Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / animation freezing or not showing up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am tring to add an animation to my program by using the "play animation to image" command and sometimes the animation will not start the first time it is called (the program just seems to go past the command without doing it because other commands after that command are executed.

Sometimes the animation also freezes up before it reaches the end. The sound continues but the picture stops playing. This happens about once in 25 showings.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

Jason
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 04:41
my experience is limited but some things to consider are:

1) delete all previous animations before playing the next one. the more you have loaded and on the ready, the worse performance will be. generally, each time you load an anim (while keeping previous ones) you'll cut your fps performance by about 1/2, or worse). i've experienced the same "sound continues but the picture stops " issues and this helped.

2) i dunno how big your anims are but make sure you anim is fully loaded before trying to play it. generally, call the load anim command, wait a second (1000ms), then play it. don't depend on a "if animation exist" check to know if it's loaded up and ready to play; give it time to full load and set itself to play.

3) flushing video memory may help.

you'll find DBPro's support of animations is seriously lacking for the potential it has. it's probably best used for cut-scenes, etc, where timing isn't crucial. playing to image (and/or texturing objects with them) is nice but if your animation is anything but small, it'll cause grief.

you probably can achieve whatever your desired results are, within reason, but they can be very finicky and require a lot of attention.

if you have some video examples you can share and some code you're working with, you're more likely to get better advice on the issue.

good luck

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Jcoggins
Years of Service
User Offline
I have also discovered that sometimes it takes awhile for an animation to load. Is there any way of displaying something that says "loading" until the animation starts playing and then removing the "loading" sign?

Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:15:22