game.

Features
= Already implemented / Beta and RC quality
= Currently in the bugsquash cycle / Alpha and Beta quality
= Soon
= Not yet, but planned

Easy to use interface
Primitives
Manipulating objects (moving, scaling, rotating, texturing, etc
Saving/Loading of scenes with reusable code to make it easy to reuse the routines for an actual game
Snap objects to grid
Reference grid (sort of fi)
Using models for objects
Compensate for the majority of bad model origins
General improvements to make the interface even easier (always underway)
Undo system (Beta for primitives, Alpha for models)
Changing/Saving/Loading global parameters such as global lighting, backdrop color, fog, etc
Linking multiple objects together as limbs
Physics
Generating light maps and saving light mapped objects as .dbo
Positioning and configuring cameras, linking them to an object's movement with a scale multiplier, useful for sky boxes, security cameras, quick and dirty portal effects, etc.
Trigger zones
Environment zones (new background colors, fog settings etc... useful for things like underwater areas)
Configuring and applying shaders on objects.
Linking objects together as limbs
Saving and loading of "composite objects" (multiple objects put together as limbs within the editor)

A video on Youtube of version 0.01.9.7

FAQ:
Q: What gives? It's just the basics! This sucks!
A: What gives is that I'm not rushing new features out, I'm polishing what's already there and rigorously testing for and fixing bugs until it there's nothing left to fix.

Q: Why is it taking you so long to fix a few bugs? Are you a bad coder or something?
A: No, I'm being meticulous. No known bugs only means no bugs have been found since the last bug squashing cycle. I need to be extremely sure everything works exactly as it should. Believe it or not, this is actually a faster method of development. You see, when all of the known bugs are fixed, new features take less time to develop because there's less having to go back and fix previous code. It's called "Zero Defects Methodology" or "Always Shippable"

Q: So when's the next feature going to be released?
A: Soon, I hope. Help me test it and the next feature will come out a lot sooner. After the current bug squashing cycle (the undo system), terrain editing is planned.

Q: Who needs polish?
A: I do.

Q: But I want a full featured editor now
A: That's not a question, but for the sake of civility, there's plenty of editors out there suffering from feature creep. Noone's stopping you from using those.

Q: Lots of shiny feature now, fix later
A: Lots of booze now, hangover later.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 01:39
How about some screen shots before we download

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 01:44
Sure, give me a few minutes to create a simple scene and i'll post screenshots. I just fixed a bug that was causing prim copying to not copy texture settings (although it's only copying texture stage0)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 01:55 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 01:14
Ok, here's a screenshot:

(EDIT)Removed this older screenshot in favor of the above screenshot inorder to save on peoples' bandwidth(/EDIT)

And I just replaced the download with one that lets you copy prims other than boxes. By the way, the interface is inspired by Second Life's primitive based interface. Although no where near as good at torturing primitives (all CLE has is an SL style texture scale/offset and resizing of prims).

Ben Johnson
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice looking interface, I've been waiting around for a good level editor I can use for my game. It might be idea to allow some kind of 'special' objects to be placed for things such as triggers, so peoples games can read them out and recreate them just like the rest of the level, I have noticed a few level editors but non that allow for this and this is quite essential for alot of games since you may wanting to be placing trigger zones and such.

Ben
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 02:11 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 03:50
Well, eventually yes, it'll have triggers zones. A trigger zone will basically be done with an invisible box primitive with a special flag and the trigger number (or name, haven't decided which to use yet).

I intend on putting in DarkPhysics and DarkLights support as well. Although those will of course be optional incase you don't have it. Everything'll be open source with only one stipulation in the license, that I get appropriate credit.

Since all known bugs have been squashed and the interface is no longer cryptic, I'm going to add mesh loading and maybe the ability to actually load and save the scene tomarrow.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 20:53 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 01:13
I just got saving in (have to do loading next) and also put in the ability to toggle whether or not an object is full bright... yay sky spheres and stuffs...

Anyway, here's a new screenshot, again with a simple prim tree...

(EDIT) Moved the screenshot to the original post and added a feature list(/EDIT)

As for saving, the scene in question outputs an ini type file. the scene in the screenshot above reads like this... I've replaced the square brackets with squirrelly brackets when pasting because the forums use squares.

As soon as I finish getting the scene loading in and squash the bugs, I'll post the latest binary AND source... but the project's by no means over at that point

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 23:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2008 23:14
Groovy! Now I've changed the download on the original post to have the latest version plus source code.

Saving and loading is now in, and it loads non-system textures textures with mipmapping.

The only problem I'm running into right now is that with really large prims, they seem to be disappearing if their center isn't visible.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I'm thinking it might be related to how I'm using the scale object command. Like it's basically doing the culling based on the object's original size rather than what it's been scaled to.

Anyway, please give it a try, let me know what you think.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 23:26
Yup, I had this same problem with that.

What I actually did, was create an huge cube around it, which caused the camera to be forced to draw the object even when not on the screen.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 00:24
Just posted a fix to the problem with objects culling... I used Lost In Thought's fixObjectScale() function. Don't worry, it waits till you've finished resizing before it actually applies that, so the slowness of that function doesn't really impact the performance of the editor.

The fix is in the download on the original post (why waste the forum's drive space?)

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 00:50
Quote: "Just posted a fix to the problem with objects culling... I used Lost In Thought's fixObjectScale() function. Don't worry, it waits till you've finished resizing before it actually applies that, so the slowness of that function doesn't really impact the performance of the editor."

Using "set object radius ObjectNum,-1" should work.

I'm Pro grammer.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 00:53
Quote: "Using "set object radius ObjectNum,-1" should work.
"

Correct me of I'm wrong, -1 makes it so that the object won't cull at all right? Anyway, I like the method I'm using now because it'll likely have much better results with physics, collisions, etc.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 05:17
Quote: "Correct me of I'm wrong, -1 makes it so that the object won't cull at all right?"

Your correct.

I'm Pro grammer.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 06:35 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 06:50
Yeah, that's not suitable for my purposes... The method I have now still allows them to cull, and all the bounding boxes get set properly

Anyway the above post has some issues that cropped up as a result of the fix... So I'm fixing those, and the bug squash is almost done... Then it's off to implementing models...

(edit)
Just replaced the download with the fixed version... Now resizing objects works like before while also fixing the culling problem for good. Source is of course included.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 14:39
i'm gonna watch this thread, it looks interesting.

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 19:40
Glad someone's voicing interest

Well, I've got models working, but it's offsetting the edit boxes far too far away from the model for my tastes... Is there any way to more accurately offset them? Basically, like with "New Statue" from the old DB models that are included with the CD, the edit boxes end up being behind the model... Also, it seems everything has to be rotated -90 to get it to go upright. Anyway, here's proof i've got models working... I just need to offset the edit boxes better... And I am setting up the edit boxes as limbs by the way.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 00:14
Hey thats pretty nice ^^
Keep it up!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 11:39
Just posted an update. Model support is now in place. It even compensates for the majority (won't say 100% even though 100% of my models were compensated for) of cases where the model has it's origin out in Timbuktu.

Now begins another bugtest cycle.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 21:24
Finished the current bug test cycle. I dare you guys to break the editor. I DARE YOU! Double... no TRIPLE dog dare you to break it!

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 01:33
YAY! Just made some MAJOR improvements to the interface.

Changes new to 0.01.9.5

*The interface now highlights the object that's selected

*New movement arrows and rotation rings.
Now you can much more easily tell what function you're going to perform witht he mouse

*Control has been changed to rotate.

*Control+Shift now resizes

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 08:59
Posted a video of the latest version (v0.01.9.7) on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZdlEEjALU

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 09:45
I love it! Keep up the awesome work Lucy!

This will help immensely for testing my models for textures and such, thanks!

Jim

Intel Pentium 4 3.40 Ghz HT, 1.5 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 6800, 19" Dell CRT Monitor ... I need to upgrade ^-^
sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
The zip archive seems to be broken ?

AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 / 3 GH Ram / Geforce 8800 GTS-640MB / WinXP Home SP2 / Vista 64bit
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 12:09
I'll reupload it... but if it's still broken try
http://fnord.kahlan.org/CherokeeLevelEditor-v0.01.9.7-src.zip

sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
This works, thank you

AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 / 3 GH Ram / Geforce 8800 GTS-640MB / WinXP Home SP2 / Vista 64bit
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 13:11
Let me know what you think and if you find any bugs... already have one bug that was reported to me today that'll get fixed first thing tomarrow when i wake up: objects are fullbright when loaded from a .cle scene definition file

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 00:54
Now with hidey windows... That should clear up the common complaint of screen clutter. When the program starts, there's now only two windows visible. the primitive toolbar and the render window. The other windows can be had by going to the View menu. All windows will now close when you press the close button.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 05:50
On this post, I've added a highly experimental undo system.

To be perfectly honest, I've never done an undo system before in my life... nearly 30 years of programming (only about 1 year of that spent on DBPro) and i've NEVER done an undo system... And I've never even looked into how to do an undo system before as I've never had a need for undo...

Anyway, undo is something that's been requested multiple times, and so here it is. v0.01.9.9

This is highly experimental. If the undo system breaks, please let me know what you were doing and the error that happened when you were doing it. Or if it doesn't crash just does something unexpected, then see if you can replicate the bug and then let me know what you were trying to do, what you expected to happen, and what really did happen.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 09:45
hey, looking good. the one thing i would suggest from watching the video is a way of sacling all axis at the same time so that you can change the size but keep ratios. sorry if that is included but i didn't see it.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 10:43 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2008 10:47
Quote: "change the size but keep ratios"

That's already planned for one of the interface updates... just I'm in a big bug squashing cycle right now.

The way that will work is white edit boxes on each of the bounding box's corners. White to signify all axes, where as red is X, green is Y, and blue is Z.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 23:25 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 23:26
Need some serious testing on the undo system folks. I just squashed the only reported bug with it so far. 0.01.9.11 has a bug squash regarding undoing after objects get cloned by shift dragging.

Please test the hell out of the undo system and report any replicatable bugs.

Please, I'm trying to Versual proof the editor so everyone can use it right after unarchiving it. Thank you for helping me help you help us all.

If you find bugs, I need to know 1: step by step how to reproduce the bug in the undo system
2: what happens to the "count" in the debug readout on the upper left corner when the bug occurs. Normal behavior is count reduces by 1 with each CTRL+Z press.
3: any line numbers that pop up if the bug caused a crash
4: the version of CLE you were using

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 00:09
That looks great. I reccomend some sort of GUI. Maybe toolbars, and Menu Items.

Take a look at my world editor. It is called Vector3, and is far from being completed. There is a download for it, though. The thread is:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=125834&b=8

Vector3 3D World Creator - By Luke Escude
http://www.lujogames.com/luke/vector3/vector3.html
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 01:39
Quote: "I reccomend some sort of GUI."

If all you saw was the video, then you only saw half the program. There is a gui. The video just shows the 3d render portion.

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 03:22
Oh, yes I know. I downloaded the source and compiled and ran it- It looks great.

The small toolbar with the objects is convenient, i guess. But it would be great if all the GUI components were in the main window. Also, moving an object is a little hard. You need to move the cursor over the axis of desired movement path. I don't know how there would be a better way, though.

Keep up the good work. Your small editor actually has about the same amount of code as my Vector3...

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 05:33
30 years coding? Got me by 4 years... who would have known - LOL

Editor is looking neat Lucy.

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
30 years of coding? how old are you then Lucy? :p
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 00:53 Edited at: 27th Mar 2008 00:58
Quote: "30 years of coding? how old are you then Lucy? :p"

Well, I was born on the same year that Jimi Hendrix died and I had an Atari2600 the year it came out. Still have my Atari 2600 too, and it still works...

I may have been coding for 30 years but my experience in games is limited to designing t tapletop RPGs, programming MUDs, making a clone of Tron2.0's gladiatorial discs multiplayer game in Second Life, and a Megaball4 clone in Dark Basic Pro. So yeah, most people here have major seniority over me on video games...

And I'm trying to get Dark Lights working but it keeps mangling the geometery.

Here's what Dark Lights is doing to my precious pinetree.cle

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 01:21
Quote: "Well, I was born on the same year that Jimi Hendrix died and I had an Atari2600 the year it came out. Still have my Atari 2600 too, and it still works..."

hmmm - I was born in 71, so that makes you a year older than me, I've been coding about 26 years - and I started coding at 10 years old - which means - you had to have started programming when you were around 7 years old ... is that right?

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 03:16 Edited at: 27th Mar 2008 05:13
Never mind

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 03:25
Quote: "Actually, I am now ** years old, about to turn ** in July"

Please edit that. Itz in da AUP!

I'm Pro grammer.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 06:31 Edited at: 27th Mar 2008 06:32
Quote: "you had to have started programming when you were around 7 years old ... is that right?"

Not 30 years, nearly 30... i was about 8 or 9 when i started... Was on a Commodore PET... Although my first programs were, to be perfectly honest, quite retardedly simple. I didn't really get the hang of programming till the mid 80s. Didn't start doing it professionally until the early 90s.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 08:19
Anyway, I've finally got Dark Lights working, but there's some issues. Namely, I have to convert everything to FVF prior to it running through the lightmapping routine. If you run the lightmap routine again, it converts the FVF objects to FVF, thus resulting in corruption again.

Here's a screenshot of the first successful light mapping in CLE.

Until I stabilize it and squash a few more bugs, I'll make a release with light mapping.

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 01:42
Yes! You have a toolbar with menus! That will make things so much easier. What GUI plugin did you use?

luke escude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 03:48
Earlier, you said that Dark Lights was destroying your tree... That is happening to me in my editor, so how did you fix it?

Viter
Years of Service
User Offline
This is maybe a noob question. but how do you include this in your games?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:37