Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / gba style game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 21:42 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 21:43
hi,

moved on from my text based rpg, it seemed to much trouble for something that wasnt that good and wouldn't get a good result.
ive now moved onto a 'gba' style rpg.
all i wanted to know was:

1) Do i need to buy any software to make the maps?, or can i make them directly into DBP.
When i say this, i mean can i make the tile in paint or photoshop and import it in?

2) Can i do the map code thing e.g. (i know this is using the wrong letters, but its just an example)

thanks
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 21:49
From what I've discovered in my quest for bigger better maps that are easy to create, and easy to handle within the app, Extended Terrain XYZ is really good and you can't beat the price. I've spent more than twice as much on a decent lunch.

Check it out here [href=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=113993&b=5][/href].

dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 21:56 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 21:56
hmmmm, from that link those maps are not exactly what i mean.

What i ment (and im sorry for the confusion) i am using pokemon as an example (i dont play it or anything XD)

hope that helps a little more
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
use mappy

http://tilemap.co.uk

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 22:33 Edited at: 8th Apr 2008 22:45
thanks, im now going to see if there is a tutorial on how to the basic things to get it set up

*edit*

After i made the map in mappy (or watever it's called)
Would i do the data map thing (shown in post 1)?
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 22:55
Use IanM's Matrix1Map dll, it's flawless. You just need to couple that with an array and maps, and it then all falls into place.

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.
dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
can i not make it in dbp without installing/buying any add-ons or anything?
Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
Probably but it would be easier to use the plugin. It's free anayway so there's no reason why not.

???
dan958
Years of Service
User Offline
i couldnt fimd the DLL you said, but is this the right one http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18?
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2) Can i do the map code thing e.g. (i know this is using the wrong letters, but its just an example)"

Yes you can do it exactly as you show it. Set each character (whether letter or number) to reflect a different tile (e.g. 1 for a fence panel, 2 for a path, 3 for a tree, w for water, etc, etc). You'll then need to create each of the tiles which you'd load in advance.

You could also use multiple characters to reflect additional things on a single tile, for example, 'READ tiletype, tilex, tiley, tilez, object_at_this_point' - in this case 5 sequential characters represent one tile position, height and type on your map. Note this would be very basic and very low resolution but these are adjustable depending how much data you want to represent on each tile and how the player interacts with it.

But, as Anonymous said it would be easier using a plugin or map creator/tilemap software.

Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 21:41
Using d3dfunc's isometric camera commands means you can use standard 3d to get the look you want.

Here is a very basic example using boxes but it should give you the rough idea.

Hope that helps. Of course going the true 2d route using Ianm's dll is good too.

Code requires v3.6+ of the dll of course.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 12:16:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 12:16:13