Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D Game problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 00:00
I am relatively new to DBPro and have, what you would call, an "noob" question.

I have adapted a Vocabulary Quiz program from TRS80 basic (shows my age, huh?) to DBPro. I load an image and place text over it. The problem is: The text is located at the graphics cursor (which is not really the problem) but when I try to erase the text with spaces or replace with other characters, the original text still exists with all the other text overlayed on it. It's as though all of the text is displaying in layers and all the layers are visible, making the final result a jumbled mess.

Does this sound unusual or am I doing something wrong?

Part 2:

Does DBPro have a limit on string space? I have a list of 15,499 words and meanings in data statements but I can only get just over 10,000 to be accepted. (compiling stops with no errors - reduced the 15,000 to 10,700 in stages to find out how many statements could be read successfully) Can the string space be defined?

Well, that's about it for now. I suppose there will be more to come.

Regards

John B.

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 02:02 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 02:02
Problem 1:

SET BACKDROP ON will resolve any issues with the background. Using Cloggy's D3D text will be even better in all respects - quality, problem resolution etc. Look in Program Announcements for his D3D plugin.

Problem 2:
Data statements is probably not the best way to do this. That's probably a throwback to your TRS80 days (I started on a Dragon 32, essentially the same machine!). You would be better looking at ways to import your phrases from data files (text files may be as good as anything) into arrays or memblocks. If your game allows you to load a subset of data, that would be even more efficient.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:23:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:23:27