Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Changing only part of an object's material/texture?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

See this ball here? The white areas will always have the same texture and/or shader. I want the red areas to be able to change color by using an RGB value. They do not necessarily need to be able to change colors in real time, but it may be useful as a "bells and whistles" element of sorts later.

Essentially, my plan is to build characters out of objects like this, and have the color scheme be customizable by allowing the player to change the previously mentioned red area to whatever color they would like, as opposed to just tinting the entire object. My question is, how would I go about pulling this off in DBP?

By the way, I understand some advanced topics, such as memblocks, fully, although I'm not entirely familiar with using texture-related commands. I can do simple things, like shifting a texture or applying a single texture without mapping, but otherwise I don't really know my texture functions.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2008 15:22
There is a plugin designed for exactly this purpose:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=texturemax

The Air Pump
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2008 02:56 Edited at: 25th Apr 2008 02:57
Yeah, some of us don't have a credit card. Any way to do that for free?

EDIT: Even just being able to tint a single texture used in a model while using two textures would be swell, too.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 19:51 Edited at: 27th Apr 2008 20:10
you have to correctly texture your object with an alpha map, leaving the parts which will change color open and then use set object diffuse command to change color of only a part of the object.

Here is an example:
Use attached image

Here is another way without blend mapping:

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 14:31:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 14:31:26