Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / migrating from DarkBASIC to DarkBASIC Pro...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Its seems you almost have to start over from scratch as nothing I've made in DarkBASIC works in DarkBASIC PRO... The majority of the tutorials/examples/software seems to be aimed at DarkBASIC and not DarkBASIC PRO... I wish they would release a more information from converting your old DB programs to DBPro... I really like to use the FPS Engine that came with CShop... I converted it to a 3rd person engine... but now neither will work in DBPRO... I downloaded the DBPro version of the FPS Engine and its buggy in the sense that you can't see the players hand gun unless you fly upwards...

The other thing is that I hear DBPro supports BSP files, how are these made?? The more information I cna get a hold of I'll write a FAQ/tutorial to help other people new to DBPro...

The FPS demo that comes with DBPro seems pretty obscure.. they have source for each step but I've gotten numerous runtime errors, saying it couldn't load BSP files... I mean I will check the paths and everything but by default you would think all of this would work and it doesnt... So far its more frustrating then anything... having to start all over.. etc.... if anyone has a few sites or tutorials or another modified CShop FPSengine, I'd appreciate it... Thanks...

Anakin
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh here is one error among numerous I get from the TUTORIALS THAT I GOT WITH DBPRO.... Understand I DID NOT change the source at all as I reinstalled a few times to make sure...

Runtime Error 7151 - Could not load BSP file at line 72

This error was from tutorial 5...

_load_game:
rem Load BSP world and sky model
load bsp "world\ikzdm1.pk3","ikzdm1.bsp"
SkyObj=1 : load object "models\sky\am.x",SkyObj

return

Now in tutorial 9, which is in the same folder as tutorial 5 has the lines:

_load_game:
rem Load BSP world and sky model
load bsp "world\ikzdm1.pk3","ikzdm1.bsp"
SkyObj=1 : load object "models\sky\am.x",SkyObj

return

But when I run tutorial 9, NO ERROR....

These two pieces of code look pretty similar... and why have tutorials that are packaged with DBPro that don't even run??

Anakin
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:30
As far as migrating from DB goes, there are several commands that have been removed/changed but other then that, it should work. There's a list that comes with DBP about migrating (not code, but long enough to use the tag):

Basically you just need to go through your old programs and remove any of those commands. Also Mipmapping I think is the biggest change so I'm pretty sure you'll have some of those commands in your DB apps.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Well more then just commands were changed right?? I mean arent some formats different... like models/levels/etc... I mean its not just as simple as that... otherwise my programs would be working... My program uses none of the commands listed by you or by the instruction manual....

Since there have been people who successfully made games with DBPro, it must be something I'm missing... its just finding it...

Anakin
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 15:33
DBP has excluded several formats from it's current patch but they will return in Upgrade 5. It's current supported model formats are: *.X, *.MD2, *.MD3 - The 3ds format should be back in U5 as well as some others.

The syntax is still the same so there's no reason why DB code wouldn't run in DBP. What error message do you get?

One last thing is that DBP is still buggy so you could be getting genuine bugs from DBP that didn't exist in Classic, unfortunately the only solution to these bugs are to wait for an upgrade or find another way to do the same thing.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:43:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:43:13