Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / screen invalid ()

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 19:13
hey there ... I was told that in order to prevent the all-so-common bug, where the game would crash after an Alt-Tab, I had to check for SCREEN INVALID () because I can't afford to load everything back up .... anyway, here's what I do:
in my main DO - LOOP I have this at the very beginning of the loop: if screen invalid()=1 then end .... so I guess it should exit the game after returning from an Alt-Tab but instead, it exits the game as soon as it enters the loop any idea what to do ??? thanks

Could you help me treat my injured Dino-Fly ?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 19:28
Yes, the display isn't fully set up until you've called SYNC a few times. Just put 2 SYNC commands immediately after your SYNC ON (or at the top of your program otherwise) and that will do the job for you.

Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 21:55
hmm when u said to call SYNC 2 times, is 2 a precise minimal value or you just think it will work ?? I'm asking cause I want to figure out when exactly does the engine recognize the program as fully set up thanks

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 23:12
That's a new one - it used to work, but doesn't any more. Thanks for the heads-up.

You don't actually need any SYNC to check, you just need to call the SCREEN INVALID function once before checking it for real.

Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 23:27
ahhh cool it's nice to see that after you're fair good with a language, you come and stumble upon small things such as these, which have no logic in the end ... nobody could have thought of it ... it's just a little, yet big thing u have to discover every language I've used in the past had this problems ... thanks a lot guys !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:18