Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Phenom Demo 1 - Now Available

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 04:05
OK here it is by request, the beta demo of Phenom.
Please view the readme.txt inside also

You'll need 7-zip to unpack
PHENOM DEMO 1

Features, videos, and screenshots are at my site HERE

There are a list of bugs, controls, and other important info in the readme.

Enjoy!

Phenom - FPS WIP
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 05:28
thanks man! downloading now!
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 05:48 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 05:49
xeridox:
I love this kind of deathmatch game, and let me start by saying, really great work! You have a lot of good stuff in there, looks like working net play even! Id be happy to play you if you need to test it.

Now for the criticism:
Bot AI - needs a lot of work. Even if its just to make them stop spazzing out so much. Add some interpolation code so that the bot has to turn at a certain maximum speed, instead of spinning in circles. How are you doing AI atm? I would suggest a waypoint system if you arent already doing this.

Physics - the player feels sluggish and heavy to control, but when I press jump he lunges forward.. It just feels weird.

Weapons - the pulse rifle is the only one I could use to any effect.. all the others are either two slow or its difficult to see if theyre doing any damage (particularly the rocket launcher). The bot also seemed to use the pulse rifle the most. The pulse rifle also feels a little dodgy.. I could be aiming 3 meters to the left of the bot, and still hear the damage 'ping' when I shoot.

Also, my frames drop by 20 for every bot in the game.. even just 1 bot leaves me running at 40-48fps..

So, yeah a lot of negative things I mentioned, but I still liked it. Im hoping to see that castle themed map in the next demo, and some better AI
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 06:09
Thanks guys,

Draknir, most of what you have said I already have either posted in the 'newest screenshot thread' or in the read-me, all except for the physics. Everything is time-based movement, and the jumping bug hasn't been fixed yet, but thank you for reminding me

I did have a problem with the player being 'heavy and sluggish' when I ran it earlier today, as he was walking really slow for some unknown reason, but restarting my computer helped with this.

Yes, bots are horrible right now on framerate, and the 'waypoint' or as I like to call it 'path network' is coming soon. These are all things I am working on right now, as I explained before, this is seriously still in beta stage

Here are some more images from the castle map. I am thinking of calling it 'Gothylvania' however I think I suck at naming maps, so if anyone has a better name, please post below

These were all taken inside the editor, still no lightmapping yet.

I'm going to try to release updates about once a week, probably on Fridays.

Phenom - FPS WIP
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 06:15 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 06:17
I had the same problems here. I also had to change the mouse sensitivity because it was set really high. My fps did the same thing i could run at 60+ fps without any bots but when there were any thing else my fps would drop to around 20-30. I tried running 7 bots and got only 5 fps. maybe you should try to optimize the bots more to make them more reliable and not so glitchy. They run so fast that they are almost impossible to shoot.

Hope you fix some of the problems. Still you have really good graphics and with some treaking could be really fun. Good Luck
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 12:31
I've only seen the short movie of this game before, now I took a look at the shots and the longer video as well. My laptop would fry if I could even run this game. Anyway, it looks really impressive for a DBP FPS game; most don't get this far. Some pointers though.

Get some weapon recoil working. This should be quite easy as you simply specify the recoil of each shot for the weapons and then make an algorithm that move the weapon accordingly, preferably with some random angle for some side movement. This would make the weapon feel more real.

Your maps are quite good looking but very flat. Work on the height, this always makes maps more fun to play. Have you thought about making mission based maps or perhaps single player? Multi player games don't really do so well unless they are in the class of Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Battlefield or Unreal Tournament. Since you seem to be working hard on AI, single player is not far away. Problems with 3D games are usually to either make good AI for single player or a good multi player experience.

[center]
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 13:11
Seems to work well. I get about 9fps with default settings. Didn't manage to kill anybody. Should probably try playing again at night because i couldn't see what was going on too well. Seems like a solid game though.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 00:14 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 17:53
Digital Awakening, some has changed since the videos, weapons do recoil and the hover-bots have been replaced with a stand-in human model for now.

Also, the only map in the videos is Crate_Arena, and it was meant to be a flat, 1 on 1 map.

Yes I know, bots eat fps for lunch. I did however specify that quite a bit of things are not working right yet.

If you're having problems with the player running slow, try restarting your comp, as I had this problem the other day. Your player should move about as fast as Quake 3.

Attached is a new video of DM-Halls_of_Death, for all those who haven't already played it. Just a tour around the map, no bots.
It's in Xvid format.

-EDIT- Video didn't upload or something, uploading to my website later

Phenom - FPS WIP
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 01:21 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 01:21
gave it a quick run and liked what i saw. was only able to achieve ~9 FPS with zero bots; 7 FPS with 2 (see sig for system specs).

hard to judge the feel of the game @ 9 fps but it did feel very solid. the map geometry was good (ie, no holes/tearing in the walls, etc, so quality there), textures, lighting and effects were nice. overall, very impressive for first demo release.

one issue did occur while playing/exploring a bit/collecting weapons: after gathering a few weapons, i started trying them out using the number keys (1-0) and when i got to zero, the game errored out. see attached.

i'm looking forward to performance optimization on this; you're off to a GREAT start, xeridox!

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:13
Hmmm that video I tried to attach earlier didn't work, I'll upload it later to my site.

As for the runtime error you got, thank you
<Bug added to elimination list>

Yeah I get about the same on my old dell running an Intel 1.7GHz with an old geforce 3 in it and 512MB system RAM

I made this on my Pentium 4 Prescott 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, nvivdia 7600gs 512MB ddr2

I'll be working on optimization and trying to get this to run on a much slower system, tho I have upgraded the Dell to a 2.8 GHz cpu and a 5200fx nvidia card, it still plays the same speed. This seems weird, as I expected some increase in performance lol

If anyone would like to explore some net play, as it seems much better than with bots, feel free to IM me, I'm on Yahoo messenger, ID is dbprocoder

Phenom - FPS WIP
White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 17:01
your game is very good you need to do something about the framerate but its still beta and anouter thing i think the plasma nuke is a bit too big. games very good though and just a question is it me or does the rocket launcher do nothing damage wise because i kill the enemies with the pulse rifle faster then with the rocket launch acually i never killed anything with the rocket launcher nor have i been killed by it

I'm a noob help will be accepted
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 18:52 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 18:53
NEW VIDEO

This video is for those of you that can't play the game, this is DM-Halls_Of_Death. Just a quick tour around the map, with the new run speed in effect, 3.2 instead of 2.5

Already fixed a lot of things for the next update, which I hope to post next Friday (April 18).

Bots really know how to avoid fire, and I will fix this. You can hit them though, just have to be good, or run around with the Scorpion Strike Cannon, only takes two hits, and with the beams being off, at medium range you can dominate them. Keep dodging and picking up energy cubes, your health will go up to 200, sometimes a bit past (which is a bug).

The rocket launcher will hit the bots, but it must hit directly because they don't take splash damage yet, and I'm fixing this also.
It's really good against human opponents tho, as I have experienced at LAN parties.

I forgot to mention in the readme that you can view the scoreboard by holding TAB during the game.

Also noticed that the Lead announcements are not working, when you take the lead, it should say 'You are now in the lead'
a few other 'announcing' tidbits:
5 kills in a row without dying will earn you a Killing Streak
10 kills - Massive Slaughter
15 kills - Phenomenal
20 kills - Minister of Death

Have fun!

Phenom - FPS WIP
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 20:28
Amazing! Can you play it online?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 21:09 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 21:20
Looks sweet! I dled a codec just to watch.

Edit: How is the speed during net play?

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 21:50
Yes, you can play it online!

I have tested this on a LAN with 4 other players, and online with 1, and it looks like it's working really good there.

You will need a good system tho, I use a Pentium 4 Prescott @ 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, nvidia 7600gs w/512MB DDR2 RAM.

and mine runs at 60-65 fps even with others in the game.
Bots however, as described in several posts above, bite right now, I'm making updates to fix

Phenom - FPS WIP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:28:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:28:58