Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / text RPG layout

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
need more help with my text based rpg,

im trying to get the layout of the page, with a inventory box, text box, box to show the image of where you are in the map and battle scenes (pic included of how i want it)
but how would i do this?
would i just use squares or what?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 23:02
looks like you need to read up on bitmap drawing and get image and texturing to plains.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 23:24 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 23:25
can i find any of that on this site, shall i just put in the search bar bitmap drawing?

*edit* i search bitmap drawing on this site, only to find 1 useless post.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 23:33
From the looks of it what you want to search for is "GUI".

Making a good user interface can take a log of commands, but what you are after is not to terribly difficult. Read the posts about GUIs and that should get you going in the right direction.

dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
will i have to buy a new program for doing this? becuase i have seen ( i think) people talking about dark GUI or something
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 23:40
There's a thread right at the top of this forum full of tutorials - the best structured one in there is TDK's list, and once you get to tutorial 16 (don't worry, they're all small tutorials), you'll be doing this menu stuff in your sleep.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 23:47
You don't have to.

One example is I've made a GUI by having an artist create an image for me that has black set as the transparency color of the image. Then I load that image and during each loop of my program I paste the image on screen in the right position.

The areas like the speed, shield, and hull meters and the display screen on the other side will have their own images pasted there to display their data in the game.

The layout that you want for your interface really doesn't look that difficult, and you could create it easily enough with a decent paint program.

Once you have that you just,

LOAD IMAGE "Media\GUI1.png", 1

and in your main loop just,

PASTE IMAGE 1, 0, 0, 1

It's really not all that hard to create the user interface. The hard part is being artistic enough to get the image you are using to look right.

dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
@IanM i will definitely read some of them tuts to get a better understanding.

@KISTech, i was thinking about doing that in fireworks or photoshop, but i can never seem to position my text properly, it will take me ages just to find where it needs to go and i will be doing random guesses becuase i have no idea on positioning.

anyway, thanks for all your help
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 19:21
@dan958:
Well, you can make a code that will check for key presses, like the arrowkeys, and when you press the down key the text will move down. Then you print the X and Y values on the screen, remember them and go on with the next text

Jeff

You're the 'th to view this signature!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 19:34
..and don't forget to make it all relative to the user's current screen resolution..

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 02:12 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 02:23
Techlord's 30 min GUI

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:20:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:20:23