Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Will winXP work with a pentium2?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 17:04
I'm thinking of getting windows XP but I heard you need atleast a pentium 3. Is this true cuase i am on a p2.

thanks
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 17:23
It will work, just don't expect miracles.

Get yourself a LOAD of RAM.

The truth is, if you want the best NT-based OS for a system below 1 GHz, run 2000 Pro.

2000 Pro will run nicely on 166 MHz p1 with 64 Mb RAM. Probably should be run with 128 Mb RAM.

XP really shouldn't be run on anything less than 350 MHz p2 with 128 MB RAM. Even then, the more powerful, the better. Especially the RAM -- get as much RAM as you can into the machine.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 17:44
it eats RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM

lol

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 18:07
Hehe, just ripped XP Home out of a brand new Compaq at work, and installed 98se. When I reinstall my home PC, it'll be with 2000. Sorry but I detest XP - I'd rather use Windows 95, and I do!. I have 2 main machines at work, an old P2 400 with windows 95, and a 1.3ghz XP machine, the XP machines basically sits there waiting for me to design icons on it or print stickers!, other than that it's crud - can't even connect to an NT network properly, gotta spend an extra £100 on XP Pro for that luxury (that every previous version of windows had).

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 18:18
i have WindowsXP on 2 older machines ... Cyrix 6x86 200mx and a Intel Pentium2 300Mhz - both run just as fast as it does on my everyday use system. Of course if you wants extreme resolutions and all the special effects that accompany it you'll want a good gfx card too.

As for Ram needs, i find the MORE Ram you give XP the slower it runs.
My P2-300 only has 128Mb Ram and everything runs quite smoothly & quickly, this machine has 1Gb of Ram and every so often i have to reboot because it starts clogging up and the desktop stops refreshing properly.

most people who say anything otherwise quite frankly are people who don't even know what a low spec PC is ... they think that anything under 800Mhz is something anceint and not used anymore.
Perhaps my P2 can't push Unreal2 graphics or anything like that, but it run Black&White - Quake3 - JK2 etc... at a decent enough speed.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 18:38
hey thanks everyone, raven, if it works on ur p2 then it should work on mine cause. i'm abit sick of win 98. Well i dunno ill think about, probably will get it.

thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:43:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:43:38