Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / object glow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello all ,
I want to make a few sphere with an glow effect around them i tried to make an ghost sphere over them but not working ... i try to make a texture that wold do the glow effect for me ... but not worked (maybe i don't do it right)
plz try to help me with this duds
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 20:17
If you do a search for the Ultimate Shader Pack I think there is a pixel shader in there that applys a glow effect to objects.

But, if you don't want to use shaders you could create an alpha mapped texture with a circle in the middle which fades out, then position this at the centre of the sphere and point it at the camera every loop.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the simplest way to achive a realistic glow is using shaders.

look in the tutorials that came with DarkGDK under "Advanced Shaders" there is the answer to what you are looking for... a glowing sphere!
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 21:44
bjadams,

That is a fullscreen bloom effect, and thus affects all objects in the scene. And setting the bloom effect to a high level to produce a decent glowing effect would look terrible applied to an entire scene.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 09:05 Edited at: 4th Apr 2008 09:06
@Zappy
Make a plain object, about twice the width, and twice the height of the sphere, and ghost it. Every loop position it at the sphere's position, and point it towards the camera. With a good texture, it should look good.
The texture should be a solid coloured circle in the centre, and fade to black as you go out.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 04:46
It was explained to me that darkGDK and DBO take ALL shader stuff - and run it through the Fixed Pipeline (which is more or less a shader these days) this more or less makes shaders less effiecnt than if you did them natively in DirectX.

The point of this rant is that whenever you can "not use" a shader and acheive the desired results - for me - this is the correct approach. shaders imho should be reserved for those places in the program where you can get the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.

Additionally - I also think that if you want to have shaders everywhere - there should be options in your end game to toggle certain ones for performance reasons - as performance will vary pc to pc.

(Try the plane billboarding trick first, shaders second)

zappy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello guys thx for help ... i have made it ... I made a texture in photoshop with transparency and i added on a plan that i rotate real-time to the camera , i set some alphaMapping too to have some nice effect

Can i add some blur on it from dark ? or something that will give impression of smooth i think AntiAlias maybe ...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zappy
Years of Service
User Offline
I attached the picture in the upper post
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 12:46
If you are talking about blurring the bitmaps, you can use

void dbBlurBitmap ( int iBitmap, int iBlur )

Although I'd rather had them pre-blurred at photoshop.

Apart from that, there is a tutorial about this at TGC's Newsletter 63.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 01:31:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 01:31:45