Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My New Site

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 05:55 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2003 05:58
After my old site, which sucked, I made this new one.
Not much there, but I just couldn't wait to show off the new design. Tell me what you think.

http://www.freewebs.com/andrew11/

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
eightfoot514
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 06:23
dude nice layout. the frames are big enough to serve their purpose, but small enough not to annoy you. my many site attempts fall short of that...well done!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 01:40
Thank's! No one else?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 03:55
Alrighty... I made you a new lil logo thingy andrew... tell me if you like it... =P I can always make a better one... Flash style...
... heres the adress... http://www.puffinteractive.com/rotbarb.swf
and if you don't know what code to place on the website... here ya go...

Oh and where it says value="file:///C| etc..." replace that with where you have it on your website... so http://www.freewebs.com/andrew11/rotbarb.swf

O_O If you don't like it I can always change it...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 03:57
(right now it looks huge because thats the direct link with no size settings... thats what the code does... plus provides a link to flash if they don't have flash player....)

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 04:10 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 04:33
OMG..
That's amazing. Blows mine away. Thanks alot! What a generous person you are.

I'll see if I can get it on there.

P.S what do you use to make flash animations? I am new at 2D and web design. Maybe I can learn to make my own. I was very proud of mine old one because I just learned how to use image ready and make gif's the other day. lol Thank's again.

Ok. Got it on. It's just a bit. um.. long. Whatever, I'd even be happy with it this way. Thanks

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 05:55
=P I can do anything to it... You just ask... o_O If you want I could make you a new template for your site... here... how do you like this one... it only says welcome when they put there mouse over it... ...

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 06:16 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 06:28
No puff, that's really okay... lol I think I like my own site for now. I'd rather learn to do it myself. For now, I'll just use your banner. Do you think you can move the text more to the left a bit though? Thanks

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 06:41
Hey Puffy, I made my own flash animation. It's not much, (I don't know what it is!) but it's my first attempt.

http://www.freewebs.com/andrew11/flashtest/test.html

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 07:15 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 07:45
Andrew did you take a look??? http://www.puffinteractive.com/rotbarb.swf o_O... or do you like the continuious one... = I'll move it over real quick... ok I moved it over and... for fun added some shadows and a lil shading effect... o_O hows it look now...

eightfoot514
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 07:27
hows the chess game coming? i look forward to seeing that in action...looks great!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 07:47
Oh yes that globe is my creation too... o_O yours was kinda odd so I used a bumpmap and an eviroment map on a bubble effect... looks pretty spiffy huh... you can see it again at http://www.puffinteractive.com/forums... my new forums ^_^ heh...

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
No offense, I don't like the layout at all.

Reasons:
#1 - Frames. Big no no.
#2 - Big fat borders. Big OTHER no no.
#3 - No thin borders on menu in frame, doesnt' look good.
#4 - Flash animation that *trys* to connect to main page looks like some n00bs work. It always looks bad when that happens, and color overlaps something else.
#5 - Bad font. Use tahoma/verdana.
#6 - Big fat counter. Gee, just code your own if you care so much about hits. lol..
#7 - Umm..this place inntentionally left blank? lol..

Plusses:
#1 - Nice hover thingies on menus.
#2 - Actual content. Woah.
#3 - Nice screenshots!

Oh well, I guess thats what I have to say when somebody posts a website up for review ^_^!

Oh yeah, whens the chess game gonna be in at least betah! I Want it! It looks nice!

~Morph/Kanzure
eightfoot514
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 09:32 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 09:45
with all due respect morph, i disagree with some of your criticism, though constructive...but that's why we have our own opinions

i like the site and its layout
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 11:09
Frames :-s haha.

I used frames on my first site too, cause they seem to be the best casue you can keep the nevigation updated quick and easy.

Then i went to SSI's which were more seamless.

And now all i do is PHP work so its <? include("navigation.php"); ?> all the way now

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 11:42 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 11:45
o_O Oh so my flash is somes n00bs work... I like my flash... did you take a look at my newest one??? http://www.puffinteractive.com/rotbarb.swf o_O... infact... my whole website is flash... (even though its become too big to load all at once... I need to break it up into lil files... I think I might even make a new design this summer... after I finish all of my jobs...)

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 12:00
haha, www.southeastcreations.com that intro is not newbi ish, although the rest of the site is.

Web website Wednessday, FINGERS TOES EYES ETC CROSSED

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 12:40 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 12:52
The site (Andrews) is not too bad, the menu shouldn't have a scroll bar, why not make the entrys smaller or have a drop down? The flash is ok, but I can understand why someone would say ammateurish, its kinda flashturbation (No offense puffy, its pwetty, but not really necessary)

Puffy: Your main site is very nice to look at and play with as I've said b4, but try not to OD on the flash m8, it takes ages to load

Martyn - I know you didn't make that flash but I'll comment anyway - its very nice to look at BUT If you're like me, when a website flash says its loading, I flick to other websites while I wait for it, then your flash is over so quickly that when I flick back to see if its loaded, its finished! Also I've said before that I really like your site but feel the intro is uneccessary, and kinda annoying cos it slows down an otherwise fast and clear site Why not include the flash in an optional pop-up presentation? That would fit the purpose perfectly, because if you are in the mood for watching such a thing, its excellent Just my 2cents tho no offense or harm intended

Andrew11 : I was looking in your code section and your two 20line examples are very nice Good work, well done!

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 13:59 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 14:00
Quote: "Puffy: Your main site is very nice to look at and play with as I've said b4, but try not to OD on the flash m8, it takes ages to load"

o_O Its not overdone... I'm going to make a new one after I get these damned projects finished... PHP style... make a better looking site... HAHA... = Oh yes... as I said above... "(even though its become too big to load all at once... I need to break it up into lil files... I think I might even make a new design this summer... after I finish all of my jobs...)" ^_^ It used to take a very short time to load... but now its taking longer... and longer... I'll probably break it up into small flash files soon... o_O Every time you goto a new section you load it... should take away from the wait... = and I haven't overdone anything... it looks good... thats all that matters...

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 14:31
Hehe thanks Kangaroo2

we got the flash intro done to test out a contractor (which we subsiquently saked, the twat was also contracting to other companys against the written agreement they signed.)

The new site is looking very nice, MSN me for a sneak preview

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 15:45
o_O Oh I will... ^_^ You can msg me if you guys want a sneak preview of my Standard Window DLL... =\ I'm just having problems returning data right now (runtime problems... so slowwwww...)

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:23 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 18:25
Thank's for the comments all. I'm not quite sure what you mean Morph.

"#1 - Frames. Big no no.
#2 - Big fat borders. Big OTHER no no.
#3 - No thin borders on menu in frame, doesnt' look good.
#6 - Big fat counter. Gee, just code your own if you care so much about hits. lol.."

What resolution are you using? It looks perfect size on mine 800*600.

"#4 - Flash animation that *trys* to connect to main page looks like some n00bs work. It always looks bad when that happens, and color overlaps something else."
What? It dosen't try to connect to anything. Explain.

#5 - Bad font. Use tahoma/verdana.
I quite like Times New Roman myself, but I will think about it.

#7 - Umm..this place inntentionally left blank? lol..
What place?

Thanks for the compliments though.

Also, I used frames because I thought it would be easier to do than put links on every page.

@Puffy:
I didn't see it before. I didn't relize that you edited your other message. I like the new one.

@Kangaroo2:
"The site (Andrews) is not too bad, the menu shouldn't have a scroll bar, why not make the entrys smaller or have a drop down?"
You mean a scroll bar on the bottom? A dropdown? I could make that. Let me see.
"The flash is ok, but I can understand why someone would say ammateurish, its kinda flashturbation (No offense puffy, its pwetty, but not really necessary)"
Do you think I should use puffy's or keep my old one?
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew11/frames/banner.htm

Thanks!

P.S. I have another problem. I turns out that Freewebs only allows 50 files, and I haven't even finished putting stuff on. I don't have money to buy one. Can anyone tell me about a better free webhost?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:28
You need to align the banner or table or whatever it is in the top frame to the left, when you're using higher resolutions like myself, the banner will move to the right and won't join up with the main frame. Other then that, looks nice.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:30 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 17:31
Oh I get it...

Oh and happy 4th of July, people in the US!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:34
Oh yeah, about the flash.

It's sort of out of the ordinary in Andrew's site but I wouldn't say it 'ruins it' lol.

Puffy's site is very nice although like it's been said before, takes a while to load (even for cable), hovering over the circling links also makes the whole thing slow to like 1 FPS because of that effect thing. lol.

Quote: "when a website flash says its loading, I flick to other websites while I wait for it, then your flash is over so quickly"

Agreed, the solution to this is to put a button that says "Play" when it's done loading.

Well that's my opinion.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 17:42
Also forgot to mention that you should set the table width on the mian page to 100% so it fills the whole screen for all resolutions (lower and higher).

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:17
PD?

The old banner is Ok, but when it flips, it should just be the text not the whole bar. I like Puffys, you can leave it there, personally though I would put in a javascript to check if the user has flash plugin installed, and if not then use the gif

Puff : Cool Like I said, it looks nice as it is, but cool, I'd like to see a new one too

Martyn : Hmm I really should start using MSN again

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 18:26
PD? lol I don't know what I was thinking. I was in a hurry. Sorry

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 19:36
Kangaroo2: i would post here, but then i would be bitten and kicked casue it is not finished

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:02
Quote: "Oh yeah, about the flash.

It's sort of out of the ordinary in Andrew's site but I wouldn't say it 'ruins it' lol.

Puffy's site is very nice although like it's been said before, takes a while to load (even for cable), hovering over the circling links also makes the whole thing slow to like 1 FPS because of that effect thing. lol.

Quote:

when a website flash says its loading, I flick to other websites while I wait for it, then your flash is over so quickly

Agreed, the solution to this is to put a button that says "Play" when it's done loading.

Well that's my opinion."

o_O Ack... that 1fps thing... its only a problem on slow computers... =\... and the thing about taking a while to load... It loads the website all at once... I'm cutting it up right now... so it will take a very short time to load... but you have to load each section when you go to it... eh... =\ makes for easy updating heh... but my new php sites every prettier to look at (if you can imagine that) and smaller...

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:12
I'm the first on Puffy's forum!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 01:37
=P Hes right...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 05:22 Edited at: 6th Jul 2003 05:24
Ok... I uploaded a new one... it has a preloader... = and I edited the picture so you can delete banner6 and banner7... its all built in... gave me more room for the globe... heh... the dimensions are 1037 by 140... http://www.puffinteractive.com/rotbarb.swf ... oh and could you make Puffy a link to my website hehe...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 05:27
ACK... I just realized I didn't leave room for your date script... hrmmm. is this ok??? =\ you can always move that text to your navigation on the bottom... maybe...

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 06:18
Looks great Puffy.

But don't go redesigning my whole site! I don't care much about the date. I didn't even write it. I can always move it.

But now I have to find a new host. This one is not letting me add more files.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 11:01
=\ ugh... can you spend a lil cash for a website???

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 18:52
hey andrew, i will put you in contact with somone who may be able to give you cheaper than cheap website.

Email me if you want it, then i will get it

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:34
How cheap is "cheaper than cheap"? I can't get money, because I'm not allowed get a job. And I don't have a way of paying because I don't have a credit card, and my mom won't let me use hers.
Thanks for the offer though. I'll have to think about it.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 22:41
freeee, although i need to talk to the server owner, he keeps turning it off

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 02:03
That's great. I'll email you...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 07:44
lol... Free is a good price... andrew get a .tk address while your at it... thats free too...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:55:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:55:24