Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Thinking of buying DarkBASIC Pro?? MORE DarkBASIC PRO errors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this crap even work?? Heres another error that doesnt make sense....

Using an example FPS, that uses .X for levels:

rem Load map, lightmap, and collision data
load object "data/level.x",56
load object "data/level_lm.x",55
loadcollisiondata("data/level.col")

Now this will load fine... but when I take a map actually the same map and export it from CShop, I copy all the files to the same folder as this one, and add the code:

rem Load map, lightmap, and collision data
load object "data/sewage1.x",56
load object "data/sewage1_lm.x",55
loadcollisiondata("data/sewage1.col")

I get the error: Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist on line 47
47 is this line:

loadcollisiondata("data/sewage1.col")

That file is in the CORRECT directory as I tried this over 10 times including reinstalling DBPro... I do this with my DarkBASIC and ofcourse it works WITHOUT any problems.... but I paid $99 for DBPro expecting it would be better and I've had nothing but problems... this error is completely false... This product has been nothing but problems, converting old programs that still dont work, I have yet to see any improvement at all that DBPro supposedly offers... I mean screenshots are fine.. but any program I make in DBPro always seems to have one problem or another .. I never had this problem in Darkbasic... It seems to be nothing but problems as half of THEIR OWN INCLUDED EXAMPLES dont even work... Some work, some dont...

Anakin

DBPro patch 4, CShop 2.08

Windows XP Pro, Directx 9.x

P4 3GHz, 2 GIG RAM, Audigy 2, FX 5900 Ultra
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Next Error:

In the instructions, to uninstall the program, Im supposed to goto control panel, add/remove programs, then DarkBASIC Pro.

The error I get is:

Error CreateFile(D:\DOCUME~1\anakin\LOCALS~1\Temp\set6.tmp)

This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Ok I made sure the program wasn't running and I rebooted numerous times and still I can't download this level or delete the file unless I goto safe mode... wow fun

Anakin
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Next Error:

Clicking Start-->Programs-->DarkBASIC SOFTWARE-->DarkBASIC Pro Setup

Returns an error:

Error CreateFile(D:\DOCUME~1\anakin\LOCALS~1\Temp\set7.tmp)

This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

More fun on the way!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 13:40
where do you get loadcollisiondata from?, there isn`t such a function as far as I know, my Pro install (fully patched) thinks that is a data statement, so the compiler prolly reads it as .... load "collisiondata("data\sewage1.col")"
that would explain why the file is missing, it can`t find "collisiondata("data\sewage1.col")"
or is this some function you are using?, in that case you might want to check the function name and parameters are correct in the call and the definition (also if it is a function call I think you might have some problems loading files from a function...I use Gosubs), most errors of this type are due to typo`s and/or DBs occasional habit of putting the error on the wrong line, or even the wrong error on the wrong line, have you tried debug mode?

Mentor.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 14:09
Quote: "where do you get loadcollisiondata from?, there isn`t such a function as far as I know, my Pro install (fully patched) thinks that is a data statement, so the compiler prolly reads it as .... load "collisiondata("data\sewage1.col")"
that would explain why the file is missing, it can`t find "collisiondata("data\sewage1.col")"
or is this some function you are using?,"

It's from the CShop FPSengine example.

I've used this example with dbp and it works fine. Plus, all oincluded examples work for me so instead of ranting on about how bad DBP is try and find out what makes your PC so different from mine, or why you code doesn't work.

Do you have a .dbpro project file for your project? I've found any project without a .dbpro file will not reconise relative paths.

My spec:
Athlon 2800+
GF4 ti4800
XP Pro
Audigy 2

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 15:42
You might also want to consider the fact that DBP is in it's 5th Iteration where as DarkBASIC finished after 19 updates. That means 4 times as many bug fixes and hence why DB's stability is unquestionable. Of course things are going to work in it more often then DBP, however, they also run a lot slower and you can't use as many advanced features. Wait a couple months and Upgrade 5 should be out and then most of the bugs should be gone.

Interestingly enough is that many people report bugs where I haven't come across any so like David suggests, hardware could be an issue in your case and many others.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 21:51
"where do you get loadcollisiondata from?, there isn`t such a function as far as I know"

It's a function that comes with Cartography Shop and was never designed to work with DBPro. Ever. I think someone posted a DBPro version of this function however, infact I'm sure they did, but unless this guy has converted the code over I'm not particularly surprised it doesn't do anything.

As for "half" the examples not working, show me one?

As for the uninstall, this is well known and a result of the InstallSheild wrapper being incorrectly configured. I have a blank IS stub here that will remove DBPro from any PC and send it to those who ask (via email).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
New DBS Web Sites Coming Soon - All Change
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
<David89 > "Do you have a .dbpro project file for your project? I've found any project without a .dbpro file will not reconise relative paths."

Exactly my point, why dont they tell me this???

<Exeat> "You might also want to consider the fact that DBP is in it's 5th Iteration where as DarkBASIC finished after 19 updates. That means 4 times as many bug fixes and hence why DB's stability is unquestionable."

Theres no mathematical formula to compute the number of bugs one program will have over another... the amount of bugs in one program is totally independent from another program...

<rich> "As for "half" the examples not working, show me one?"

Well the tutorai for the FPS that came with DBPro, tutorial 2,3,4 werent working at all but then tutorial 9 would work... Maybe it was what David89 said about making a project or DBPro wont recognize relative paths, Ill check later, and post if that fixed my problem or not.

Thanks for responding everyone,

Anakin
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 22:38
ah! I makes me own functions an editors I does (well? I LIKE to struggle )

Mentor.

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
When the same level is viewed in DarkBasic its fine but in DBPro is extremely bright... any ideas?

DB VERSION:

DB PRO VERSION

It seems that APPEND OBJECT COMMAND in this line of code no longer works in DBPro:

LOAD OBJECT "idle.x",1 : APPEND OBJECT "walk.x",1,100

This line of code worked great in DBASIC, but when I used it in DB PRO I get:

Runtime Error: Animation keyframe does not exist ...

Ofcourse if I take the APPEND OBJECT "walk.x",1,100 line out it works but then the player doesn't animate when he walks :/

I don't see anything about the APPEND OBJECT command in the DBPRO instructions that says it was one of the commands that has been altered/changed/a problem/ etc... it lists this command just like in DBasic...

Anakin
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 09:12
Quote: "Theres no mathematical formula to compute the number of bugs one program will have over another... the amount of bugs in one program is totally independent from another program...
"

That's right, there isn't a mathematical formula. There's common sense.

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You might also want to consider the fact that DBP is in it's 5th Iteration where as DarkBASIC finished after 19 updates. That means 4 times as many bug fixes and hence why DB's stability is unquestionable. Of course things are going to work in it more often then DBP"

Well this isn't common sense.. its no sense...

Anakin
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 14:40
Dark Basic has been patched 20 times, DBP has been patched 5. Quite simply, in those 20 patches Dark Basic has had a lot more bugs fixed then DBP has had in those 5. How does that not make sense?

Maybe try a little harder to get your head around it.

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
You make no sense because the amount of bugs in one piece of software (DBPro) is independent of how many times DarkBASIC has been patched. Maybe you should re-think again again what you're saying and what you're trying to say.

Anakin
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
The fact is, I bought beta software at a retail price... A simple line of code like this:

LOAD OBJECT "idle.x",1 : APPEND OBJECT "walk.x",1,100

produces an error... Its clear that I have to go back to DarkBASIC for hopefully a short time and then return to DB Pro later...

Anakin
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 23:10
Quote: "You make no sense because the amount of bugs in one piece of software (DBPro) is independent of how many times DarkBASIC has been patched. Maybe you should re-think again again what you're saying and what you're trying to say"

It makes perfect sense. He is simply relating DBpro's and DB's patching record and how many before DB became stable. The fact that DB and DBpro are made by the same people, have suffered similar early instability and progressive patching to fix these problems would make it very possible to reflect on DB's past record and possibly estimate DBpro's future.

project: light/obscurance mapper (85% done)
anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It makes perfect sense. He is simply relating DBpro's and DB's patching record and how many before DB became stable. "

Its still unrelated, the author of DBPro possible could of gotten things to run smoothly faster then he did with DBasic...

Quote: "The fact that DB and DBpro are made by the same people, have suffered similar early instability and progressive patching to fix these problems would make it very possible to reflect on DB's past record and possibly estimate DBpro's future."

You're trying to compare one software's bug problems with another's who has been completely rewritten from scratch, including the experience gained from what they learned with DBasic. DB Pro can have a lot fewer bugs or a lot more bugs then DBasic, its been rewritten and using DB's past record to estimate DBpro's future record isn't necessarily going to work... I mean thats like saying half life 2 will have the same amount of problems as half life 1 had... may it will, or maybe it wont... But I guess you'd probably think they would since they're made by the same people?

Anakin
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 23:46
I will tell you what doesn't make sense, Its your persitience in making out DB and DBpro are completely unrelated in terms of Bugs and updates. Clearly they have BOTH suffered major problems. DB had recieved a lot of patches and DBPRO has and looks to recieve a large number of patches as well. I can't see how you could miss the blindingly obvious relation between the two programs.

project: light/obscurance mapper (85% done)
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 00:06 Edited at: 7th Jul 2003 00:08
What Anakin is saying is true. Even if its the same makers, Anakin has a point. Whos to say that the makers didnt learn from their mistakes with DBClassic, & impliment them in Pro?

However, there are more factors involved here, than most of us could possibly comprehend, without a proper understanding of the debugging procedures, which I doubt that most people on these forums have at this time (full knowlegde of every debugging thing implimented.)

All im trying to say is, I can see where Anakin is going with this. Oh, & BTW Haggisman, most likely, DBPro & DBClassic are most likely unrelated for the most part on the bug hunt.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 11:14
I know what he means but the fact of the matter is: Both DBP and DB did have major bugs and issues that needed to be patched. And when DB has had so many more upgrades and fixes then DBP we can quite clearly see that it's more stable.

Now forget about the IF and the COULD and look at the facts:
-DB 1.0 was just as buggy as DBP 1.0
-20 Patches later DB is stable
-5 patches later DBP isn't

Do you see the connection yet? I know DBP could have had a million more fixes in each of thier patches but they didn't. And what they did and didn't do is all that matters.

anakin
Years of Service
User Offline
Exeat:

You're still talking about this?? I dont care what you believe.. believe whatever you want.. I really could care less, you were no help before and you're no help now...

Anakin
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 15:06
Maybe if you could provide some more information when describing your problems rather then just posting "Boohoo DBP sucks" then I would be able to provide assistance.

But Keep talking like that and no one will want to help you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:31:39