Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / memory allocation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2008 14:31
I understand that all images are written in the videocard's memory ... so I wanted to know where are the 3D models and sounds stored ??? in the system memory? but if so, a model can contain textures too so how is that handled ??? can someone please explain to me how each file type is stored and where ? thanks

Could you help me treat my injured Dino-Fly ?
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 10:36
im not to sure, but i think sound files have some sort of sound memory, because you can buy sound cards right
well thats what think, but could be wrong

winxp-intel core 2 duo 2.00ghz-2.00gb ram
nvidia en7300gt silent 256mb gfx
Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 22:03
so the 3D mesh is loaded inside the video memory right ??? cause that's what I wanted to know: where do polygon-based models go ... thanks WindowsKiller

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
A question.
This is an error.
Why?

DarkBASIC
MAIN MENU
EXAMPLES
DISPLAY EXAMPLES
Display Showcase
Anonymous User
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely nothing and to answer your question Twinsen they also go into the video card memory like almost everything else that has to do with graphics.

???
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 20:26
@WK : Back at you.

btw, meshes are not stored on the graphics card, they are stored in system memory, and sent to the card for rendering only.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 20:46
Really?

I always thought that mesh vertices were stored in vertexbuffers within graphics memory.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:05
Really. They are copied to vertex buffers in the Render method. If you look at any 3D code...DX, openGL, etc. its always that way. Textures are a different matter.

Writing my own model viewer in DX and openGL taught me that one. I was frustrated because MD2 models need to be rotated every frame, for example. That is likely what fix object pivot does..it saves the angle to rotate an object each frame.

What happens is the Render code locks a vertex buffer, does culling, and copies to vertexdata to the VB, which is on the card. Otherwise, you'd pay the price in GPU memory for every object you had, even ones that are out of view, etc.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:12
Ahh ok, yeah that makes sense. I haven't used DirectX directly much, I have done a fair bit of programming using OGL but that was a long time ago.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Twinsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 07:30
wooo thanks Jinzai and WindowsKiller btw PcRaider seems ... weirdly bot-ish ... though I suspect he's not a bot but still ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:23:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:23:51