Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Happy 4th!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:49
Haven't seen one of these yet so I figgured I'd make one.

Happy 4th to all US on the board! (I suppose to everybody on the board, but chances are if you're not American you haven't even noticed)

I hope you:

-Took advantage of the only day you can really shoot of fireworks (in most states)

-Didn't buy French wine (or the cashier prolly sabatoged it, whether or not it matters to you)

-Took advantage of a reason to celebrate excessively without having to laboursly string up lights, etc

-Didn't mess up your map loading by changing the order your functions are called in like I did

-Ditched AOL if you used it

-Are similarly annoyed by the air strike of noisemakers our neighbors seem to be administrating

-Aren't an alien from Pluto sent to kill us all

Well, a happy 4th to you all!
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:55
Quote: "From 'Independence Day' movie (starring Will Smith & Jeff Goldblum):"

We're going to live on..
We're going to survive..

Today.. we celebrate.. our Independence Day.

--------------------------------------------

Happy 4th to USA

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:59
lol. I remember the first time I saw that movie I was around 9, and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen-- a brilliant plot, amazing special effects, stunning acting, terrifying scenes, the works. Even a good dash of swear words which I found quite interesting at the time . Now, well... well, I just groan and cover my eyes whenever anything related to computers is brought up when I watch it

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 06:02 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 06:03
"Took advantage of the only day you can really shoot of fireworks (in most states)" - Illegal in NY, not that I didn't do it

"Didn't buy French wine (or the cashier prolly sabatoged it, whether or not it matters to you" - Too young

"Took advantage of a reason to celebrate excessively without having to laboursly string up lights, etc" - Try many red, white and blue balloons, only to pop in one hour in the heat.

"Didn't mess up your map loading by changing the order your functions are called in like I did" - erm... no.

"Ditched AOL if you used it" - Aol sucks! lol

"Are similarly annoyed by the air strike of noisemakers our neighbors seem to be administrating" - Pretty much...

"Aren't an alien from Pluto sent to kill us all" - *whistles innocently*

Happy 4th of July!

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 06:03
My god, I think your avatar pretty much proves what you are.

*calls the MIB*

Happy 4th to you too

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 06:03 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 06:25
My avatar? Special Ed? I love crank yankers

Wait... Are you saying I'm a puppet or an idiot?

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 06:28
-Took advantage of the only day you can really shoot of fireworks (in most states) -check-

-Didn't buy French wine (or the cashier prolly sabatoged it, whether or not it matters to you) -check-

-Took advantage of a reason to celebrate excessively without having to laboursly string up lights, etc -check-

-Didn't mess up your map loading by changing the order your functions are called in like I did -check-

-Ditched AOL if you used it

-nope-
-Are similarly annoyed by the air strike of noisemakers our neighbors seem to be administrating -check-

-Aren't an alien from Pluto sent to kill us all - - -check-

Yea, we had a power outtage here in Ohio, but luckily I spent most of the time reading, and lighting of some bottle rockets,fire crackers, and this roman candle(shoots sparks in the air).

Happy 4th, although it's soon drawing to a close for some of us in the East.

2D Fighting game in Progress
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 07:15
Yeah, I'm in the East too, it is ending right now. I thought I better make one before time ran out

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 07:51
Ah darn the last one got me. Happy fourth anyways! Man! The fireworks here SUCKED even worse than last year! My parents restaurant was SNAIL LIKE compaired to usual! Most 4ths we do like 350 - we did a mere 100 this year! Yikes! Lunch did more than that! Well, Im just hoping they saved the best fireworks for Sunday, and hopefully the fog will be out by then, couldnt see most the show, either they were shot too low or the fog blurred them

Ah heck - still had fun at the carnival downtown with my cousin whos up from Texas I love this time of month

Happy 4th!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 14:15 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 14:16
Damn, we have to wait another 4 months or so before we can use weapons of minimum destruction (Guy Fawkes)....

And Independence day (the movie), was rubbish. Waited like years for it to come out (effects were amazing on previews) and it was the worst alien film ever. I'll only list one thing of the major list of rubbish : how come the virus (sigh) that they uploaded included an animated skull with sound effects? I mean they had to upload it as fast as possible before the aliens saw it.... must stop.....

Oh, and for a far better alien story, read Footfall.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 15:25
i think u watched the wrong thing..

You didn’t kick them, you just pushed them with your foot at a very high velocity!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 18:14
'we have to wait another 4 months or so before we can use weapons of minimum destruction (Guy Fawkes)....'

Gotta look up what that's about again...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 20:21
hehee Dazzag ... (^_^) last nite got totally bladdered, we went through about 2-3kegs (first was guiness not sure what the rest was as i couldn't read it) - then the fun started ... we went down to the beach and gave the girls a quality fireworks display (or atleast the way i remember it, it was quality )

woke up about an hr ago next to my current lil blonde so i know that i had a good nice.

might not like the fact of the holiday, but any reason to celebrate is a good reason
lets hope in 4months on Guy Fawkes everyone doesn't get arrested again eh

Ole Sparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 21:24
NO! BRITS AND FRENCHIES!!!! KILL 'EM ALL!!

Just kidding, I had a good 4th.

#@&*(%$()!!!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 22:48
Now now. Change that to the the English. Not Brits. English. Us Welsh didn't take over half the world. We just aimed at sucking at sport basically. Different slant...

And pet rat, I can assure you I was watching the correct film. If you are under the age of 12 then that explains why you liked the movie. Out of interest, when Will Smith punched the alien when it emerged from the spaceship, why did he then turn round (with his back to the alien) and smoke a cigar without a care in the world? If I remember rightly he hadn't met one before. But he knew that one sock from his fist would lay the alien down low (for more than the time it took to smoke a cigar). Hmmm. God I hated that movie for being so lame. Once again, anyone read Footfall? Much better. Failing that, what about Ender's game????

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 00:18
If it weren't for US independence, there'd be no Brits and Frenchies. They'd all be part of the Third Reich or the Soviet Union right now.

The Welsh? Is there really a response to that?

Do the English even know where Wales is?

Wales is one of the wonderland places the map claims exist, like Andorra or Sikkum or the rich part of New Jersey. No one is quite sure it existed, and it very possibly may just could somehow likely sort of be an old joke from a 17th century cartographer with a few too many bottles of whiskey and even more time.

None it matters. Differences among Europeans don't count. Really, they need to just unite and have one hell of an international footsoccerball team.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 01:04
Quote: "
We just aimed at sucking at sport basically.
"

Explain the current Welsh football team then.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 01:17
Quote: "If it weren't for US independence, there'd be no Brits and Frenchies. They'd all be part of the Third Reich or the Soviet Union right now."

MWHAHAAAA ... ROFLMAO!!
Englands been invaded more times over the past 2 millennia than you've had hot dinners mate - its funny how the American's weren't around when we were actually facing being completely taken over by the Romans but we're not all italian
sure they gave us god and latin ... but just look we never spoke latin outside of church, and although you could say we're a god fearing people - lets be honest the English have never really been a god fearing, its more like a casual friendship for most (if that)

biggest problem with the "yankies" like you is you seem to believe that everyone owes you something and that somehow you've made the world a better place. All based on the simple face you think "Bigger is Better"

(someone should explain it isn't the size of the equippment but having better equippment from the get go helps for those embarrasing misfires and jams in the line of duty hehee)

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 01:27
Oh no, not again. Ain't one thread of this enough?

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 02:45
Quote: " think "Bigger is Better""

Size Does Matter (nah just kidding, i'd just watched Godzilla on video)

Coming to the 'current' topic, it ain't that bad Empty, maybe they all just got bored of the Al-Qaeda game topic next door

Anyway, its pretty cool to read about the history (without the diss & flames! hehehehe!)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 03:09 Edited at: 6th Jul 2003 03:10
If 8truths and Raven start their argument in this thread (and their... what... 7th?) I am going to send assassins after the pair of them.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 09:00
Quote: "we were actually facing being completely taken over by the Romans"

How did that work out for you guys? Oh, yeah . . . Londonium.

Raven . . . have you ever read a history book? I mean, a good one, like "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", or "The Soong Dynasty", or "Amusing the Million", or maybe even anything Foucault?

The genome of the Engrish is heavily populated by other strains. The Romans are just so damned far back back that any contribution they made has since been dilluted.

And Italy's genome has is not Roman, for the most part, because most of Italy was wiped out by plague and war by 600 AD. Accounts from the Byzantine reconquest of Italy indicate the soldiers walked for miles without meeting anyone. So, Roman does not equal Italian.

Let's see . . . How did the British Isles fair during this period?

Anglo-Saxon invasions during 600s form base of genome. Some residual Celtic, although not as much as the Scots and Welsh will claim. Then we add some Norman for fun between 800-1000. A dab of French in spots from 1000-1400. A steady flow of Germans pretty much up to the 1900s. And, a dash of various colonials during the Commonwealth.

Not much chance of Britain being Tony Soprano's backyard once you buried the Italian influence that far.

As for God and Latin . . . The security of the Church in orthern Europe was a product of the Norman conversion. Christianity nearly fell apart during the 500s and 600s.

As for Latin, the commonality of Latin terms in English did not come about until the 1500s and 1600s, when educated English writers, finding their language rather lacking in words, simply cribbed tons of words from the more expansive and complex Latin, which the majority of them knew, to describe an expanding wordview accompanied by the emergence of science and discovery during the Renaissance, Religious Wars, and even into the Enlightenment.

Try to imagine history outside of a vacuum, Raven, because you have a very cut-and-dried version. "We're not Italian, so Britian managed to get past the Romans" is a very, very weak and is an argument that wholly ignores historical methods.

If you're really up for a head trip, read Foucault (Foucault focuses on history as a cultural mechanism for conveying norms, and tosses the obvious stupidity of treating history as an empircal science). If not, at least pick up some soft stuff like James Miller (cultural historian). Everyone should read Shirer before they die.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 09:06
Mouse -- I have a tracking ### for one assassin? When will he arrive? UPS said today, but there's no way it's going to make it here that quickly if you shipped ground!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 11:40
aww how cute he can read, but he doesn't understand the big words in the books he does read.

you seriously think to highly of the US if you somehow believe that England of any of the UK owe them anything.
the americans were asked for help from the beginning and you'd of left us to rot too if you hadn't been attacked by a country who had nothing to do with the european theatre other than they had ties with hilter.

we stood fast for 4 damn'd years without the help and perhaps it might've taken us another 4 to win the war ... but we would've done it without the United States help. Germany was running out of supplies, the campaign in africa had left them a very poor nation running out of resources and they'd also alienated thier allies.
If your not prepaired to fight for your freedom before it is threatened then you don't derserve it!

i'm not talking about all americans here... JUST YOU!

you wanna sit there and talk about who did what an when then go ahead and do so... you think that american's are the reason the English aren't speaking german or some other bull then fine think so.

i can tell you though that we'd of fought until we all fell if the germans came to our shores! The war for England and Britian would never have been a simple case of "oh well they're here now!" ... if you have some dilluded ideal that the English are that subserviant then you need to read up on the history alot better - because the country has been invaded more times than can be counted.

But look at us, NO time has it been 100% invaded, NO time has there been a total adaptation to a culture, NO time has any of the nations which make up the UK ever given up thier inalienable pnemonics that make them what they are...
we might incorporate things from other cultures, but deep at the core we are still the people who we are ... so what if we say gasuntight when someone sneezes, does that mean we're german?
so what if we say espionage, does that make us french?
so what if we say Basic, doesn't that make us roman/latin?

no ... it just means we took what we needed from others, we are the same people who've evolved our own culture that has very little traits from any other civiliation - you think that others footprints would've been left ... we don't brick the same way the romans did even though they were the first to show us how. we don't use viking battle tactics and never did, we don't have a french overview on art and poetry.

just becuase when you move you take on the accent of where you've been, that does not change who you are in anyway... underneath you are still you - no matter how much you'd like to believe being somewhere else would change that, you will handle every situation how you want to, and you will do everything that you did before.
You might learn new things and incorportate them into yourself ... but your not going to live in france for a year and suddenly become french that is just not how people work.

just look at the english history that you seem so keen to do, look at the behaviour throughout - it is destinctive, and nothing in the 2,500years of recorded english history has that behaviour changed.

you think one little war would've changed that if the american's hadn't interveaned then do so ... you havn't got a clue what the spirit of being British is about at all - Our pride would never have allowed us to loose without loosing it all.
the british are a proud, stubborn people who just don't have a clue about when to just walk away and when to give up.

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 12:20
If it weren't for US independence, there'd be no Brits and Frenchies. They'd all be part of the Third Reich or the Soviet Union right now.

That's opinion not fact. My opinion is that Britain would have won WWII without America it just woulda taken many more years.

Heres a fact - America lost the only War it has fought since WWII without the help of Britain.

Don't bitch about my country and I won't bitch about yours - I like America.

Happy 4th BTW
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 13:25
Mouse, start another topic: lets say a birthday topic, and see how many posts it will take for it to turn into either another country dissing, or a DBP vs XXX topic! lol

sigh..

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 20:09
Quote: "you think one little war "

WWII was one little war? WWII is the culmination of later western history.

Sorry, Brits, but you did not have the industrial production necessary to face down Germany. Even before the US entry into WWII, the Lend-Lease Program propped up Britain and Russia.

WWII was won by the Russians, at Stalingrad and Kursk. American production propped up the Russians in their darkest hour, and also the war with Japan ensured the Russians would only fight a one-front war.

The American combat role served the purpose of making sure the Soviets were stopped before making into western Europe.

The most the Brits would have gotten from the Germans was a dishonorable peace, probably with provisions limiting their military. Then, the Brits still would have faced the ugly business of mopping up their war with the Japanese.

As for the one war the US lost . . . I will debate whether Vietnam was a strategic defeat. The reason for the intervention in Vietnam was Domino Theory, the notion that if one country fell, they'd fall one after another.

Now, Vietnam bought twenty years from the French defeat to the US withdrawl, during which time the countries on the other side of the Indochina domino, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore had a chance to stablize their governments and develop their economies.

None of those countries fell to communism. So, was Vietnam as much of a defeat as we think? After all, we achieved our geo-strategic goal: protecting more valued countries.

Couple Vietnam with other Cold War battlegrounds of the 70s and 80s, such as Afghanistan, Chile, Nicaragua, South-west Africa, and Ethiopia and it is clear the US was able to force the Soviet Union (and Cuba to a lesser extent, although Cuban troops showed very well in African battles) to overextend it resources while we committed very little.

The fact is, we won the Cold War, and the Cold War was our reason for fighting in Vietnam. Vietnam was far more of a defeat in internal US politics than it was in our foreign affairs.

The Brits in all our wars? Where were the Brits in our Latin American wars? Oh, yeah, the Monroe Doctrine.

But, it was kind of the Brits to take a disproportionate number of the casualties in the recent Iraqi Oil War.

Just an opinion? NO! It's an opinion backed with information.

It's this amazing trick where you develop an "argument", instead of just saying something and going "nuh-uh!" and "if you want to say that then say it".

Reducing all arguments to opinion is an old rhetorical defense. It's the old ostrich approach. "Well, that's your opinion . . ." C'mon!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 21:22
Would you drop the damn thing now? I'm disgusted that people like you would turn a topic about a celebration into a political flamewar.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 21:52
Mouse . . . I'm baffled . . . Isn't the 4th, by nature, political?

But, then Aristotle never said Mouse was a political animal.

OK.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:00
i'm quite agreeing with Mouse.
Yes, u got a point about its being a political nature.

And its pretty nice to read about history being told again.
But i think 'adding' the dissing between countries, with the 'my country was better than yours' thing, is not really a nice thing to say on a glorious day (or on a good-hearted topic).

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:05
Quote: "Mouse . . . I'm baffled . . . Isn't the 4th, by nature, political?"

Even the first post contains a political comment.

Quote: "-Didn't buy French wine (or the cashier prolly sabatoged it, whether or not it matters to you)"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:21
you give people and inch of string and they just run with it for miles don't they ...

8truths, i'd strongly suggest you just shut up!

i really don't give a damn'd what reasons you think you had for posting in the first place, but there ain't no way in hell i'm gonna just sit here and listen to drivel that disrespects so many nations.
people like you give the states its bad name so why don't you go back under the rock you crawled from and stay there.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:50
Quote: "8truths, i'd strongly suggest you just shut up!"

Raven is truly relentless in his flaming, isn't he? I say OK on the ending it, and Raven pops in here with some fuel because his flame is dying . . . Truly relentless. Ah . . .

I will operate under the assumption that Mouse doesn't want this one to erupt again . . .

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 04:18
8truths, in the same position I personally think you would also have taken to oppurtunity to take a last jab.

Either way, thank both of you for taking this elsewhere. I'll post in your new topic what I mean.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 04:50
lmao... a flame? hehee, if thats a flame then i must be down to using my lighters

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 06:34
No, it's called a potshot. You're sniping, not flaming.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 06:46
yup and my rifle hold 7 shells

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:54:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:54:18