Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / RTS Random generated maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello there,

I'm currently on a rpg project. I'm making it with memblock terrains, using dark physics and dark A.i. . Sure many people on these forums are making some rts, so I'd like to know how they manage to create random maps, I mean, how to create lakes, mountains at random places. If you could explain me how to do it, it would be a huge advantage to me.

Thanks!

I am a Maverick hunter. Never know when they're acting against you.
Windsept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 02:16 Edited at: 19th Apr 2008 02:17
Here is a thread that shows you how to make a random heightmap which then can be used with advanced terrain or a matrix. But I wouldn't use a matrix. Too much memory!!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68577&b=6

Windsept
bobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 12:27 Edited at: 10th May 2008 08:27
For starters any random map generator should have a symetrical option.

To generate a random map there are a cupple of approches that spring to mind. 1st:

you could set the whould map to a set hight, then you could randmly select from a bunch of pre-defined land scape features which are randomly placed on the map. Of cause this limits the variety of maps that will be produced. To improve this you could make a hill generator to randomly generate hills, one for dips, rivers etc.

the second aproach is to do it in one go, you generate a random map, compleatly so its spiky etc, then you use a smoothing algorythm to smmoth it out untill it is playable.

Of cause each method has its pros and cons, and i am sure there are many more.

PS every RTS should have a random map gen so im pleased you are thinking about macking one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:28:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:28:36