Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Saving an animation using DBP?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If I want to build a simple limbed model using DarkBasic commands, how can I animate it and save the animation?

I know this was possible in DBC, in the version I have it's example 28 under BASIC3D commands. But I'm having trouble finding an equivalent to use in DBP. Could I have some help on this issue?
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 18:37
Animation of limb based objects is pretty straightforward, especially as you sound like you know DBC. Use the "Rotate Limb", "Scale Limb" and "Offset Limb" to move a limb, resize it (great for making a character breathe) or reposition it. Once you've got the limbs in the right position, use "Set Object Keyframe" to lock the particular frame. You can then reposition the limbs for the next keyframe. You needn't animate every single frame, DBC and DBpro will automatically generate the necessary "inbetween" frames.

Unfortunately, the Save Object Animation command was removed from DBPro "to make way for future enhancments". To my knowledge (which I admit is a bit limited when it comes to DBPro), it's never been reintroduced and the enhancments never materialised.

I think if you look under the "Getting started" section in the DBPro help files, you'll find an entry called "Migrating from DarkBasic 1.0". I may be mistaken as to its location, but the file is there and it'll tell you which commands have been removed from DBC for DBPro because of redundancy.

It is said there are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who have friends!
The Air Pump
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Rob.

As for what it says in "getting started,"

Five BASIC3D animation commands have been removed, to make way for future enhancements providing much better support for all
types of 3D object animation:

APPEND OBJECT ANIMATION
CLEAR ALL OBJECT KEYFRAMES
CLEAR OBJECT KEYFRAME
SAVE OBJECT ANIMATION
SET OBJECT KEYFRAME

This is actually quite alright. I could simply just save variables to a text file and use them to recreate an animation each time the model is loaded. So while it wouldn't explicitly save the animation itself, it would save the data needed to recreate the animation. This is actually appropriate, too, as I want the user to be able to modify a text file to edit this (and offer a GUI version as well), due to the customizability of the idea I have in mind.

Once again, domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:25:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:25:23