Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / World of OMEN RPG (image intensive)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 22:12
The lighter concept sounds fun, too, so - as far as I'm concerned - whatever you want as long as what you want doesn't include 'shelving' the engine, in which case we'll have to send Paris Hilton after you.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 19:22
Paris Hilton?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
looks pretty good Omen

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 07:14
Wow, this is definitally one of the better looking projects. Being a skepticist, I have to wonder if the gameplay is as good as the graphics, though. Lol

I'd love to alpha/beta test for you, but unfortunately, I barely have enough time to find these threads and post in them.

The one and only,

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 21:16
@Plystire,

There's no gameplay yet - I'm still assembling all the parts of the engine. Right now all you can do is walk around, talk to other people, explore, and transfer from one area to another (zoning).

Currently, I'm working on the Give/Take system, inventory persistence and synchronization with the database and dupe-thwarting.

...there aren't even NPCs to harass yet

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 23:38
Quote: "...there aren't even NPCs to harass yet"

Look at it from the bright side, there are players to harrass.

SOTA Engine
Purchase
Source and Non Source versions available!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 03:08 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:41
Whew!

Well, I knew it would take a while to get the zoning system in-place because of the dependencies on the entity, dynamic cursor, and pick systems...

...but I didn't think it would take this long

Snapshots wouldn't really show you anything new -- you really have to watch the video to see all these systems working together seamlessly

OMENS Multiserver Zoning video is here

The steps for downloading and installing the client and creating a new account (no credit card or e-mail address required) are here: World of OMEN Demo

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 06:27 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 06:38
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I just finished up the jump synchronization code - and it was a bear to get right.

But it was worth it - movement accuracy has been greatly increased due to some improvements I had to put in to make both systems play nice together. Currently, player movement is accurate to less than 0.18 meters and jumping is accurate to within 0.6 meters under lag of ~200ms and with only 2 updates/client/second. I have the ability to simulate lag from client to server and server to client (and to make them asymmetrical), but I happen to have a friend who travels a lot due to his job who was able to help do testing from 4 different states. My friend had no problem getting the Updater, having the Updater update itself, downloading the entire game, running it, connecting, creating a character and exploring the world. So, we officially have Alpha Tester #1.

Also, because jumping and moving are (mostly) independent system, players have extremely accurate air control when jumping So, it was worth the extra time I think.

I've also got the code in place for "jump queuing" so that if another jump signal (from another player jumping) is received by a client, it can be stored until the current jump finishes and then promoted to the active jump action. You'd need this to accommodate large lag spikes, or in situations where you didn't have a timer (or had a highly variable timer) limiting jump frequency. It's currently turned off, but I can easily turn it on later if needed by switching around some code. Currently, even under heavy lag, it looks like it may not be needed - but, we'll see.

I've also been working on the GUI. It turns out that I am absolutely going to need a few key true Windows widgets for some of the Give/Take functionality and sprites alone just won't cut it.

I'm happy to report, though, that I'm putting the finishing touches on the chat-command-based GUI creation system. I should have a video out soon that shows this system in action

Oh, BTW, whoever is rating my videos as 4 and 5 stars on YouTube (if it's someone from here)... THANKS it's very kind of you

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 09:21
I just took a look at my last update and realized it's been 2 months since I last published an update, so thought it was about time to do so. Time really flies when you are both busy AND having fun. I really apologize for the lapse in updates - this was my first Alpha Test run for an online game, so I have admittedly been a bit overwhelmed

Well, the first phase of Alpha Testing went incredibly well -- that's what's been taking up most of my time for the last 2 months. In that time, here's the bugs we found:

HIGH Priority: critical impact to core gameplay: 15 found, 15 fixed (hurray!)
MEDIUM Priority: either non-critical impact to gameplay (core or otherwise), or server code efficiency improvements: 7 found, 4 fixed
LOW Priority: non-critical impact to non-core gameplay, or server or client code efficiency improvements: 3 found, 0 fixed

Code Cleanup has been on-going throughout this time, and the a great deal of additional fault tolerance code is in place for both game state changes and network environment changes (ie, lag spikes).

Additional security code has been added, so that now it's possible to send all game state updates and commands through encrypted channels. I made some modifications to the server code that increased the speed of its decrypt function by an order of magnitude (it was actually just not that well written in the first place - so, it's just fixing my own code).

Also, database calls are now MUCH larger (in other words, returning many more rows) so that the server doesn't get "nickel and dimed" to death with the overhead from lots of tiny queries. Basically, when a small query comes in (maybe even as small as just asking for just 1 row), the server caches an entire page from the database into a UDT. When queries come in, the server checks to see if it already has the data cached and if so, returns the results directly from memory -- much much faster. The cached pages are automatically deleted whenever an update transaction occurs - which pretty much allows me to "sidestep" syncronization issues... end result - data access much much faster now.

The GUI system has been going through continuous improvement and I DID manage to shoehorn in the HTML GUI system using Blue's WebBrowser Gadgets -- and so far I'm very very happy with the results. Having your GUI content _automagically_ reflow when a gui element is resized is a thing of beauty. The only real downside is that a lot of testers said they really didn't like the "click" sound that is automatically generated (actually by Internet Explorer). The stop-gap solution was to simply set the "Star Navigation" and "Complete Navigation" sounds to "NONE" in the Sounds Control panel. Not the best solution, but it works for now.

The first phase of Alpha Testing was all friends and family. I made the decision that I wanted to lift the NDA for the TGC community and the best way to do that was to get OMEN to the point where people could begin talking about the features we wanted without those ideas getting drowned in bug reports. Right now I'm just working on getting things as bug free as possible instead of working on giving testers "something to do." This goes a little against establish best practices for Alpha Testing (okay, actually a lot)... but, we're all such a close tight-knit community, that I figure people will be more than happy to just have a "walk and talk" client they can try out and have fun with

This update has no eye candy, but I'm currently working on my version of a particle system and character customization, so hopefully the next update will have LOTS of good snapshots and movies for you. More to come...

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 00:26 Edited at: 29th Sep 2008 00:27
Particle system is done, and I have some eye candy as promised

The character customization system is coming along really well, I've actually been working on "artwork" (if you want to call it that) for some of the interchangeable components so I can do a proper demo of the character customization system.

I've haven't built the database tables yet for the pieces, so I can't show them in-engine yet, but here's one of the model sets I'm affectionately calling "the arachnid"...

The head and hands aren't done yet, but she's fully rigged and animated to the base female skeleton.

I'm planning on building 2 other component sets for the character customization demo - one that looks like a human/jet-fighter combination (bit hard to explain that one) and one that looks like a human scorpion. The real fun part will be when you can mix and match pieces, base colors, decals, and textures -- may take awhile, but it'll be worth it

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 11:46
Looking real good Omen, and very inspirational.

The character customization system is looking very good. Very curious about your implementation.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 15:59
Ah, Intresting text omen!

zarock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 19:38
instead of makeing it a one plot story or w/e why not try to make it a free roam thing like say once you get it done you could add npc's with quest and stuff with the option to train skills in the class you have or mix and match skills i don't know anything about game making but it might be easier? like i said i dont know but i think you could make a killing of it once you got it up and running like a f2p and a p2p or somthing but ya just my thoughts

Proud lead creator of the 18 and in spare time maker of crappy MP maps
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 23:17 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:45
Just finished a major re-write of the asset-handling system that I've been coding/testing for about a month now. The new system unifies all the various media-handling routines under one UDT and function-set and allows me to do things like broadcasting object property updates. This will allow multiple World Builder GMs to edit an area simultaneously and see each others' changes as they make them. This feature was always part of the original design, but I ran into a major logic error with the original implementation that didn't surface in the original unit test :/

Sooo, long story made short, a major chunk of code has been re-written and is now about 1000% better

Couple more minor features that I've got up and running:

Weapon-specific emotes for local and all remote players. When you move, the correct emote is played for that movement with a weapon.

Static translucency (see photo below - there are "force fields" above the distant walls). Allows an object to maintain a specific translucency not based on distance from camera - great for force fields. This system works simultaneously with the distance-based alpha blending.

Greatly improved the World Builder tools in the client - everything can now be done with the mouse. Improved the grid-snap/rotate-snap code to dynamically increase or decrease the snap size based on the most recent mouse movement delta. Hard to explain this, it just makes moving things "feel" very easy and natural when moving objects around.

Basic Money System is in-place (see photo below). Currently allows for 8 different types of currency. I'll probably only have 3 types of currency in the beginning, but nice to have the ability to expand.

Integrated Fastbones.fx to the animation system for characters. This gave a _huge_ fps savings for the Model Pack 18 characters (~5000 polys). The character customization system characters will be ~2200 polys _total_, so this means there's still plenty of fps savings to be had if needed.

Integrated the Fog system with the Sky system so that fog distance, fog color, ambient light level and ambient light color are all calculated dynamically from the sky colors such that the fog always blends into the sky at a distance, but maintains a visible horizon line.

Early Morning Workout by The Wall

The steps for downloading and installing the client and creating a new account (no credit card or e-mail address required) are here: World of OMEN Demo

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 08:35
Here's some screenshots of a new area for Alpha Testers - enjoy!

You can click on the screenshots for larger images.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 08:37
Looks like you're using the FPSC character bone structure...

Hope you can change that at some point in time

The new screenies look great!

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 09:01 Edited at: 16th Oct 2008 09:14
@Plystire,

Yep, those are straight FPSC models - skin, bones, animations and all. Yes, I've found of good way of removing the skeleton and animations and just using the mesh and textures (using FragMotion). If I have a spare hour in the next couple weeks, I'll post one of the models doing a backflip or something else non-FPSC so you can see how it looks

I've built my own models and animations for the character-customization system that will eventually replace the FPSC model system completely. So, in the meantime, here's a quick WiP movie of the arachnid model running and doing a backflip (attached)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 20:49 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:43
Alpha Test Phase 2 starts today

All current and new alpha testers should have received instructions for downloading the demo client.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 07:05 Edited at: 31st Oct 2008 07:06
Smashing Pumpkins in World of OMEN today

The coordinated object interaction system (SMASH!) went online today as well as the awards and accomplishment system. Players can now interact with PVE world objects (like the pumpkin smashing going on in the screenshot above).

The Loot System is now fully active as well, and players have begun collecting mechanical and electrical salvage (which will later be used for both crafting and character advancement).

Also today, players can begin collecting awards and accomplishments which will be used later to provide special in-game benefits. For those of you familiar with the "badges" or "merits" system in other games, this system is similar. Currently the following 2 "Programs Completed" are available:

Original Alpha Tester
Pumpkin Smasher

Happy Halloween everyone!!!

-Darrel

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 21:57
this looks cool I'll help you bate test this when your reddy for it.

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 23:22 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:45
If you want, you can join us for Chimera (phase 2 alpha testing of OMEN) that's going on right now. As an alpha tester, you'll get access to a few exclusive in-game benefits. Plus, you'll play a big part in helping shape the World of OMEN

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 04:31 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:46
Fort AX31 is now open for Alpha Testers today. AX31 is a medium-sized area (2km x 2km), mostly covered in forest and hidden ruins. A few of the ruins have been converted over to outposts, but ancient technology is scattered throughout the area - some of which is still active and still running its original programming.

As a World Builder, this area was challenging because I needed to find a good balance between providing a feeling of high density in the vegetation without going over a modest polygon budget. This area makes heavy use of object instancing while at the same time using object transforms and combinations to prevent repetition. The area has lots of hidden glades, unexpected nooks and crannies, and a couple of World Event triggers to keep things interesting

The following "Programs Completed" are available in this area:

Gate Keeper: You know that not every door is opened with a key.
Hot Wired: You found a way to make alien technology fight on our side.
Hungry: You can't explain it, and you don't know why it happens... but every once in a while you still get hungry.

Leaving Crystal Forest, approaching Fort AX31

"Learning the ropes" high above Fort AX31

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 14:30
I tried to run this on linux but no luck =( It seems it cannot load matrix dll... Well when i get in touch of windows computer i can try.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 00:17 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:22
@Roxas,

I'd be interested in hearing more about the DX9.0c layer you are using - Cedega? Wine? Something else?

In case anyone missed it, the steps for downloading and installing the client and creating a new account (no credit card or e-mail address required) are here:

World of OMEN Demo

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 17:40
Im using wine.. Now i got past that part but it fails loading Ezrotate dll.. If i put the correct dll in there it will load it but wine wont work correctly because it has to use its builtin version of that dll to work in right way.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 19:20
@Roxas

Ugh! that's a terrible catch-22, I'm sorry you're having difficulties with it :/

It would be nice if TGC could work with Transgaming to get DarkBasic/DarkGDK on the Cedega-Certified list.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 19:42
I dislike Cedega.. Wine is open source, free and works better so i support that. And Cedega is just modifed version of wine.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 17:53 Edited at: 16th Nov 2008 05:18
Alpha Test Phase 2 is winding down next week (ending on the 21st). Here's a list of everything we've accomplished this month:

* Fixed and fully tested all remaining open bugs from Alpha Test Phase 1
* Found and Fixed 36 new bugs, over half of which (19 of them) were bugs with the new GUI system
* Fixed 4 new Critical system bugs (concerning state management), 24 Usability/QoL bugs (again, most of these were GUI usability), and 2 Mesh/Texture bugs. I have 6 remaining Lo-Priority bugs to fix before Phase Three (2 collision bugs, 2 GUI bugs, 1 animation bug, and 1 request for improvements to the Online Help web pages).
* Players logged-on 160 times
* Players created a total of 71 characters
* Players collected 1346 pieces of salvage (type 8 "Advanced Actuator Component" was the most collected salvage)
* Most players collected most badges on at least 1 character
* Brought a new area online mid-test ("Fort AX31"), and players only experienced 1 issue (which was fixed within 1 hour) with receiving the new content
* Average response time for fixing and publishing all bugs that were fixed was < 24 hours, with all 4 Critical system bugs being fixed and published in < 1 hour

Alpha Test Phase Three will be starting sometime in the next month as I bring the combat and monster spawning/AI systems online.

More to come...

-Darrel

sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 20:39
yer I'll do the testing for you just email me a link or a download.

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2008 04:20
@Sindore,

Instructions sent to your hotmail address.

The Master Dinasty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 21:52
hey omen i am open to help you with models if you want to speak with me
massap2@hotmail.com

Beacause massa is the master!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 00:31 Edited at: 28th Nov 2008 03:34
Absolutely!

E-mail sent

Since I posted, I thought I should give an update too, but didn't want to double-post

Where things are at:

There's very little actually left to do in terms of New Code that needs to be written or integrated from unit tests. I know that sounds hard to believe, but that's really where things are at in terms of coding.

I'm really just adding more and more of everything that's already there - more art assets, more gui widgets and controls, more Lua scripts, etc....

The route I took with coding world interactions was similar to "The Sims" where all "intelligence" for world objects is encoded in the object itself (stored on server, of course) so when a client clicks on something, the object "knows" the Take state required, therefore defining what the client has to Give in order to successfully use the object. The upshot being that all the code for world interactions is "virtualized" into these Take masks (client state is stored on server as the Give mask). Two additional fields are defined for the scripts (Lua) to be run on success or failure and that's all there is to it. So, levers can be pulled to activate huge robotic hands, innocent pumpkins can be smashed to bits, and whole sections of the world can be opened up by spinning an enormous rusty cog -- which is all a lot of fun, as the alpha testers will tell you

I know some people have had concerns about Lua's speed before, but it hasn't been an issue for me. Every script I've written so far runs in under 1 millisecond - including the Bad Word script that checks new usernames and accountnames for profanity and that's doing regular expression tests against over 270 patterns and that's still under 1 ms

So... what I'm working on Right Now...

Graphics Improvements! I've integrated the FastBone vertex shader with a per-pixel lighting shader and an RGB mixer shader -- for which I have a devious plan in mind I don't have it working 100% the way I want yet, but hopefully I'll be able to really blow some socks off with the results. More to come on that...

DBPro 7.1 also delivered on making fullscreen post-process shaders a piece of cake... so Bloom is in, and it really allows a lot more flexibility in lighting. It's a hit on framerate, but with integrated limb culling and the new distance-based alpha-fade shader, it's actually pretty good. The screenshot below is on my "low end" ATI Radeon 9600, P1.4, and it's 70 fps - so not too shabby.

Here's an early screenshot of integrated Bloom with one of the new character models. It's a little "overblown," but I was trying to see how bright I could get it in this test -- yeah, that's too bright:

Integrated Bloom + One of the New Character Model

The FPS models and animations are gone, so custom animations are in and working nicely with the emote broadcast system.

Normal mapping for characters is coming soon... and clothing

Let me know if there's other things you'd like me to talk about in these updates, or if there's anything you'd like me to discuss in more detail.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 18:07
Uploaded a new movie today that shows off the world interaction capabilities of World of OMEN.

check it out here

programing dude
Years of Service
User Offline
This is awsome, a true piece of artwork!
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2009 21:57
That's pretty cool, so things people do in one game happen to everyone. Nice.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 02:23
@programming dude,

Thanks! That's very kind of you. I'm no 3d artist, unfortunately, though -- so, I'm using a lot of stock artwork for now. I finally got the Combat System and the new Character Customization system working together in peace... so, should have a couple new movies up as soon as I finish building some more character parts

@Dr Manette,

Yeah, it's a pretty straightforward implementation of a reliable-UDP system (built on top of IanM's Matrix 28 DLL). On top of that you add a guaranteed-unique global id system that can span multiple servers and databases, and top it all off with a command broadcast system and you get MUSIC (Multi-User Simultaneous Instance Creation)

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 07:47 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2009 07:52
Just a quick update,

I've gotten a ton of work done in the last 2 months with World of OMEN, and will be releasing the next major upgrade (ARES) to Alpha Testers soon. Also, I'll be starting a new thread in this forum too.

All the following systems are now online in Sandbox server, GMs are testing them:

1) Combat System
2) Character Customization (during character creation)
3) Post-Creation Character Customization
4) Monster Spawning (and re-spawning)
5) Basic Monster AI
6) Improved GUI system (transparency, window re-sizing, auto-scrolling text, lots of other nifty features)

(yes, those textures do seem vaguely familiar to you)

Hope you like it, more to come

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2009 21:47
Looks good, I mean Amazing! Do you mind me stealing your programming powers? Is it ok if I take them from you?

Here have a carrot ->

Jack

TheCleverGuyz
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 16:17
@Half Life Dude

Hey thanks, here's another one I whipped up this morning. OK, so now I'm having a blast playing with the character creation system in-game instead of programming. I suppose that's a good thing - it means the system is fun to play with.... but do I really need yet another distraction to keep me from my code

Oh, new sig test

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 18:07
This is impressive. I'm not sure why this isn't getting more attention on the forums? Nice work!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 18:17
@tiresius,

Thanks! This project has been slightly in "stealth mode" for the last 2 months as I've been getting everything ready for ARES.

I'm always looking for more Alpha testers, so if you'd like to join us, just follow the link in my signature

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 06:06 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 06:08
Just another quick update...

I have the 4 layer color system for characters in-place and running nicely, so limb-based alpha blending with patterns and details isn't far off now.

The Body Shop system is now in place as well so you can change the look of characters after they have been made and other players see the updates immediately

Here's a screenshot of GMTulrath (my main) in the Body Shop:

Click Here for a larger view

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:17
I really like it =) Nice job there Omen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:41:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:41:22