Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Using CG with an ATI card?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 07:24
I'm happy with my new Radeon 9500 Pro, but it recently occured to me that my new card could also use pixel shaders (and hardware vertex shaders) which I hadn't thought of before. After a bit, a picked up that nVidia's CG language was supposed to work with all cards, not just theirs, so I decided to download it.

To the extend it works, it's great-- except for the crashes, but a whole lot of stuff in the menus is grayed out (which I assume means my card isn't supposed to support it), and 2 effects tell me that my hardware dosen't support something. I don't understand this; a 9000-liner should be able to handle everything CG can throw at it, and the 9500 Pro isn't a particularly crummy card either. Is CG just flipping out because I don't have an nVidia card? What am I missing?

Thanks...

PS-- tips on getting the effects to a format DarkBASIC can load into a shader would be appreciated
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 19:53
Radeon Cards arn't capable of the v3.0 Shaders (nor 4.0 which is being released with CgFX 1.2)

you can use upto the v2.x fine, but the v3.0 are NV30/NV35 only with some more specific just for the NV35 (GeForceFX series)

as long as you stick to v2.0 they should work fine. (keyword should because i'm still not entirely convinced about the Radeons abilities to handle Shaders over std Asm)

if you need tips about Shaders in DBP then just look around the dbp and code snippets forum as i've posted a few pieces of code, not much or in grand detail - but as Update5 is gonna essentially change the entire setup of them to Dx9 format seems a bit of a waste to get right into the atm as people will only complain because they don't work.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 20:35
Thanks for the explain.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:39:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:39:41