Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2d functionality of DBpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, my first post on these forums.

I've used DB for awhile, but I find it to be pretty slow at 2d even with my 2.4 ghz machine, and it doesn't seem to have all the functionality I would need. Code that will do the functions I need seems to be way too slow.

My game is a top down 2d RPG, I want to be able to do pallette swapping to create night/daytime effects and transitions and also for things like torch-light, etc..

Also would like to use semi-transparency on sprites for making shadows, etc...

Now I can do all of this with complicated pixel by pixel color interpreting, but this code is just way to slow for game use. I've even downloaded some code from underware design which does some of this, but it appears very slow too, probably using pixel by pixel methods. So, my question is, does DBpro give this functionality? And if not, would it be faster at doing pixel by pixel interpretation (or can it even do that since it's 3d based)?

Thanks,

-Dave
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 23:08
First, the bad news. There are no palettes in DBPro either.

Next, the good news. You can setup alpha effects in your sprites - use PNG or TGA format files and they'll do it for you. So easy shadows.

... And that gives me an idea for fading night/day - Have an sprite with a solid 1x1 black image and full alpha, stretch it to cover your play area using SIZE SPRITE, and then fade it out using SET SPRITE ALPHA. Use 0 for complete daylight, and higher values to get darker.

I haven't tried it, but it seems to me that it should work.
Motormann
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, Thanks for the info, how do you think the speed will be when using alpha blending affects? Also, how does DBPro's graphics in 2d look? I understand it's using polygons to render sprites, are the sprites as crisp as they would be in DB? Does DBpro handle bitmaps and scrolling backgrounds, or does it work by making 3d planes and mapping the background onto a large plane? I guess one more question then, if it works by mapping onto 3d polygons, could I handle day/night and local spot lights by using 3d lighting to light up the bitmap that is mapped onto the polygon, how about with sprites, do 3d lights affect those?

Lots of questions, sorry, but I'm debating on whether DBpro is going to be the way to go.

Thank you again for your insight.

-Dave

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 23:34
It's actually quite fast ... try it for yourself - it should work with the demo

Sprites are crisp, *if* you load the image correctly - which basically translates as adding an extra ,1 to the GET IMAGE and LOAD IMAGE commands.

Like in DB, you have to scroll backdrops yourself. You can do this by pasting images to the backdrop or copying from another bitmap, or by using a sprite, or ... there are lots of ways.

Sprites are not affected by lighting - for that you would actually have to implement the sprites yourself using plains.
Motormann
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, sounds good. I'll definitely check out the Demo, just wasn't sure how much the Demo might show, since it's a "lite" version of the language, and I see it isn't the latest version.

Sounds promising though, and again thanks for your help.

-Dave

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 23:47
It's a full version - just a little buggy, and expires after 30 days.
Dr Dri
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 00:09
I wrote my own color mod system, i added it in my Rotate Image function and it slow now, but i'll write it in a dll (or test it with DB Pro) to make it runs faster.

Dri

PS. it's easy

Pour des yeux déformés la vérité peut porter un visage grimaçant.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:35:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:35:31