Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Runge Kutta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 19:42 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 15:29
Runge kutta is a simple concept. You control a mystical orb that has captured a passing star in it's gravity field.

You must move the orb around and sling shot the star through the nearby asteroids. To get a decent high score you have to hit the asteroids in quick succession and build a decent multiplyer. The closer your gravity field is to breaking as you smash an asteroid the greater your score.

Screenshot:

Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaPuPouEfbM

There is a hidden multiplyer that increases each time you hit an asteroid with your field stretched between 98 and 99.5 percent.

Over-stretching the gravity field causes it to weaken and becomes shorter. If you stretch it too much it will break and your star will fly off out of control and end the game.

Let me know how it runs on your system. Hopefully everyone will get 60fps or so. Any feedback is welcome and good suggestions for the final games name are welcome. Currently it's named after the maths method I use for the spring physics.

(To check fps open the console with the key just below esc and type fps,1)

Beta v0.1
http://www.nswgaming.com/kyuzumaki/runge-kutta-betav0.1.7z
(compressed with 7-zip download from http://www.7-zip.org/

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 20:17
re: video...

WOW. Game concept seems simple yet addictive, and I like the light trail on teh star. Hurry and get the upload working!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 20:22
This looks amazing.

You should definitely get some crazy trance music to go along with this, along with a bunch of awesome sound effects, power ups, and visual effects.

Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2008 23:41 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 16:59
uploaded successfully enjoy!!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 00:08 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 00:09
the menu options don't show up for me. it looks like you're using a fancy shader on the menu? my older video card can't handle it (see sig for system specs).

i was able to locate the start button and play; pretty cool. also, i used your console system, which is slick, and was pulling ~ 50 FPS when in console mode but it would be nice if the FPS was displayed during real game play to get a real idea of performance.

also, i suspect shader issue during game play for me as the asteroids don't look the same as your screenshot. the game is fun, tho and i'll still be playing it but how about some shader options?

here's what i'm seeing on menu and during game:

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 01:15 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 01:53
thanks for the feedback! Yeah there is a shader on the buttons, asteroids, and, the magical sphere. I will have to revamp my menu to allow for shader settings in the next update.

I just noticed in your screenshot the multiplier reset timer looks massive? (number below 2x on the screenshot) It's supposed to max out at 60 does the number count down very rapidly?

You can show the fps without the console up. open the console and type staticfps it should show the fps meter all the time

Heres a list of the bugs i already know about

Known bugs:

Changing the resolution fails to reload textures for the level correctly
Ranking page display not centered
Ranking name entry displays off screen at low res
Score rating page has been hacked out
No shader options

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 05:21 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 05:22
yeah, it counts down. the last digit ~ 1/10th second. next to last digits counts down ~ 1/second. 2nd from last ~ 1/minute...

ingame fps 49/50 FPS consistant.

i gave it a go and it's pretty fun, and already a bit addictive. nice, unique game you've got here. reminds me of God Of War, but in space

Virtual Nomad
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 14:27
And with flair, style and elegance, I, as in trance, cut through the hordes of minions bent on my destruction.

That pretty much describes it .

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 12:45 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 16:58
Uploaded v0.1 Beta

Changes:
Removed ingame options menu
Made Launcher App
Added shader options via launcher
Added wide sceen resolutions via launcher

I would appreciate any music or SFX donations if people have suitable stuff lying around!

@Digital Nomad
The timer appears to bo counting down correctly but somehow is going past the maximum value it should. I tried altering the code that does the calculation in this version so let me know if the timer behaves diferently. It should max out at 60 and count down as before.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 19:19
Well now, that was fun! Very cool stuff

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 22:10
hmm, i'd liketo download it, but in firefox it leads me to a site full with tousands of lines of nonsense text and number salad. maybe you try to upload it as normal zip or rar file, 7zip is not that usual round here. btw, looks cool, nice idea!

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 22:29 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 22:29
If you right click on the link, "Save Link As..." Solves the issue.

The game looks brilliant! I shall give it a whirl later.

Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 23:14 Edited at: 5th Apr 2008 23:20
I figured since the 7-zip download is ~800kb and using it reduces the download by 2MB so even if you have to get 7zip it reduced the total download.

You should try it out
http://www.7-zip.org/

It's very handy because it can decompress almost any file format and the 7z compressor is significantly better than zip and rar

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 16:58 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 17:18
thx, i already got 7zip since a longer time. BiggAdd's tip solved the prob, thx dude!

edit: wow, thats a lot of fun! a very stable foundation, but there could be a lot more to keep the fun high!
look at this as an advice:
What about moving targets? like spaceships or meteorites that attack the players ball thing? and a explosion efect for the planets.
and at last scroll the texture of your background, it adds a lot more depth to the game optics. make a second layer with only stars and move it even faster, like the backgrounds in old 2d plattformers, if you get what i mean. parallax scrolling or what ever they're called.
and make different planets, it adds some diversity, what is always a good thing. maybe smaller ones which may give more points. and stuff like extras...

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 23:33
Great game !
This is the kind of game I could play for hours. It was a bit hard on the beginning but now I can manage to get 250,000 points.

Hummanoid Typhoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 11:24 Edited at: 10th Apr 2008 11:26
Glad you like it! I've been playing it throughout development so objective testing of the difficulty is quite hard. I had to intensionally break the grav field to make the youtube video shorter

Thanks for the feedback Green7! I was planning to improve the look of the background. I like the ship idea and changing planet size the project is now on hold but once I have free time I'll be adding those features

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 07:54
HT,

i just downloaded latest version and everything looks good. thanks for the no-shader option! also, the timer seems normal now, if "normal" means it starts at ~ 26 seconds and counts down. and, i was holding a consistant 60 FPS throughout (up 10 FPS from the last version for me, so nice ).

keep up the good work!

Virtual Nomad

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:19:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:19:13